Wicked Angel brew and swap.
  • C_BC_B
    This idea was split from TKT. Props should be given to Frydogbrews for coming up with the idea. I think.

Here's the deal. Pile in here if you want to brew Lakewood's Wicked Angel kit. Then we'll play pass the bottle so we can see how the variance in each other's brewing system and techniques affect the same kit. Since I haven't run this by Lakewood yet this is more of an engagement to an engagement. If the price Lakewood sets is okay with everyone we can solidify the variables later.

Please also indicate weather you prefer extract or AG or if you cannot do one or the other. Extract would cost more, but it may yield more consistent results. AG would give a more interesting profile of each individual brewer.

I'm in and I have the capability to do either AG or extract. I would prefer AG.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i'm in and would prefer DME, but truly don't care that much
  • C_BC_B
    DME would be easier to control as a group for sure. Everyone's system has different nuances that we've adjusted our recipes to. Can I change my vote?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    of course.
  • ThymThym
    here is a link to order the extract 5 gallon kit:
    http://homebrewforums.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_10&products_id=2

if i can figure a way to bring the price of DME down, i'll reflect that in the price, but this is the best I can do right now.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Ordered.
  • jlwjlw
    I'm in depending on when everyone wants to do this. Also, are following the recipe to exact? Or will be allowed to dry hop?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i will be dry hopping mine for sure. i'm not some heathen that doesn't dry hop a IIPA, i have standards!
  • ThymThym
    I figure it a - here's the starting point - make it as is or tell us what you did to it, type deal.

I'm interested in learning what the dry hopped version will taste like. Also intrgiued by any other tweaks you may do.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hey @lakewood, i can't seem to login to the marketplace. i tried using my normal acct. but that didn't work. so i thought maybe i needed to make a new one for the marketplace (because its a separate deal) and it tells me my email is not real. my email is real though.
  • ThymThym
    I'm hoping to integrate the authentication between the two apps soon, but for now you do have to setup a separate account. I'm not sure why its not accepting the email addy. I assume its the same one you used to setup your account here, right. I'll check it out as soon as I can and post a response.
  • ThymThym
    FYI the ordering system has been fixed.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ok fellers, i realize this isn't exactly how we planned this.....but here is my version of the wicked angel
    http://hopville.com/recipe/1121530/imperial-ipa-recipes/missouri-wicked-angel
    brewing it today and will be happy to send some bottles around to swap for your versions. the biggest weirdness here is that i used no water in this recipe, just sugar maple sap. also, i had to bump up flavor hops, i yam who i yam!
  • ThymThym
    Ended up buying hops at LHBS for the kits today. Bought the malt in a 50lb bag, split it up ready to send out.

Lots of fun cleaning up after splitting 50lbs of DME into 3lb bags and vacuum sealing them.
  • C_BC_B
    Fry, I look forward to the twist.
    Lake, I think you are sarcastic?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ok folks, come one, people need to join us with this endeavor!
    for reasons beyond anybody's control, one person dropped out of this swap, so lake has a kit all made up, if you order it by sunday night, he will personally sign his name in rhinestones under the inside flap! that's a collectors item right there.
    people that like brewing and hoppy beers, brew it and join the swap, big fun and costs the same as ordering a kit from austin or midwest or something.
    @benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos
  • LothosLothos

for reasons beyond anybody's control, one person dropped out of this swap, so lake has a kit all made up, if you order it by sunday night, he will personally sign his name in rhinestones under the inside flap! that's a collectors item right there.
    people that like brewing and hoppy beers, brew it and join the swap, big fun and costs the same as ordering a kit from austin or midwest or something.
    @benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

I dont care for IPA's sorry
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

no worries. i'm thinking the next swap could be something dark.. Chocolate Raspberry Stout maybe?
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

no worries. i'm thinking the next swap could be something dark.. Chocolate Raspberry Stout maybe?

now that sounds better just get me the reciepy and ill get the ingreadiants here at my local HBS

I might even send you some home grown hops along with the package
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

now that sounds better just get me the reciepy and ill get the ingreadiants here at my local HBS

I'll post the all-grain version soon.
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

You're my new friend.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Lothos said:

You're my new friend.

white devils
  • BenvarineBenvarine

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

I hate to miss out on the rhinestone signature, but I bought the Mo Wicked Angel receipe today, minus the maple sap. I have Monday off work to brew so couldn't wait, sorry Lake, next time I'll order from you. That receipe was f-in expensive. This stuff better turn out great. I'll bottle in 22's to send one, does that work?

• ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

I hate to miss out on the rhinestone signature, but I bought the Mo Wicked Angel receipe today, minus the maple sap. I have Monday off work to brew so couldn't wait, sorry Lake, next time I'll order from you. That receipe was f-in expensive. This stuff better turn out great. I'll bottle in 22's to send one, does that work?

It's my house favorite. I've brewed it a solid 5 or 6 times. keep the fermentation cool and let it finish out clean. If it's done right, it should finish crystal clear (you should be able to use a filled glass like a convex lens.

That said i have a batch im drinking now that is not crystal clear. it's good. but not as good as some of the bottles i still have from two batches ago -- that batch turned out perfect. the taste is super crisp.

22oz is great, even a 12 would work.
  • ThymThym
    BTW - how much did the kit cost you? just curious to see where my prices line up.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

BTW - how much did the kit cost you? just curious to see where my prices line up.

I bought the dry hops in Fry's receipe. It was around $80, a little over. He gave me 10% off and I had a $15 sort of frequent buyer card, so my total was $65. Not including yeast which I forgot to buy or whirfloc, which I need to restock. On that, how much yeast do you use? Fry listed two types, one pack of each or both? Both are pitched after cooling right?

All in all, it seems your pricing is spot on, but I have tomorrow to brew and didn't have a choice, some full weekends coming up.
  • ThymThym
    Glad to see my pricing is in line. Thanks for sharing that.

I pitch two full packets into a 10gal batch (which may be a bit of an underpitch) I would pitch both full packets in to the 5, it should get you a cleaner flavor.

Pitch them at the same time, the blend is relieant on the prop and floc rates being what they are with equal volumes of yeast at T=0
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Recommendation for ferm temp?
  • ThymThym
    I usually shoot for 66-68.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    mine's at 60, hence the really sloooooooow ferment
  • FerminatorFerminator

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

Sorry guys I'm out of this one I wish I could though.
    Right now I'm pinching pennies due to buying a house. The bank tells me my closing cost are around 10 to fifthteen K and then theirs the down payment. So realistically I'm looking at droping 30k.
    Once the house has been purchased I'll be back to spending and burning all my loot.
    In till then a budget is In order.
    Sorry guys.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

Between your recommendation and Fry's I should be good, my room normally cruises between 64-68, rarely over 68.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Between your recommendation and Fry's I should be good, my room normally cruises between 64-68, rarely over 68.

i don't recommend my winter ferm temps. that's just what we set the heat at. i should get a brew belt heater to bring it up to 65, but this works fine.

• BenvarineBenvarine
    On this receipe. How long to steep grains? How do you weigh your hops. Fancy digital? I have nothing and I bought a lb of cascade because it was the same price. I have to go to Wormsway tomorrow for yeast and whirfloc, I will see what scales they have. Also, I asked on another thread, but do you put all hops in bags?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Also, you added honey, not honey malt right? Lake's receipe states some sugar at the end of the boil or something. You are adding honey instead. I don't have that step worked out, I need to address honey or sugar addition at some time.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    if you choose to go the corn sugar route, i usually add in the last ten minutes or so. honey (when dealing with a IIPA) i go the hopslam route, which is:
    on day 3 of active ferment, mix the honey with some hot water (not boiling***) so as to make it all a pourable liquid. stir the heck out of the honey to oxygenate it, then dump it (once cooled below 100) from on high to help oxygenate your fermenting beer even more. when you begin to approach 10% abv, things can get tricky for the yeasties. air helps a lot. by delaying the final addition of fermentable sugar (honey) you are giving the yeast a less toxic environment for the beginning phases of fermentation.
    although, if you are going to be pitching 20 grams of yeast into 5 gallons, it might not be as much of an issue.
    for me, if that is how hopslam does it, that is how i will do it, period.

***honey, by its nature, it sterile in this application, or involving mead, and unless making a mead that involves burnt honey, it should never be allowed to boil.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

On this receipe. How long to steep grains? How do you weigh your hops. Fancy digital? I have nothing and I bought a lb of cascade because it was the same price. I have to go to Wormsway tomorrow for yeast and whirfloc, I will see what scales they have. Also, I asked on another thread, but do you put all hops in bags?

i use digital scales for all measurements. You can get a good one from harborfreight for next to nothing.

I have not been bagging hops, but i may start. This recipe is a ton of hops, so putting it in small bags will NOT work. You would need big bags, or you wont get enough contact time to get extraction.

As to honey vs corn sugar : Honey will boost the ABV just the same, but will impart a flavor as well. The corn sugar is just clean.

In my kit instructions, i recommend adding the sugar in the last ten minutes of boil, however I usually wait a couple days and add during the ferment as fry mentioned. Doing this helps ensure a dry finish. This is s'posed to be a fairly dry ale.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't suggest buying a scale from worms way as they will be really pricey. i have two of the standard digital scales from bed bath and beyond and they work great.

also, i never bag my hops because i am lazy and most of my beers have a bunch of hop additions (5-30). when i am transferring chilled wort to ferm bucket or carboy, i just stop dumping before all the sludge from the bottom goes in or i siphon it off from up above all that stuff.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    cancel that, my Missouri wicked angel isn't stalled, refractometer was telling me 1.045 but hydrometer is at 1.025 and should drop down to 1.020 at least by the end of this week. the DIPA i did a week before this one stopped at 1.015.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I brewed my version today. A little modification.
    9 lb briefs DME golden light
    12 oz crystal 20L
    8 oz cara-pils
    60m 1 oz galena
    60m .5 oz cluster
    30m 1 oz cascade
    30m .5 oz cluster
    15m 2oz cascade
    5m 2 oz cascade
    5m 2 oz. Czech saaz
    1m 2 oz Czech saaz
    Planning on 4oz cascade at day 7.
    Irish moss toward end of boil
    Will add corn sugar at day 3
    Used safale 04&05

This was my first batch without a kit and explicit instructions so I am hoping for the best. I had to crush my own grains with a rolling pin and I am hoping they were crushed appropriately. Steeped at 155 for 30 min.

OG was 1.084, does that sound about right? Any other comments or suggestions at this time?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    looks like a delicious beer to me.
    might wanna hold off on dry hopping until two weeks in, then hit it for 7 days or so. i don't know, might be personal preference, i just try to avoid doing much to the beer while the yeasties are cleaning up with these bigger beers.

i see a drunken weekend afternoon in our future!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    took a reading on mine today, its at 1.012, which is a little more dry then i thought it would go.
    so, that means its 11.5% abv! this tends to happen when your brewing "water" is actually 4% sugar solution that you pull out of a tree.

tastes a little hot right now, but very clean and smooth. the heat is coming off the honey, happens everytime, it'll be gone in two weeks or so.
    probably going to dry hop now with 3 or 4 ounces of citra and cascade and then keg it this weekend to let er age just a little more.

yeah......11.5% IIPA on tap.......what could go wrong???
  • C_BC_B
    Yikes. That could be lethal.
  • ThymThym

Yikes. That could be lethal.

it sounds pretty wicked to me ;)
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I racked mine tonight. SG 1.014, so that makes it 11.27. So I guess I am a little behind Fry. I haven't dry hopped it, not sure if I will. It can only help right?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    dry hopping is always a wonderful thing, especially up around those abv's. we all know it is for aroma, but it can give the false sense of adding flavor, and that helps with high abv beers that don't have the caramel/dark flavors to cover it.
  • ThymThym
    Yeah, I usually don't go anywhere near that abv without a healthy dose of c-60 and usually some molasses.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    What is c-60?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    c-60 L, caramel malt, speciality grain
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    60 refers to the lovibond (darkness) rating. it's a grain that has been mashed and dried in the husk, giving the final beer some color and sweetness/toffee like flavors.

more info here:
    http://wiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Malts_/_Grains
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I was not planning to dry hop this, but I may change my mind. I've never dry hoped anything so i don't want to screw it up. For the five gallon extract version of this recipe what would be a safe amount and hop to use?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i usually tell people that you can't go wrong with 2 ounces of cascade for 5 days (as a general rule). for a beer this big, i would say go 3 ounces whole leaf cascade.
    just remember to squeeze the beer out of the hops or you won't get as much aroma as you should
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Dry hopped today, 4oz Cascade pellets. Not done with a bag before, but wanted to try. Boiled bag for 5 min, added hops, tied with fishing line and fed into carboy. Hoping for the best.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    dry hopped mine sunday also. did 2 oz cascade, and 1 oz citra, but going to leave it for probably 10 days or so.
  • LothosLothos
    Benvarine said:

Dry hopped today, 4oz Cascade pellets. Not done with a bag before, but wanted to try. Boiled bag for 5 min, added hops, tied with fishing line and fed into carboy. Hoping for the best.

oh its going to be a gouie mess trying to get them pellets out the neck of that carboy.
    rack it first than pull the bag out
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lothos said:

Benvarine said:

oh its going to be a gouie mess trying to get them pellets out the neck of that carboy.
    rack it first than pull the bag out

yeah, and if you can get the bag all the way out without either ripping the bag or breaking the entire neck off the carboy, i'll give you 2 dollars.
    (psst.....just rip the bag......the neck will break off if you pull hard enough vertically on a nylon bag. )

i never dry hop in carboys anymore because of this very issue.
    kegs work great though. or rack it off gross lees into a second bucket for a week doesn't hurt anything and dru hop in that.
  • LothosLothos
    i found out the hard way when i made a batch of blackberry wine in the carboy with a hop bag (misteak) 96 ounces of blackberry puree trying to get it out of a 2" carboy neck didnt work too well. Next time its in a bucket or a keg Much easier
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yea, I figured rack first and deal with the issues after. Bags are cheap, carboys are not.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

Yea, I figured rack first and deal with the issues after. Bags are cheap, carboys are not.

yeah, for awhile there i just ruined a bag everytime i dry hopped. not a big deal. but that was long ago, when i put almost everything into a secondary. yeah, i was that guy.....but not for long
  • C_BC_B
    Brewed it finally. I didn't add the corn sugar. Partly because I told myself I was going to do it a couple days into ferment and party because I forgot. Soooooo, what's the process for adding it to the primary in a couple days? Mix it with enough water to get it to dissolve, boil and add it when fermentation slows down?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Brewed it finally. I didn't add the corn sugar. Partly because I told myself I was going to do it a couple days into ferment and party because I forgot. Soooooo, what's the process for adding it to the primary in a couple days? Mix it with enough water to get it to dissolve, boil and add it when fermentation slows down?

yep.
  • ThymThym

yep.

Yep... but not super slow. Usually day 2 or 3 for me.
  • C_BC_B
    Well I pitched 2 vials into 5 gallons of 1.080 wort. It won't take long to ferment.... Temp sitting at 64 right now so that should help slow it down a bit. I'll plan on 2 days.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I am two days away from first tasting, hopefully carbonation is good, then who do I send this to?
  • LothosLothos
    ME ME ME (WAVING OVER HERE)
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

I am two days away from first tasting, hopefully carbonation is good, then who do I send this to?

i figured we would wait until everybody was done and then send around. since nipplehead just brewed his two days ago, it might be awhile.

i think the only people in are me, you, lake, and cb
    i feel like i am leaving someone out though
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw expressed interest, but i don't think he brewed it.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    If ready, the longer we wait, the lower the inventory.
  • C_BC_B
    Yeah yeah, late to start late to finish. Story of my life.
  • ThymThym
    I think dj did his own spin on the recipe. I think Lothos was doing one as well.

Turns out i drank my first keg and now the second one has some residual funkiness from a prior infection. Unless someone really knows infections and off flavors and can help me pinpoint what the hell is going on, I'm keeping my failure to myself.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I'm keeping my failure to myself.

Words to live by.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

I'm keeping my failure to myself.

Words to live by.

Shhhhhh dont tell anybody.
  • C_BC_B
    I hope this turns out ok for me (I'm sure it will), but mine sure took it's good ole fashioned time getting going. I thought with a yeast pitch like that it would have taken off like a rocket. It got down to 61* so I brought it upstairs, then it came up to 71* and started fermenting so I took it back down to the basement where it is sitting at 68* and chugging along. Tomorrow I'm going to dump in the corn sugar and we'll be off.
  • ThymThym
    It should be fine.. 61 is cold for those yeasties.
  • C_BC_B
    I figure after it slows down after I put the corn sugar in I'll bring it back upstairs where the room is constantly 68*. That should let the yeast finish up without dropping out early. I need a ferm chamber....
  • ThymThym
    Sounds like a good plan.
  • LothosLothos

I figure after it slows down after I put the corn sugar in I'll bring it back upstairs where the room is constantly 68*. That should let the yeast finish up without dropping out early. I need a ferm chamber....

heh i have one its the bathroom no one uses i set the fermenter in the tub and turn on the room heat to 70 and close the door
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

heh i have one its the bathroom no one uses i set the fermenter in the tub and turn on the room heat to 70 and close the door

That's awesome.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    cracked into wicked angel tonight, not quite ready, still a little flat, has some head, but it could use a few more days at least. The aroma is good and it is very hoppy. A bit cloudy too, that was the case with my last ipa. I used irish moss, but still seem to be getting some cloudy product. Regardless, it tastes good.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    whirlfloc and a long ass primary for clear beer. whole leaf hops help a ton too, but then again, a super hoppy beer shouldn't ever clear because that level of hops creates its own special and unbreakable haze.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yea, I'm going with unbreakable haze. That might be a new name. That isn't trademarked is it?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Yea, I'm going with unbreakable haze. That might be a new name. That isn't trademarked is it?

no such thing. time will fix the haze. it might be past where the beer is at it's best, but it will settle out.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Benvarine said:

no such thing. time will fix the haze. it might be past where the beer is at it's best, but it will settle out.

That's good to know, but it does not help with the name. I always reserve a few bottles for later tasting, so I will test that out on this beer and see how how it looks in a few months.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

That's good to know, but it does not help with the name. I always reserve a few bottles for later tasting, so I will test that out on this beer and see how how it looks in a few months.

foggy angel?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yes, that works. Somewhere along the way I named it Angel Fire, that is what I wrote on the caps, AF IPA. I guess it was a long night, too many beers, .... Angel Fog IPA sounds like a good name. I am going with that. Nice one FZ.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Ive got a couple botles left from a batch a brewed probably a year ago at least now. I drank one last month and it was still awesome. This beer can handle some age without losing the crispness.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Yes, that works. Somewhere along the way I named it Angel Fire, that is what I wrote on the caps, AF IPA. I guess it was a long night, too many beers, .... Angel Fog IPA sounds like a good name. I am going with that. Nice one FZ.

I like that name... i may have to steal that ;)
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    big hoppy beers should not be aged!
    drink it cloudy and hoppy as hell. hooray.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

big hoppy beers should not be aged!
    drink it cloudy and hoppy as hell. hooray.

you'll lose the hops, but gain some malty goodness. mmmmm, malty.
  • C_BC_B
    This is chugging along nicely now. I added the corn sugar last night. Then this afternoon brought it back upstairs where is is sitting on 68* and bubbling away. I suppose everyone else's is bottled and kegged...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    drank some of mine today, it has rounded the corner and is now better than a bag of black jellybeans.
    it is dangerously good, at 11.5% abv.
    i came a little as i drank my first pint.
    the honey, maple sap, hops.............prepare yourselves for the swap bitches
  • C_BC_B
    Which one of you Missouri folks sent me the Stone bomber? I assume it is Wicked Angel?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Me. Did the package look suspicious? Arrive intact?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The cap is labeled AF IIPA, I meant to put WA IIPA. Close enough.
  • LothosLothos
    now thats damn funny right there
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    It is now Angel Fog.
  • C_BC_B
    Bahahaha, that's why I wasn't sure if it was Wicked Angel... It was intact. And sufficiently suspicious.
  • ThymThym

Bahahaha, that's why I wasn't sure if it was Wicked Angel... It was intact. And sufficiently suspicious.

I got mine today too! Yay!!

I put it in the fridge to chill. I'll probably crack it open this weekend.
  • ThymThym
    @benvarine

Oh, and as far as it being intact.... it was packed so well im pretty sure you could have shot it on a ballistic trajectory from MO and landed in my yard without any damage!
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Sweet. Glad it made it, next time I'll try the cannon route.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Sweet. Glad it made it, next time I'll try the cannon route.

I look forward to that