Smoked brisket
  • C_BC_B
    I have crappy little smoker that I can do a decent job of maintaining temps.
    I have a brisket.

Someone tell me the steps between what I have and delicious smoked brisket. Go.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Rub it with your favorite rub(chili powder and paprika), wrap it up overnight, cook it low and slow.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    If you want something different, and very yummy... search for my Montreal rub I posted in here a while back. I'm pretty sure I gave the marinade to soak it in before the rub too.
    Magic on beef.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Other than that. .. I would go for 3 parts Hungarian paprika. 2 parts each of black pepper, salt garlic powder, turbinado sugar, and onion powder. 1 part each of cayenne, and dried mustard. Rub it generously, and refrigerate overnight. Smoke over hickory.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    if your smoker is cheap like mine dont do it overnight.....unless you want to stay awake all night.
  • ceanntceannt
    What fry said. Set the alarm, and start early...
  • ThymThym

if your smoker is cheap like mine dont do it overnight.....unless you want to stay awake all night.

yeah, having to get up every 2 1/2 to 3 hours blows.

also, do some meat prep, dont just take the thing out of the bag and throw a rub on it.

remove silver skin, and trim back the heavy fat.

is it a whole brisket (flat and point) or just a flat? If whole remove most of the fat between the point and flat and make sure you get rub inside the fold. Don't totally separate it though. I like to smoke for several hours attached then separate it toward the end.

i even like to thin out the fat cap, it cooks faster. dont thin too much or you lose the benefit of having it in the first place.

cook slow and low up to the stall, then raise the temp to around 300 to push through. once you are through the stall, choke the fire (without getting sooty) and let it drop to below 200
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

yeah, having to get up every 2 1/2 to 3 hours blows.

With my cheap smoker you would need to feed the fire every 30 minutes or so. 45 minutes at the most this time of year.
    But i really love playing with the fire and i don't smoke with charcoal, just wood.
  • C_BC_B
    It'll be an early morning all day deal. I assume it's a whole brisket, we had a calf butchered. I'll have to check.
    Kenny, your rub sounds amazing.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

I have a brisket.

1: dig a hole 2' cube
    2) cut a 3" 45°air shoot
    3) place 6 fire bricks on end in the bottom of the hole
    4) take your smoker to the scrap yard
    6) mix straw into a dry clay mud
    7) build a dome above the hole you have built
    8) add a second slightly taller dome next to the first. Connect the two with a 4" diameter hole and put a 4" exhaust hole in the opposite sides top.
    9) make an opening to access food and a snug fitting door.
    10) start a very small fire
    11) very slowly bring it up to 250f and hold it there for 24 hours
    12) bring it up to 500 f and hold it there for 24 hours
    13) start a big fire
    14) pull out your meat
    15) toss some cut up chunks of tire in the fire
    16) stuff your meat in the cooker part and close the door
    17) cut off almost all air going to the fire by covering the air inlet. Adjust to keep fire going.
    18)get temp down to under 180f but above 140 for within 30 min and maintain until internal temp is appropriate for human consumption.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

I have a brisket.

2) cut a 3" 45°air shoot
    8) add a second slightly taller dome next to the first. Connect the two with a 4" diameter hole and put a 4" exhaust hole in the opposite sides top.
    13) start a big fire
    14) pull out your meat
    17) cut off almost all air going to the fire by covering the air inlet. Adjust to keep fire going.
    18)get temp down to under 180f but above 140 for within 30 min and maintain until internal temp is appropriate for human consumption.

That's more effort than you normally put into a troll.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

C_B said:

I have a brisket.

2) cut a 3" 45°air shoot
    13) start a big fire
    14) pull out your meat

It was only 30% troll
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

C_B said:

C_B said:

I have a brisket.

2) cut a 3" 45°air shoot
    13) start a big fire
    14) pull out your meat

It was only 30% troll

You can typing!
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

C_B said:

I have a brisket.

2) cut a 3" 45°air shoot
    13) start a big fire
    14) pull out your meat

Well, this is if you want to take the easy way out.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B