Hopped up Robust Porter - build thread
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to brew a hopped up robust porter this weekend. Looking for help developing a complex hop profile with ingredients I have on hand.

Hops:
    Magnum - almost a 1lb
    Cascade - 1/2 lb
    Centenial - a few ounces
    Chinook - a few ounces
    Crystal - 1.75 oz
    Citra - 3/4 oz

Here is the base recipe:

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 7.19 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
    Estimated Color: 43.7 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 51.2 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.4 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.6 %
    12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
    9.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
    8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
    4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.5 %
    1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 42.9 IBUs
    0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 8.3 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 6.6 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 16.13 qt of water at 162.9 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.14gal, 3.72gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • ceanntceannt
    interesting.... how "hopped up" do you want it?
    I would be tempted to FWH with a bunch of the Magnum.... 3-4 ounces? skip bittering additions entirely... and do late additions starting at 10-min. with the Crystal and Cascades.... maybe do all the Crystal between 5-min. and flame out....and dry hop with a bit more Cascades and just a touch of Chinook....

lot of options there... you could go in a lot of different directions with the hops you have on hand
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    I am definitely doing the FWH. I really need to use up the Magnum.

So let's lock that in

FWH with a bunch of Magnum
  • jlwjlw
    Also, what do you think about upping the Mash temp? I'm thinking 155*
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Also, what do you think about upping the Mash temp? I'm thinking 155*

I like Robust Porters at 156..... a little "chew" is a good thing in 'em
  • ceanntceannt
    Too bad you don't have any Northern Brewer ..... wonderful in a Porter
  • jlwjlw
    I can get Northern Brewer. I just plugged in 4 oz of Magnum in FWH and it gave me like 254 ibu's. Yikes! Can this be correct?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

I can get Northern Brewer. I just plugged in 4 oz of Magnum in FWH and it gave me like 254 ibu's. Yikes! Can this be correct?

no, shouldn't be anyway. i have used 3 oz of magnum before and it was nowhere near that.

is your volume set right?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
    9.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
    8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
    4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %

this is where i see an issue. with the chocolate, R barley, and patent you will have a hell of a time getting this beer "hopped up"

i would cut all those in half probably. but thats just me, and i like it a little more hop forward than some of you.

alternately, drop the chocolate malt entirely and rely on the chocolately notes from the roasted barley.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    as for the hops, i would use all those, with the exception of not all the magnum.
    probably chinook, centennial and a little cascade for mad flava, magnum for FWH, and everything else is aroma and dry hopping.
  • ceanntceannt
    That is a lot of roasted/dark grains ...
    Anymore I make my robust porters backwards from what I used to ... no roasted barley ... a lot of chocolate malt (a pound) and a little black patent (4 oz) I also put a couple pounds of munich and an oz of peat smoked malt in it ... but I use only Northern Brewer hops .. and it plays well together ....
  • ceanntceannt
    What is the AA% of your Magnum? .... with your original grain bill ... I get 134 IBU with 4 ounces FWHed...
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

What is the AA% of your Magnum? .... with your original grain bill ... I get 134 IBU with 4 ounces FWHed...

beersmith says 14%. Now these are older hops maybe a year old. I just checked again and yeah I have 4oz for 5.25 gallons. Also when you select FWH it still has the amount of steep time similar to boil. It defaults to 60 min. Not sure if that's correct? I dropped it to 0 min and I got zero ibu's.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

beersmith says 14%. Now these are older hops maybe a year old. I just checked again and yeah I have 4oz for 5.25 gallons. Also when you select FWH it still has the amount of steep time similar to boil. It defaults to 60 min. Not sure if that's correct? I dropped it to 0 min and I got zero ibu's.

I always calculate as a 20 minute addition.... the "perceived" bitterness is less than a 60 minutes boil ...
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

ceannt said:

I always calculate as a 20 minute addition.... the "perceived" bitterness is less than a 60 minutes boil ...

well that takes it down to 123 ibu's
  • jlwjlw
    and you two are saying opposite things on the grain bill. Think I will take a look at my black IIPA grain bill.
  • ceanntceannt
    That would certainly put it in the "hopped up" category ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

and you two are saying opposite things on the grain bill. Think I will take a look at my black IIPA grain bill.

fight fight fight fight!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

we're saying the same thing, just two different ways.
    that's a lot of big, flavorful, grain, and you might want to tweak it a little.
    how you tweak it is personal preference, i mean, this is sort of a hybrid beer category after all.

i'll be making one of these as soon as new hops come out, so we should swap at some point.
  • jlwjlw
    I tooled around with the original. Not sure if it's any better

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
    Recipe: George Washington Zombie Killer Robust Porter
    Brewer: George Washington
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Robust Porter
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
    Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
    Estimated Color: 34.4 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 160.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.1 %
    1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 8 2.2 %
    4.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 7 116.2 IBUs
    1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
    4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %
    1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
    0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 5.0 IBUs
    0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 2.8 IBUs
    0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 0.9 IBUs
    3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
    1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 9 35.5 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 1.0 oz
    Mash In Add 18.19 qt of water at 171.8 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.54gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • jlwjlw
    Too much big flavors? Too many hops? I haven't met a beer too hoppy so I think it will be ok?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    way way way more flavor hops. i would move the cascade from 40 minutes to 20 minutes as well. you have enough bittering hops for sure (might take an ounce out of that actually), but i don't think you'll get much hop flavor to stand against that grain bill as your flavor hops stand.

as i have said though, i am looking at this through the only lens i have, which is black ipa's. i have made several of those, some of which were probably technically porters.

bottom line, i may be wrong.
  • ceanntceannt

jlw said:

how you tweak it is personal preference, i mean, this is sort of a hybrid beer category after all.

i'll be making one of these as soon as new hops come out, so we should swap at some point.

I agree.... we just have a different "focus" ... both are legit... both will male good beer... mine is smoother.... his is sharper, with more "burnt coffee"....

that we differ on this focus should come as no suprise... look at our taste in hops... :)
  • ceanntceannt

way way way more flavor hops. i would move the cascade from 40 minutes to 20 minutes as well. you have enough bittering hops for sure (might take an ounce out of that actually), but i don't think you'll get much hop flavor to stand against that grain bill as your flavor hops stand.

as i have said though, i am looking at this through the only lens i have, which is black ipa's. i have made several of those, some of which were probably technically porters.

bottom line, i may be wrong.

with all the IBU from the FWH.... I wouldn't add any more hops until 15 min..... what he said about flavor...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

I agree.... we just have a different "focus" ... both are legit... both will male good beer... mine is smoother.... his is sharper, with more "burnt coffee"....

that we differ on this focus should come as no suprise... look at our taste in hops... :)

i prefer to female a good beer.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

jlw said:

i prefer to female a good beer.

Hah ..... *make ...
    Dang autocorrect .....
  • jlwjlw
    Ok. I read up a little more on Robust Porters. I'm trying to simplify the grain bill. So here is another take. Can i simplify more? How about the flava flav hops?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
    Recipe: George Washington Zombie Killer Robust Porter
    Brewer: George Washington
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Robust Porter
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
    Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
    Estimated Color: 28.4 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 167.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.0 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.8 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.5 %
    4.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 5 120.9 IBUs
    1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
    1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 11.7 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.6 IBUs
    3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
    1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 31.3 IBUs
    8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
    4.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 13.0 oz
    Mash In Add 16.63 qt of water at 171.7 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.78gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i like the look of that recipe now, the only thing i think i would change is to make it 2 oz of centennial at ten minutes, but that's because its one of my favorite flavor hops out there.
  • ceanntceannt
    Now yer talkin'
    I like that a lot ....
    And as much as it pains me .... I agree with fryboy on the extra ounce at 10 minutes
    it is after all ... a hopped up slap your granny zombie killin' Porter ....
  • jlwjlw
    twist my arm for more hops. The IBU's based on beer smith are 175. Now I am assuming that this being a porter it's not going to be that over the top hoppy?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

twist my arm for more hops. The IBU's based on beer smith are 175. Now I am assuming that this being a porter it's not going to be that over the top hoppy?

no, it won't be. i promise. with that amount of roast grain, i think it will be decently balanced
  • jlwjlw
    Getting ready to order ingredients. Last couple of questions. I think a 60 min mash should be adequate for this beer. Any reason to go to 90? Also, 60 min boil or longer?

• ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Getting ready to order ingredients. Last couple of questions. I think a 60 min mash should be adequate for this beer. Any reason to go to 90? Also, 60 min boil or longer?

60 is fine ....
    go with 20 minute sparge rests though ....
    No need for a long boil if your volumes are ok.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

isn't the taste threshold around 100 ibus? i thought that's what i read somewhere. if so, it wouldn't matter much if you go over, as long as you can balance it out with roastedness and gravity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the whole taste threshold thing is kind of B.S.
    some say its 80, some say its 100.
    i have tested it with my own beers, making the same recipe with 150 ibu's and with 80 ibu's (just reduced all hops by percentage) and the were vastly different beers.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i have tested it with my own beers, making the same recipe with 150 ibu's and with 80 ibu's (just reduced all hops by percentage) and the were vastly different beers.

ibu's frighten me :-SS

i think i'll stick to under 60. :D
  • C_BC_B

This. I want to see how this beer turns out. Then do it and knock out 25% of the hops. B-)
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    CB said:

This. I want to see how this beer turns out. Then do it and knock out 25% of the hops. B-)

I'll let you know when I GET to brew it. Friggen lhbs is closed for the weekend.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

CB said:

I'll let you know when I GET to brew it. Friggen lhbs is closed for the weekend.

BAH! Kick the door down. It's an emergency.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CB said:

jlw said:

CB said:

BAH! Kick the door down. It's an emergency.

call the police and tell them that you locked yourself out. they'll break in for you!
  • jlwjlw
    not sure this is going to be any good. It's hoppy alright. But bitter hoppy and not really in a good way. I hope some age will and it will mellow. It either needed less hops or more chocolate malts and stuff to balance it out. I'm going to let it age for a few months see how it goes then since hops tend to diminish over time.

• ceanntceannt
    Hmmm.... what's your water like? Could be that. Carbonates?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Hmmm.... what's your water like? Could be that. Carbonates?

sharp hop bitterness makes me think this ^
  • jlwjlw
    I have we'll water. Never had I tested and never have really had a problem. This bitterness is almost as if I ate a hop pellet.

ceannt
  • ceanntceannt
    Don't give up hope on it .... I bet it will smooth out in a few weeks
  • ceanntceannt
    I will dilute my water a lot .... with distilled ... if I brew something really hoppy
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I will dilute my water a lot .... with distilled ... if I brew something really hoppy

The weird thing is I have never had a problem like this before. My hoppy beers always turn out great. Hoping time will heal it, usually does.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

The weird thing is I have never had a problem like this before. My hoppy beers always turn out great. Hoping time will heal it, usually does.

Yep. A beer like this could stand to age some anyway ......
    It could also be the Ph was lowered by the roasted malts ......???
  • jlwjlw
    maybe I will get my water tested. Someting I have thought about doing anyway. Yes, I do believe it needs age.

• frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i have had this happen once, that intense, sharp bitterness. it mellowed slightly with age, but ended up....dumping it. i dumped it. yeah. that's what i did with it. :^o

in my case it was because i accidentally doubled the amount of 60 minute hop additions.
  • jlwjlw

i have had this happen once, that intense, sharp bitterness. it mellowed slightly with age, but ended up....dumping it. i dumped it. yeah. that's what i did with it. :^o

in my case it was because i accidentally doubled the amount of 60 minute hop additions.

I hope I don't have to. I was going to send some to you and ceannt but I won't lt anyone drink this if it doesn't turn out good.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I hope I don't have to. I was going to send some to you and ceannt but I won't lt anyone drink this if it doesn't turn out good.

if it does turn out crappy, you can send it all to me. ;)
  • ceanntceannt
    Lots of dark roasted malt + very soft water = harsh bitter astringent nasty

Lots of hops + high carbonate water! = harsh bitter nasty

Both ..... giving this some thought .... will require a delicate balance of water chemistry ... how to quantify ...I don't have a clue
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i just made a hoppy robust porter, posted the recipe here:
    http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/593/hop-blackula#Item_3
    supposed to be a black ipa, but then kind of watered it down, long story.
    point is, i am on a well. it is very very hard water. which i really like. tastes delicious.
    but i had to install a water softener because the glasses looked gross and we broke 3 coffee pots, etc..
    so now i soften the water just above the level where it won't form film on the glasses, but not so softened that you feel all slippery and weird after a shower.

i make super hoppy beers regularly, but have just recently dipped my toes in the waters of dark malts.
    neither have been overly bitter at all.
    certainly not saying that it won't cause it, just not sure that that should be the first reason jumped too. i think it was the hop additions early in the boil.
    also, i think it could have been the FWH, but i don't have all that experience with that because i was always afraid something liek the situation you are describing would happen.

happy to take a bottle and tell you what i think.
  • jlwjlw
    I also make super hopped up beers and have made plenty of dark beers. Never had this problem. My best beer is probably my black iipa.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

I also make super hopped up beers and have made plenty of dark beers. Never had this problem. My best beer is probably my black iipa.

i'll take one of those too! <):)
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

i'll take one of those too! <):) </p>

As soon as I make it again. I am going to make it with a twist soon. I am thinking about putting a little bit of rye in it.
  • jlwjlw
    I am pretty sure we have hard water.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

if your water was hard enough to effect a beer significantly though, all your glasses would be cloudy,(like gross cloudy) you would be plopping your shower head in vinegar every month because it was clogged, and you would break lots of coffee pots. lots and lots of coffee pots.
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah and we don't have any of that going on. I just think that it's over hopped (gasp). Or there just wasn't enough dark malts to balance the hops.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, that time i over hopped, i was shocked.

it......was.....possible.....

also done with magnum hops, which is interesting.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

jlw said:

if your water was hard enough to effect a beer significantly though, all your glasses would be cloudy,(like gross cloudy) you would be plopping your shower head in vinegar every month because it was clogged, and you would break lots of coffee pots. lots and lots of coffee pots.

I hate to get off topic, but why are your coffee pots breaking?
  • jlwjlw
    My guess is the hard water deposits in the coffee maker shorten the life not actually the glass pot breaking.
  • C_BC_B

jlw said:

Off Topic. What's the coffee pot angle?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

jlw said:

I hate to get off topic, but why are your coffee pots breaking?

yeah, the pots are actually fine, its the heating element tubes that heat the water up. they get clogged with calcium deposits and then don't its broke. running vinegar through doesn't fix it once it gets to a certain point.

most pots are machine specific anymore though, so the whole thing is broken, essentially
  • ThymThym

jlw said:

if your water was hard enough to effect a beer ... and you would break lots of coffee pots. lots and lots of coffee pots.

hmm.... i didn't realize my wife's clumsiness was a sign of hard water. I should have that checked out.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny