AHS Fall ESB
  • jlwjlw
    Here is the recipe for one of the kits I bought from AHS. What do you think about the mash temp at 152*? Not much else i can change except for maybe the hop schedule.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
    Recipe: Fall ESB
    Brewer: Yo Mama
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 7.19 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
    Estimated Color: 12.8 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 36.3 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.1 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.3 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.6 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
    2.1 oz Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.3 %
    1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 28.3 IBUs
    0.75 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop 6 7.1 IBUs
    0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.0 IBUs
    1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 6.1 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 14.49 qt of water at 166.4 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (5.06gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
    ------
  • jlwjlw
    Oh and two things that are different. BS didn't have Crystal 90 so I used 80 just to plug it in I figured it was close enough just to get built out.

Also, I'm using Sterling Yeast English Ale Yeast 514 not US04 but again BS didn't have Sterling as a yeast.
  • ceanntceannt
    I normally mash these at 154.... but this recipe calls for a lot of crystal... way more than I would put in there... so 152 will work just fine

I would also bump the 5 minute hop addition up to an ounce... but I'm a wild and crazy guy....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I normally mash these at 154.... but this recipe calls for a lot of crystal... way more than I would put in there... so 152 will work just fine

I would also bump the 5 minute hop addition up to an ounce... but I'm a wild and crazy guy....

Well. I would like to bump the hops but that is all they gave me so ill have to go with that. Unless I can find hops in the freezer
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

Well. I would like to bump the hops but that is all they gave me so ill have to go with that. Unless I can find hops in the freezer

bummer.....
  • jlwjlw
    That's the problem with kits, which is why I almost never buy them. But this ESB is being brewed for a friend so in a way I don't exactly care.
  • ceanntceannt
    It's all good then
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

agreed on all points.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    I have no SG'd in the freezer but I do have

Magnum
    Goldings3/4 oz (i don't know if they Styrian)
    and some WGV 8 oz

What would you do?
    @ceannt @fromzwolle
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I have no SG'd in the freezer but I do have

Magnum
    Goldings3/4 oz (i don't know if they Styrian)
    and some WGV 8 oz

What would you do?
    @ceannt @fromzwolle

wgv goldings!
  • ceanntceannt
    WGV! !!!!!!!!
  • ceanntceannt
    Late additions ... best aroma hop on the planet
  • jlwjlw
    How much and would you add anohter hop addition? Or just add more in at the 5 min?
  • ceanntceannt
    An ounce to 2 ounces ... between 5 minutes and flameout
  • jlwjlw
    I'll make it 2 oz's
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

I'll make it 2 oz's

Kinda figured you would :)
    modern versions lean way more towards bittering additions ... but used to be way more hop forward ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Just a thought .... you might want to toss in about 2 ounces of light brown sugar in there (late)... might take the edge off the sweetness of all that crystal
  • jlwjlw
    Good idea on the sugar. I don't like all the crystal but they don't tell ou amounts until you get the package.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .... pretty much ....
    I use a little less than half of what they put in there ......
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Good idea on the sugar. I don't like all the crystal but they don't tell ou amounts until you get the package.

one of the reasons i don't do kits. that and the cost.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Just a thought .... you might want to toss in about 2 ounces of light brown sugar in there (late)... might take the edge off the sweetness of all that crystal

brown sugar is tasty in beer. do it.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

brown sugar is tasty in beer. do it.

Very tasty ... especially in one of these ....
    you could actually go up to 4 ounces ... but 2 is probably enough at this gravity
  • jlwjlw
    The cool thing about these add on's is its now my recipe.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

The cool thing about these add on's is its now my recipe.

This!