JLWs Wee Heavy tasting.
  • scoobscoob
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Santa arrived early!!.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Ok, first thoughts on the wee heavy, need to revisit in a week or so of settling:

JLW's wee heavy.

Aroma:
    heavy malty nose, with hints of raisin and marmalade, some alcohol noted in aroma as it warms
    No hint of hops

Appearance.:
    Inviting leather brown in appearance, head quickly subsided and when swirled in a snifter there was some subtle legs to the beer hinting at a higher alcohol level than might be expected in a typical wee heavy, small bubbles rise in the glass in streams

Flavor: the first sip is dominated by caramel and malt flavors, followed quickly by dried fruit notably raisin and prune. The finish is a lingering sweetness along with a nice alcohol warmth that reminds me of a nice port wine.

Mouthfeel:
    Full bodied and chewy, no hot alcohol burn noted at serving temp of 58 degrees.
    Lingering sweetness with a dryness that almost verges on tartness. This I attribute to hops bittering, and dark roasted malts. Nice moderate carbonation that is between an English ale and an American amber.

Overall impression:
    Dessert like in its mouthfeel and sweetness, a big chewy malt bomb that is quite pleasing to just sip..... something I would enjoy with a bold cigar after a hard day,
    Jesus didn't wear pants