5 gallon extreme igloo MLT
  • C_BC_B
    Here is my quick and simple MLT build. It isn't as cheap as it could be, but it is cheap enough. I got the cooler for free (new) and had the ball valve and most of the copper.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    The copper manifold. It is all soldered except two joints in the middle so that I can split it in half. I soldered it because the joints were too loose otherwise and this seemed to help the siphon action when the wort level gets low. I had roughly 1/4" of water left in the bottom when the siphon broke on the trial run.
    top of copper manifold.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 398K
  • C_BC_B
    The bottom of the manifold. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel and went roughly half way into the copper. This could also be done with a hacksaw. I need to add more. The flow isn't quite what I want for a batch sparge.
    bottom of copper manifold.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 339K
  • C_BC_B
    The ball valve assembly. I used a copper nipple to go through the wall of the cooler. Several appropriately sized washer on both sides and a big rubber washer to seal it up from the inside. I did not seal the outside also because I want to know if it is leaking into the cooler between the inner and outer walls. You'll note with this cooler there is no insulation between the walls where the valve is. That made getting a good seal and really tightening this fitting down a lot easier. Now that I know the design works I am going to switch to stainless steel washers and a silicone washer. Maybe even high temp gasket maker, but that stuff is messy.
    MLT valve assembly.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 431K
  • C_BC_B
    The look from the outside of the cooler. I just used regular siphon hose I had laying around. Eventually I will replace it with silicone hose. Maybe. Or better yet some fixed plumbing that comes out and makes the 90* turn with a hose attached to that. This tends to kink with the hot liquid if I don't put a cup or beer glass under it sideways.
    MLT outside.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 519K
  • C_BC_B
    And here is the look from inside. Again I used regular siphon hose. Probably not good at this temp. I'll get the right stuff sometime. And I haven't knocked that off while stirring yet. It fits on there pretty tight.
    Manifold in MLT.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 389K
  • C_BC_B
    In use.
    IMAG0272.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 454K
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Nice post. I use an almost identical manifold, but I run off of the middle tube. Also I found I could just jam a 1/2 pipe into the outlet for the spout and use a hose clamp. Hard to explain and it leaks a little now and then... I'll have to take a pic once I clean up this brew.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    here's a noob question...
    what's that for? as in what purpose does it serve?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Well it's to mash and lauter (sp?)... how noob do you want to go with that?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

the ball valve and tube that's attached to it serves to reduce the flow of wort coming out of the mash tun. it's important to restrict the draining liquids when you are fly sparging, so that the hot water that's draining down over the grains has enough time to draw out the sugars.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy

just thinking there might be folks coming here who don't have the slightest idea what that is and an explanation would be nice. noob friendly and all.

that ought to do it.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Nice build dude!!! For the noobs, the Mash Lauter Tun (MLT) is a vessel in which a homebrewer converts starches into fermentable sugars. You could, as a homebrewer, save money from buying syrup to making your own via the all grain method. With a small investment of about $70-80, you could make beer the traditional way.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    djsethall said:

Nice build dude!!! For the noobs, the Mash Lauter Tun (MLT) is a vessel in which a homebrewer converts starches into fermentable sugars. You could, as a homebrewer, save money from buying syrup to making your own via the all grain method. With a small investment of about $70-80, you could make beer the traditional way.

And if your a crafty cheapskate you could do it for even less. I think mine came to about $40, and if you can get the cooler on sale you could do it for even less.

-Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

djsethall said:

And if your a crafty cheapskate you could do it for even less. I think mine came to about $40, and if you can get the cooler on sale you could do it for even less.

mine was about $18. woohoo!
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Sweet, where did you get your cooler? And what did you use for a manifold?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Sweet, where did you get your cooler? And what did you use for a manifold?

details are here:

http://www.homebrewforums.net/discussion/129/very-simple-mash-tun#Item_1
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Cheater, you got all that a long time ago! These days the SS mesh would run $8-14, the cooler about $20, and a few buck for the rest (unless you found some or all of the stuff on sale or something).
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    yep 3ish years ago. the mesh was off of a plumbing hose i had lying around, so it was only about $2-3.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    This is pretty cool!
    Since I can't brew for a couple months I need something brewing related to work on.
    I think I am going start leading away from BIAB and make me a mash tun.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

This is pretty cool!
    Since I can't brew for a couple months I need something brewing related to work on.

it's a nice little project, and doesn't cost a fortune.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

This is pretty cool!

Just gotta teach myself how to solder!
    To the Youtube!!!
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

This is pretty cool!

To the Youtube!!!

takes about 5 minutes to learn. fun with fire!
  • ceanntceannt
    sweet write up
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

This is pretty cool!

To the Youtube!!!

takes about 5 minutes to learn. fun with fire!

Yeah, the only things to pay attention to are this:
    1) Clean the connections well, sand paper for the tube end and wire brush for inside the fitting work best.
    2) use flux liberally, make sure you have flux designed for your solder. Use lead free silver solder for brewery items since the low pH of the mash will gladly free the lead into your drink.
    3) Heat the fitting not the pipe, once the fitting is hot enough remove the flame and apply solder to the joint. The heat in the fitting will draw the solder in.
    4) Once the joint is filled up with solder wipe the joint with a rag to smooth it all out and ensure there are no blobs or voids.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny