11 lbs 2-row
    154ish for 60 minutes
    1/2 lb gambrinus
    1/2 pound caramel 40

1/2 ounce citra at 60

1/2 ounce citra at 35
    then between 30 and 5 continuous hop it with 4 ounces
    at flameout add two more ounces citra, then dry hop with another 3 ounces
    i use s-05 or wlp001 if i have extra cash around and i toss in some whirfloc, then primary it for 3 weeks, then keg it and get drunk
  • C_BC_B
    I'm really new to big hop beers. And by that I mean I do stouts mostly with one 60 minute addition. What do you mean "continuous hop"
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    some people (Sam Calagione) set up a little hopper that vibrates the hops into the kettle so a few pellets fall in every 20 seconds or so.
    i don't have a hopper like that, so i just sit by the kettle with my bowl of hops and plink some in every minute or so.

some will disagree about this, but i have made the same recipes and with additions at 30, 20, 10, 5 and also continually hopped. the continually hopped ones are routinely more complex in the hop department. i have done these tests blind and administered to others, and every time people pick the continually hopped ones. essentially, almost every little pellet is boiled for a different amount of time, giving it a slightly different flavor. sure, the difference is tiny, but add it up over 4 ounces and it makes a difference.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    this is the definition of a big hop beer though, if you are just getting into them, it might be a little over the top for you. to quote my favorite brewery in the world......"you're not worthy!"

to make it a little more user friendly for non-extreme hop heads (i don't trust those people), keep the 60 minute hop addition at half ounce and the dry hopping at 3 ounces, then cut all other hop additions in half.
  • C_BC_B
    Great info. I have never heard of this. thanks!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants