Is DMS a Worry With Modern Pilsner Malt?
  • scoobscoob
    I have a pretty well tuned palette and can pick up on a lot of flavors in a beer, one thing I have yet to pick up on is DMS in any beer I have brewed with pilsner malt, and I have never bothered with a boil longer than 60 minutes.

My normal process is to boil fairly hard, and chill as fast as possible. I have long believed that like hot side aeration and autolysis, DMS is just not a worry.

Could be from improvements in malting and grain quality, but I think people worry too much about the DMS boogie man, they may have never tasted DMS, but they will boil for 90 minutes, perform a d-rest when brewing lagers, but don't really have a solid basis for why they do it...

Ok rabble... Your thoughts on this?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I'm not a lager, especially pilsner guy, but when talking to the brewer at Red Oak he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about d-rest. He went on to say that with a proper pitch it's just not needed.
    Sign here______________________________
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i've never had it in any of my beers. i'm a low boil type of brewer and i've done fairly long chilling without any issues. i've done no chill several times, but not on a high pils % beer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    I had serious DMS issues with pils malt when I first went all grain .... went to a lower boil and it went away ...but I am not so sure it was "modern" malt .. ;)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I had serious DMS issues with pils malt when I first went all grain .... went to a lower boil and it went away ...but I am not so sure it was "modern" malt .. ;)

in 1645, the year of our Lord?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    all i can say is that in many (most) of these "summer lagers" that craft breweries are putting out now.....they are totally riddled with DMS. many to the point that i can't drink them. granted, i am very sensitive to DMS, its about the only flavor i can totally pick up on.

point is, i think its still in there for sure.
  • scoobscoob
    Ok good to hear your experiences, I haven't been dinged on it in a comp thus far but have picked up on it in a couple home brews from another local brewer, his big issue was a real weak boil, like hardly bubbling sort of boil.

Maybe that isa common issue? Boil strength?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

all i can say is that in many (most) of these "summer lagers" that craft breweries are putting out now.....they are totally riddled with DMS. many to the point that i can't drink them. granted, i am very sensitive to DMS, its about the only flavor i can totally pick up on.

point is, i think its still in there for sure.

i don't think i'm very sensitive to it, but i don't often buy the summer beers.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm not even sure what it tastes like.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

I'm not even sure what it tastes like.

creamy corn. gross ass creamy corn that you taste after the swallow.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    its very common in helles lagers. almost part of the style there, so grab one of those to see if you can taste it.
  • C_BC_B

its very common in helles lagers. almost part of the style there, so grab one of those to see if you can taste it.

Will do.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants