Redneck 1.5bbl brewery
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Oh, I was wondering what's the lowest pressure you can run a keg at to keep it carbonated? 55gal drums can take 5psi (so I've read), but at 6 or 7 the end "fill out".
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what temp are you going to store it at?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Outside temp.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Just as long as you crank up "redneck piece of white trash" by rebel son while you brew ..
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Just as long as you crank up "redneck piece of white trash" by rebel son while you brew ..

My truck don't have no radio, maybes I gets me one down that trash heap before somun start them tire up burnin' gane.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Outside temp.

flat warm beer, mmmm.
  • C_BC_B

Outside temp.

flat warm beer, mmmm.

At room temp, 5psi equals this. At nearly freezing it'll be really cold almost flat beer.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Outside temp.

flat warm beer, mmmm.

At room temp, 5psi equals this. At nearly freezing it'll be really cold almost flat beer.

I didn't say room temp, i said outside temp, sometimes that's well below freezing.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I'm not talking about force carbing, priming sugar and pressure regulator, well a crazy tall air lock: 27" of water displacement ~=1psi
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

I'm perry sure the yeast and a half lb or Norther Brewer hops are on my neighbor's front step (I think the postal guy is afraid of my yard).

I guess my neighbor/landlord is afraid of my yard too....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    I can't wait for this brew day.
  • jlwjlw
    It seem like this beer has been in the planning stages for at least a year...Oh wait it has. This beer may be the greatest hombrew project EVER.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

It seem like this beer has been in the planning stages for at least a year...Oh wait it has. This beer may be the greatest hombrew project EVER.

Really depends on what you think "great" means.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Seems like it'll really happen if I get my yeast & hops.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Where are all of the pictures?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Sorry, power outage made that difficult. I was brewing by candle light, but don't worry, I didn't use a Yankee Candle, I made myself a Confederate Candle (wife took this pic):
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    brewing by candle light only adds to the lore of this thread.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

truly. this is going to be considered a historic moment in homebrewing.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

truly. this is going to be considered a historic moment in homebrewing.

Yeah .... they are going to talk about it at the ER for years .....
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Sorry, power outage made that difficult. I was brewing by candle light, but don't worry, I didn't use a Yankee Candle, I made myself a Confederate Candle (wife took this pic):

it looks like a candle klan meeting...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I now have 10 gal of 1.100 wort, and 5gal of 1.150 wort. Next step it to boil it...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Well poop. The drum I was going to ferment in is bare steel inside. I really should have looked inside of that sooner... It's the right thing for boiling, but worst thing for fermenting. I'm not sure what I should do now. I've got lots of plastic drums, though none are at all clean (and closed top so hard to clean), I could swing by work and pick up a maple syrup drum that is painted on the inside (but also closed top and hard to clean, but more heat resistant).
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    But there shouldn't be much o2 inside post boil..... And the yeast will eat what there is fast anyway...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

Well poop. The drum I was going to ferment in is bare steel inside. I really should have looked inside of that sooner... It's the right thing for boiling, but worst thing for fermenting. I'm not sure what I should do now. I've got lots of plastic drums, though none are at all clean (and closed top so hard to clean), I could swing by work and pick up a maple syrup drum that is painted on the inside (but also closed top and hard to clean, but more heat resistant).

what about one of those big plastic drums that curly posted about a long time ago. Maybe he found them at walmart? At least it would be clean.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

what about one of those big plastic drums that curly posted about a long time ago. Maybe he found them at walmart? At least it would be clean.

Yeah, I have about 6 of those, but they are nasty and hard to clean. I can't justify buying a thing i have...

I'm looking into cathodic protection systems, but don't want to add to much zinc to my beer.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    For primary .... a big plastic trash can or two is fine .... standard equipment back in the 70s
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

For primary .... a big plastic trash can or two is fine .... standard equipment back in the 70s

HA!
    I realized I do have an open head plastic drum. It's nasty, but much more cleanable. I'm going to go dump bleach in it right now... But I did want to try the cathode thing. Maybe with a car battery and a stainless anode?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I got everything ready to go and realized my turkey frier regular doesn't work. So I might do a lot of inside boils... but the 99% humidity will make that really shitty for live in here.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

So I got everything ready to go and realized my turkey frier regular doesn't work. So I might do a lot of inside boils... but the 99% humidity will make that really shitty for live in here.

Awesome. Well, at least your wife will have well moisturized skin.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

bonfire.
  • ThymThym

bonfire.

Do this.

And where are the pictures?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

bonfire.

Do this.

on my phone.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

bonfire.

If it was less raining I would have gone with this.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

bonfire.

Do this.

on my phone.

Fix that.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

bonfire.

Do this.

on my phone.

Fix that.

meh, someday.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

bonfire.

Do this.

on my phone.

Fix that.

I keep trying to, but this site will not let me. I guess I have to upload them to my computer and use photo shop to reduce their size... yeah that might happen, someday, maybe.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

bonfire.

Do this.

on my phone.

Fix that.

I keep trying to, but this site will not let me. I guess I have to upload them to my computer and use photo shop to reduce their size... yeah that might happen, someday, maybe.

just email them to me you wuss.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

bonfire.

Do this.

on my phone.

Fix that.

just email them to me you wuss.

I don't think I have your email. PM me.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    The air lock is showing signs of life.
    IMG_20130904_203525.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1015K
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Is that a condom?
  • jlwjlw

epic
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

epic
    This. I don't even know what else to say.

• FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

jlw said:

epic
    This. I don't even know what else to say.

beer.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    1) I think the was when I first started to sparge the second mash.

2) I made some sushi wile sparging. It's good with PBR.

3) Infection bucket!

4) Boiling

5) What infection looks like when you boil it.

6) boiling more of it.

7) No chill. Rapped the kettle in shrink rap to keep the buggies out over night.

8) My starter and fermenter... and foot

9) Starter in place ready for more wort.
    IMG_20130901_165850_web.png
    450 x 600 - 788K
    IMG_20130901_212003_web.png
    450 x 600 - 731K
    IMG_20130902_202344_web.png
    450 x 600 - 753K
    IMG_20130902_205606_web.png
    450 x 600 - 793K
    IMG_20130902_211411_web.png
    450 x 600 - 657K
    IMG_20130902_214243_web.png
    450 x 600 - 675K
    IMG_20130902_222957_web.png
    450 x 600 - 519K
    IMG_20130903_172150_web.png
    450 x 600 - 705K
    IMG_20130903_172153_web.png
    450 x 600 - 614K
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    That "fermenter" is far from full....
  • ThymThym
    Did you make the sushi?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

That "fermenter" is far from full....

That's just the starter.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Lakewood said:

Did you make the sushi?

Yeah, making it again tonight. Have some sapporos this time.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    How the hell am I going to get the beer out of the fermenter? I'll have to do it a few times. I don't want to bottle it all at once. I could scoop it out with 5gal buckets, but my basement is nasty. I don't know if I could pull that off without causing problems. I could set up a siphon, but could I leave that in and still keep the bugs out?

Also, how long should I ferment? A 7Bbl batch in a conical takes about a week and a 5gal home brew takes 3. Should I split the difference, or just err on the side of caution and go with 3?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

How the hell am I going to get the beer out of the fermenter? I'll have to do it a few times. I don't want to bottle it all at once. I could scoop it out with 5gal buckets, but my basement is nasty. I don't know if I could pull that off without causing problems. I could set up a siphon, but could I leave that in and still keep the bugs out?

Also, how long should I ferment? A 7Bbl batch in a conical takes about a week and a 5gal home brew takes 3. Should I split the difference, or just err on the side of caution and go with 3?

Longer is fine.

I would probably have stuck a valve on the side.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Longer is fine.

Valve in the side was a plan at some point, but I ended up using a drum I hadn't planned on using.... So I'm thinking hole in the side near the top and a siphon tube pressed through it. Valve at the end of those hose, some chewing gum sealing the hole....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Longer is fine.

Valve in the side was a plan at some point, but I ended up using a drum I hadn't planned on using.... So I'm thinking hole in the side near the top and a siphon tube pressed through it. Valve at the end of those hose, some chewing gum sealing the hole....

I was with you up to the chewing gum.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    get ready to bottle 4000 beers.
  • ThymThym

get ready to bottle 4000 beers.

Ewww
  • ceanntceannt
    just an idea..... run by the junkyard... see if you can get one of them faucets from an RV.... the are a hand pump type deal... so basically a "beer engine"
    Run a beer line into the fermenter and done.... just like cask ale...
  • ceanntceannt
    and put that stuff in the big PET soda bottles.... red neck growlers....
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

PET? Who was the last redneck you met (not Jerry) that knew what PET meant? For that matter who was the last redneck you met that could spell "pet"?
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

PET? Who was the last redneck you met (not Jerry) that knew what PET meant? For that matter who was the last redneck you met that could spell "pet"?

odds are they use it all the time... and just don't know what its made out of.... so... they don't have to spell it, just drink mountain dew out of it.... and as one red-neck I know has on his bumper sticker.....

"Don't sweat they petty things... pet the sweaty things"
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Tapped.
    IMG_20130910_173340.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    IMG_20130910_173411.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 2M
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Near beer...
    IMG_20130910_173703.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    It's a rough drink still, but it seems like it has the potential to become okay.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm lost, what happened to the barrel boiling tire fire?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Benvarine said:

I'm lost, what happened to the barrel boiling tire fire?

didn't happen. Instead many boils happened on my stove, all of really high gravity and lots of water was added. Next time the big boil will happen.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Awesome, we will certainly want photos of that. Might be problems with scorching however, but don't nobody got time to worry about that.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Benvarine said:

Awesome, we will certainly want photos of that. Might be problems with scorching however, but don't nobody got time to worry about that.

Scorching just adds flavor... And keeps the kettle from rusting.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    The first of many bottling days.
    1379452644754.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I just put a little sugar in each to carb them.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    How did the sample taste at bottling?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

How did the sample taste at bottling?

I'm not sampling that shit till it's fucking ice cold. Mountains need to be blue, if not god... :-&
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

That is darker than I expected.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

That is darker than I expected.

That's what she said.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    It is lighter than it looks in that pic. It's a light brown/ dark red.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    looks fantastic.
  • ceanntceannt
    So you went with the soda bottles .... cool
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

It was very quick and it's not like I'm bottle aging this. I'm going to pop open the first on right now....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

ceannt said:

It was very quick and it's not like I'm bottle aging this. I'm going to pop open the first on right now....

AND?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Not that bad... It'll be better with some carbonation. I wish it was dryer, but some of that is priming sugar. The sour level is really good, more would be okay but make it leas drinkable, m
    Leas would be be hard to pick out of the flavor profile in an annoying way.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Should have done a protein rest and chilled.
    1379540774791.jpg
    1944 x 2592 - 1M
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    How. That's red.
  • C_BC_B
    If you can stomach drinking it I'd call this whole thing a win.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Total cost about was about $100.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

Total cost about was about $100.

Then I stand by my assessment.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Now I need to drink it all.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If I dink nothing but this for 4 or 5 weeks I'm in the black on the olde booze budget
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

If I dink nothing but this for 4 or 5 weeks I'm in the black on the olde booze budget

You can do it.
  • ceanntceannt

Just shotgun it!
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

Okay, first I need to get a really big cathider bag and call out of work dead.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

just show them this thread. they'll understand.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

This
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

Okay, first I need to get a really big cathider bag and call out of work dead.t

Understand that they don't want me on their property ever again.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

Duh
  • FuzzyFuzzy

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

or they'll promote you.
  • ceanntceannt
    They would put you in charge of the whole operation .... all that ingenuity and resourcefulness ...
  • ceanntceannt
    Then again .... they might just fire your ass
  • ceanntceannt
    And put out a restraining order
  • C_BC_B

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Good thing this thread is behind the wall.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ummm.... yeah. pretty sure User Builds is an open area topic.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

D'Oh!

• FuzzyFuzzy
    Ha!
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

C_B said:

ceannt said:

Just shotgun it!

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

D'Oh!

Yeah .... this....