• FuzzyFuzzy
    anyone ever brew with citrus?

i'd like to split a batch and make a citrus bomb ipa sorta like grapefruit sculpin, etc. anyone have any experience with that?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    My experience with citrus has been in lighter beers using the peel. I'd like to know what the grapefruit sculpin process is.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Same here. I've only used peel.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• FuzzyFuzzy
    Thym said:

My experience with citrus has been in lighter beers using the peel. I'd like to know what the grapefruit sculpin process is.

i'd really like to know what the pineapple sculpin process is. that seems way easier to make disgusting.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i think i'm just going to do a 10 gallon batch of ipa, then add peel and juice in the kegs. split it up between a grapefruit ipa and a pineapple/mango/whatever ipa.
  • ThymThym

i think i'm just going to do a 10 gallon batch of ipa, then add peel and juice in the kegs. split it up between a grapefruit ipa and a pineapple/mango/whatever ipa.

I'm pretty sure there is no juice used in the commercial processes. My guess, based on experience and some recent reading is that they probably use either use the two processes below or just brew a normal sculpin and skip directly to process two.

1) add copious amounts of fresh peel to boil
    2) add pressed oils from the peel to the fermenting beer

the oils could impact head retention, so im not sure how they get around that. Maybe i should visit the brewery.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Thym said:

I'm pretty sure there is no juice used in the commercial processes. My guess, based on experience and some recent reading is that they probably use either use the two processes below or just brew a normal sculpin and skip directly to process two.

1) add copious amounts of fresh peel to boil
    2) add pressed oils from the peel to the fermenting beer

the oils could impact head retention, so im not sure how they get around that. Maybe i should visit the brewery.

lemme clarify:

grapefruit half-rind/peel
    pineapple half-juice at kegging.

for the rind, i'll pull a couple pints and re-boil, then add to the keg.

• jlwjlw
    For a citrus forward ipa, I might suggest a combination of Citrus and Mosaic hops.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

For a citrus forward ipa, I might suggest a combination of Citrus and Mosaic hops.

i'm not a huge fan of mosaic. i was leaning towards galaxy, citra, and either ahtanum or azzaka.
  • ceanntceannt
    yeah, stick with peel... in my experience, most citrus juice ends up smelling/tasting very much like vomit after it ferments
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

i'm not a huge fan of mosaic. i was leaning towards galaxy, citra, and either ahtanum or azzaka.

I was also reading to use zest and the peel and eliminate as much pith as possible.
  • jlwjlw
    But then again, take anything I post about brewing with a grain of salt since I don't actually brew.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

yeah, stick with peel... in my experience, most citrus juice ends up smelling/tasting very much like vomit after it ferments

it'll be added after fermentation is finished. i don't think pineapple rind is the flavor i'm aiming for...
  • FuzzyFuzzy

jlw said:

But then again, take anything I post about brewing with a grain of salt since I don't actually brew.

i will, because:

jlw said:

jlw said:

I was also reading to use zest and the peel and eliminate as much pith as possible.

hops don't have peel or zest...
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

it'll be added after fermentation is finished. i don't think pineapple rind is the flavor i'm aiming for...

Better make sure ALL the yeast has been killed... or it will ferment; there be sugars in that there juice
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

jlw said:

Pith = bad
    Just zest the very outside of the peel
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

jlw said:

Pith = bad
    Just zest the very outside of the peel

generally, i agree. but i've used store bought dried citrus rind before and there is always a bunch of white on it, but it didn't give me any of the bitter gross flavor people complain about.

either way, fresh zest tastes way better.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Better make sure ALL the yeast has been killed... or it will ferment; there be sugars in that there juice

more or less. i've backsweetened many many ciders without any issues.
  • jlwjlw
    see, i know nothing about brewing.

• ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

more or less. i've backsweetened many many ciders without any issues.

two questions....

Why would you backsweeten a cider?

and... are you not the guy that says you don't like "sweet"?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

two questions....

Why would you backsweeten a cider?

and... are you not the guy that says you don't like "sweet"?

because that's how i like it, obviously.

and...i didn't say candied cider, you knob head. i just add a little juice concentrate back in to up the apple flavor and balance out the tartness. my ciders aren't nearly as sweet as say, strongbow/magners/etc.

• ceanntceannt
    Just pullin' your chain there fuzzy...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

i don't have a chain. it's a fiberoptic tether.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

i don't have a chain. it's a fiberoptic tether.

I used the euphemism, it's easier to type