bourbon suggestions
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I'm not a booze drinker, so my experience is limited, but I need to grab a bottle of bourbon to chill on toasted oak for a porter keg addition.

Price range of $20-$40 for a bottle.

I don't want anything super 'spicy' or otherwise herbal/harsh/sharp.

Any suggestions?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I like bullet rye, splash of water or one ice cube. Smooth, not bourbon, but whiskey.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Woodford reserve double oaked. That is a bourbon and incredibly smooth.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

$60 bones at the store. I'll keep it in mind, but i want to try a sip before i invest a whole batch of beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

I like bullet rye, splash of water or one ice cube. Smooth, not bourbon, but whiskey.

I'm not confident that i know the difference. I likr rye beers, but never had that edge in a porter/stout before.
  • C_BC_B
    Fuzzy said:

C_B said:

$60 bones at the store. I'll keep it in mind, but i want to try a sip before i invest a whole batch of beer.

Yeah I thought it was cheaper than that.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Fuzzy said:

C_B said:

Yeah I thought it was cheaper than that.

there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the booze prices from store to store here.

I've seen makers mark (what i used for my last two bourbon porters) range from $24-$38 for the regular 'normal' sized bottle.
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

Got another bottle of this.

It's really good.
  • jlwjlw
    Bourbon is really subjective to personal preferences. Ryes will have a little more bite or spice. Wheated bourbons will typically be smoother and a little sweeter. I generally like the smoother bourbons so lean toward the wheated varieties. Cost is going to be driven by region and what's available to you. Weller as example I can;t find here locally and if I did it would be $100 for bottle. But TX, you might be able to find it for cheap. Jefferson makes really good entry level bourbons, I like Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace for a good starting point. To get started, I'd pick an inexpensive rye and an inexpensive wheated and figure out which family you like best and then start trying a few different things. I'm lucky, my BIL is obsessed with bourbon right now so he brings stuff to try all the time.

C_BThym
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Old crow
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    J_Ree said:

Old crow

Done and done.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

. To get started, I'd pick an inexpensive rye and an inexpensive wheated and figure out which family you like best and then start trying a few different things. I'm lucky, my BIL is obsessed with bourbon right now so he brings stuff to try all the time.

I'm not trying to start a new hobby, especially a $100 a bottle hobby.

I rapid aged some gentleman jack on some home toasted oak chunks. It no longer tastes like butt, so that's nice.

Thym
  • ceanntceannt
    J_Ree said:

Old crow

Better known as old stump blower
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    One of my uncles taught me an easy way to transform shit Bourbon into something drinkable.
  • ceanntceannt
    Open up the bottle, and pour in about a teaspoon of dry sherry. Give it a good shake, and let it sit for a couple of weeks. He said a chemical reaction really smooths it out, so it isn't like drinking 5 yards of barbed wire any more. Hard to tell from high-end Bourbon.
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Open up the bottle, and pour in about a teaspoon of dry sherry. Give it a good shake, and let it sit for a couple of weeks. He said a chemical reaction really smooths it out, so it isn't like drinking 5 yards of barbed wire any more. Hard to tell from high-end Bourbon.

I’d be willing to try it with someone else’s booze.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Thym said:

ceannt said:

i think sherry stopped existing some time in the late 80s.

C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Fuzzy said:

Thym said:

ceannt said:

i think sherry stopped existing some time in the late 80s.

Probably why it's only available dried.

CurlyFat