Munich Dunkel
  • C_BC_B
    So I want to make a Dunkel. A clean, crisp, refreshing bit of malty goodness. Here is a recipe shamlessley ripped from BYO (article)

I'll bump the grain bill up to hit 5% abv because duh. And maybe a splash of lightish caramel malt. 2% - 3% or so.
    90 minute boil?
    Could I get away with a single infusion with decoction to mash out and not loose the flavor profile?

All-Munich Dunkel

(5 gallon, all-grain)
    OG = 1.048 FG = 1.012 IBU = 22
    ABV = 4.6%

Ingredients:
    8 lbs. Munich malt (10° L)
    1 lb. Munich malt (20° L)
    75 minute 5 AAU Hallertauer Mittelfrüh (1.25 oz. of 4% alpha acid)
    15 minute 0.5 oz. Tettnanger hops (flavor)
    Flame Out 1 oz. Tettnanger hops (aroma)
    Old Bavarian Lager (White Labs WLP920)

Step mash with 30-minute rests at 122° F, 146° F and 156° F. Alternatively, do a single-infusion mash at 154° F for an hour. Heat mash to 170° F prior to recirculation and sparging. Collect 6.5 gallons of wort. Boil for 90 minutes. Add bittering hops after first 15 minutes of boil. Add flavor hops with 15 left in boil and aroma hops at the end of the boil. Cool wort. Aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment for one week at 55° F, then rack to secondary and ferment an additional two weeks. Lager for four to six weeks at 28° F. Bottle and serve. See article for further details.

Thoughts?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Could I get away with a single infusion with decoction to mash out and not lose the flavor profile?

yes.

C_B said:

And maybe a splash of lightish caramel malt. 2% - 3% or so.

caramunich or caravienne would be nice.

C_B said:

90 minute boil?

biab? if so, then yes.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    if its a BIAB, why not do the step? it'll add a little more character to the mouthfeel and give the beer some complexity that you otherwise wont be able to achieve.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Don't use a lot of crystal... no more than a couple ounces of caramunich. If needed, use a tad of carafa III to adjust color.
    I would do a double decoction. Infuse to 149, do a decoction, with a twenty minute boil, to 154... then another decoction to mash out.
    Leave in primary for at least a month, if not 2 at between 50 and 55 degrees. Crash chill, and rack. Then lager for 3 to 6 months.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Not BIAB. Well, Probably not since I haven't made the vessel to BIAB. 5 gallon MLT. I have never done a decoction mash, so why not?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Decoction mashes aren't difficult, but they do add some time to your brewday. It's really impossible to get the malt flavor profile any other way. ..
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Not BIAB. Well, Probably not since I haven't made the vessel to BIAB. 5 gallon MLT. I have never done a decoction mash, so why not?

then you'd be fine with a 60 min boil. just boil the first runnings furiously.
  • ThymThym

C_B said:

X(
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

X(

that little guy needs some x-lax.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    8 months in? it's about time:

Dunkel Donuts

10# munich
    .6# chocolate
    7 oz caramunich II

.3 oz magnum@60
    .6 oz spalt @30

Wyeast 2124