Scotch Collops
  • ceanntceannt
    This is an eighteenth century recipe adapted from a 1788 cookbook.

6 veal loin chops.
    8 egg yolks
    6 tbs butter
    16 oz chicken stock
    6 oz white wine
    1-cup sliced mushrooms
    4 tbs flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg

Cut the bones and fat from the veal chops (veal cutlets work well too.) Pound them flat with a rolling pin or skillet. Lightly beat the egg yolks in a large bowl. Season the veal generously on both sides with equal parts of salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip the collops (the veal) in the egg yolks. Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet, and fry the veal up nice and brown. Remove the veal, and set aside. To the skillet add a couple tablespoons of flour, and make a roux. Add the chicken stock, and white wine, and whisk it until it comes to a boil. In a small bowl, mix the remaining flour with a bit of cold water, and whisk until smooth. Slowly add this to the skillet, whisking until it is incorporated. Allow to continue cooking until it starts to thicken. Add the sliced mushrooms, and let cook for a few minutes. Place the veal in the skillet and allow to warm up for about 5 minutes on a side. Serve with lots of the gravy over it. The gravy is also really good over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and this is why you fit so well in that santa costume

ceannt
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Fuzzy said:

Ironic considering that back in the day... this was just a side dish....
    Bill of fare December.jpg
    2200 x 1700 - 600K
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Fuzzy said:

Everyone who was eating like that when that book was written is dead now. Coincidence? I think not.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Thym said:

ceannt said:

Fuzzy said:

Everyone who was eating like that when that book was written is dead now. Coincidence? I think not.

yeah, I'm sure the 228 years that has gone by has nothing to do with it.....