RIS - Coffee/Espresso Stout
  • jlwjlw
    You guys ever make a coffee stout before? If so what's the best way to infuse the beer with coffee or espresso?
  • ThymThym
    add some fresh ground coffee beans to the mash. I would replace any amount of of black patent at a 2:1 ratio coffee to black patent or 1:1 for chocolate roast if starting from a stout recipe you like.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I've always heard to cold steep and add after vigorous fermentation subsides and then add more to taste when bottling.
    Sign here______________________________
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    I've read that instant coffee added to primary is quite good, and adds the desired flavors. Seriously.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• ThymThym
    The concern with adding during the mash is the oils. But this isnt a real problem if you are doing a full all grain brew.

But there are plenty of other cheater methods too.
  • ceanntceannt
    Cold brewed works really well, add after the first 3 days or so of fermentation, when it starts to slow down
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Use a french press. Coarsely grind 3 times more beans than you would use to drink. Pour cold water over it, don't push down the doo-hickey.. leave in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Then push the screen down, and let settle for an hour before pouring.
  • jlwjlw
    This beer has been bulk aging for months now.Anything I can do now just before kegging/bottling?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

This beer has been bulk aging for months now.Anything I can do now just before kegging/bottling?

Yep. Add cold brewed coffee.
  • ThymThym
    Yeah, i think kenneth is right.

Cold brew a bunch, let it settle for a few minutes and use a paper towel to absorb any oily sheen from the top. The oils will kill head retention, but there shouldn't be much extracted by cold brewing.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Use a french press. Coarsely grind 3 times more beans than you would use to drink. Pour cold water over it, don't push down the doo-hickey.. leave in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Then push the screen down, and let settle for an hour before pouring.

When you say 3 times more than you would use to drink...is that one cup of coffee? I'm thinking one cup being a standard coffee mug which equates to like two measured cups on the coffee maker. If all that is true then I would add six scoops of beans and rough grind.
  • ceanntceannt
    3 times the beans, for an equal volume of water... if that's what you mean... yes. Basically, just make it strong. Don't heat the water at all.
  • ceanntceannt
    If you don't have a french press, you can make it in a pitcher or something, and strain it through a coffee filter.