Homebrew Forums Christmas 2015 Beer (and beer swap)
  • jlwjlw
    Every year I try to brew something the week after Christmas intended for consumption the following winter or as gifts. These beers have typically been big beers tat take awhile to make. Examples: 12% Wee Heavy, Oaked Russian Imperial Stout or a Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter. I think with all of three of these beers I've bulk aged in secondary for 6 months or longer.

For those that want to participate, I had a couple of ideas that we need to align to.

1. Do you want to pick one style and all brew within that style? If you wanted to we could even get down to dictating ingredients. I'm not a huge fan of this but if it's what the groups wants then I'm in.
    2. Do you want to also do a beer swap with the finished product?

If you want to participate let's get agreement on the two questions above and then we can figure out style and recipes.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    1. definitely pick a style, because of #2.

2. of course, otherwise why bother with #1.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Or ..... we could all do something different ... and still do a swap
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    So we are not trading beer for more of the same style .... variety is cool
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

But then we arent all brewing the same thing and critiquing each others failures from a common starting point.

Im with fuzzy.

And yeah, this will be my "one"
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

But then we arent all brewing the same thing and critiquing each others failures from a common starting point.

Im with fuzzy.

And yeah, this will be my "one"

still rather we were creative about it.... instead of a competition. I would much rather try out several different beers , than have a boatload of something that I just brewed myself....
  • jlwjlw
    I think we can all do the same style but tweak the recipes. Like a stout for example, some might chose to oak or bourbon or both. Maybe do a raspberry chocolate stout or a sweet stout. I think there are ways to do the same style but add a lot of variety.

Thym
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I think we can all do the same style but tweak the recipes. Like a stout for example, some might chose to oak or bourbon or both. Maybe do a raspberry chocolate stout or a sweet stout. I think there are ways to do the same style but add a lot of variety.

this. which is why i said style, not recipe.
  • BenSBenS
    I'm in. I choose doppelbock
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i can't say no to that.
  • BenSBenS
    I have 55 lb of Vienna and 25 lb of Munich itching to be in a mash tun.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    Oh good one of the few styles for which I have neither the grains nor the hops to make it.
  • jlwjlw
    I could do a dopplebock.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

Oh good one of the few styles for which I have neither the grains nor the hops to make it.

We didn't expect you to have the ingredients for beer.
  • jlwjlw
    I think some other options could be stouts, quad, wee heavy, what else to beat around?
  • jlwjlw
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Ha ha ha
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

I have probably 60 lbs of of grain and 2 lb of hops all sealed up.
  • ThymThym
    But yeah. Ha ha. Real funny.
  • BenSBenS
    jlw said:

I think some other options could be stouts, quad, wee heavy, what else to beat around?

I'm up for anything. Let's brew bud light bro!
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Sounds like an ipa.
  • jlwjlw
    I would like to do a dopplebock but my ferm
    Chamber is broken right now. Not sure I could do a proper one.
  • BenSBenS
    jlw said:

I would like to do a dopplebock but my ferm
    Chamber is broken right now. Not sure I could do a proper one.

Did you have something else in mind?
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Sounds like an ipa.

I like ipas... but probably not for this year long aging.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Sounds like an ipa.

Might turn into a barleywine....
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Sounds like an ipa.

Might turn into a barleywine....

now that is something i could get into. just wish i had oak to age it in.
  • ceanntceannt
    oak chips.... ?
  • ceanntceannt
    barleywines are cool, in that there is a pretty wide range.... could end up with some radically different interpretations.... I like this idea
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

barleywines are cool, in that there is a pretty wide range.... could end up with some radically different interpretations.... I like this idea

if that's the case.. veto
  • BenSBenS
    As long as we limit the BU:GU ratio to 1:2, I'm down for barleywine.
  • ThymThym
    You mean minimum, right?
  • jlwjlw
    There are currently five willing to participate. Maybe we will get a few more if we keep bumping. Here are the ideas I've heard so far: Stout, Dopplebock, Barleywine. I think we could also add: Porter, Strong Ale, Belgian Strong Ale (triple or quad).
  • jlwjlw
    I would also add that if this works out maybe we should do more beer swap threads. I think there could be some really cool threads about some of the beers identified in this thread.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    yes.
  • BenSBenS

yes.

+1
  • BenSBenS
    jlw said:

There are currently five willing to participate. Maybe we will get a few more if we keep bumping. Here are the ideas I've heard so far: Stout, Dopplebock, Barleywine. I think we could also add: Porter, Strong Ale, Belgian Strong Ale (triple or quad).

Who's the 5th? Me, you, FZ, and father time.
  • BenSBenS
    And we better decide quick. I'm brewing a delirium tremens clone this weekend and probably an oaked dragon's milk a couple weeks after that.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

jlw said:

Me?
  • C_BC_B
    BenS said:

jlw said:

Father time! Ha!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

jlw said:

Me?

Oh, you're for sure in? Not being a smart ass, just thought you were waiting for the style before you decided.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

jlw said:

Me?

Oh, you're for sure in? Not being a smart ass, just thought you were waiting for the style before you decided.

Im in. I'll brew whatever style you guys want. I just hope we decide on vinegar mold stout, because im really good at making that.
  • jlwjlw
    I'm not sure we are any closer to coming to a conclusion on a style here. So, what do you guys think about a Belgian Triple or Quad or a Stout? Both are good winter warmers, both I think age well and you can do a lot with making them unique.
  • BenSBenS
    Agreed. Just pick one and let's get going.
  • jlwjlw
    I'll give it another day or so and pick one.

@FromZwolle
    @lakewood
    @ceannt
    @c_b
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

@FromZwolle
    @lakewood
    @ceannt
    @c_b

emails.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I'm not sure we are any closer to coming to a conclusion on a style here. So, what do you guys think about a Belgian Triple or Quad or a Stout? Both are good winter warmers, both I think age well and you can do a lot with making them unique.

stout as a fist choice. tripel would be cool too, though. never had a quad, so i'm not sure if i want to brew a whole batch of it.
  • BenSBenS

jlw said:

@FromZwolle
    @lakewood
    @ceannt
    @c_b

emails.

Yay!
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

stout as a fist choice. tripel would be cool too, though. never had a quad, so i'm not sure if i want to brew a whole batch of it.

Then go try a quad. I mean right now. Drop everything you're doing and go.

@fromzwolle

BenSThym
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

jlw said:

@fromzwolle

i've never even seen one.
  • jlwjlw
    Have you ever had St. Bernardus Christmas Ale?

• ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

jlw said:

@fromzwolle

this. Right now
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

nope
  • ThymThym

jlw said:

nope

Fix that.
  • C_BC_B

jlw said:

@FromZwolle
    @lakewood
    @ceannt
    @c_b

emails.

Unless it's Lakewood's mold stout I'm probably out. Depending on what you all decide I may try to brew an extract with steeped grains variant. But we'll see about timing and so forth.
  • ThymThym
    @mors are you in?
  • jlwjlw
    The stout idea seems to be a little more favored here. Unless there is a protest let's go with a stout.
  • ThymThym
    Ok.
  • ceanntceannt
    Stout it is
  • morsmors
    I could be in for an imperial stout. How are we going to work out the shipping. Go to 1 central location and then they divy up and send each person a box with each beer in it? Or everyone sent out 5-6 boxes.. Seems like the latter would cost more.
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • jlwjlw
    mors said:

I could be in for an imperial stout. How are we going to work out the shipping. Go to 1 central location and then they divy up and send each person a box with each beer in it? Or everyone sent out 5-6 boxes.. Seems like the latter would cost more.

Yeah, we need to think about that. To keep cost down maybe we just send one person beer.
  • C_BC_B
    mors said:

just send it all here. I'll, uh, divide it up and stuff.
  • ceanntceannt
    We could always just mail it all to @BenS
    sooner or later he will move close enough to all of us to just hand them out

C_B
  • ThymThym
    Thats pretty funny.
  • jlwjlw
    Time to fire up the discussion again on this thread. I'm about a month away from brewing this. Here is the base recipe I think I am going to use.

I have another thread on here with this recipe. One addition will be oats. I may split and add bourbon to one and oak to another.

Any other suggestions for this beer? Please post your recipe here as well.

Stone – Imperial Russian Stout Clone
    OG: 1.096
    FG: 1.020
    IBU: 90+
    SRM: 93
    ABV: 10%
    16.5 lbs 2 row
    2 lbs amber malt
    1.25 roasted barley
    1.25 black malt
    1.7 ounces Warrior at 90 min
    WLP002 – English Ale

Mash at 150 and boil for 90
  • ThymThym
    Ill try to get a recipe pulled together this week.
  • jlwjlw
    I'm thinking about adding a little chocolate malt to this.
  • ThymThym
    another week or so and im brewing.

haven't decided on a recipe. hell. havent even started yet.

but im thinkin OG 1.105, IBU 65-70, SRM 60+

that's my target numbers. i'll build a recipe around that.

lots of chocolate, a good bit of carafa / crystal and a touch of special b. i'm going to sneak some oats in there for body - but not to make an oatmeal stout. hops will be mostly palisades from a year and a half ago + whatever else is handy. i've got 2-row and pilsner for base malt.

WLP006 Bedford British yeast
  • ThymThym
    my beer it going to either blow your mind or make you blow chunks. either way, i win.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

my beer it going to either blow your mind or make you blow chunks. either way, i win.

I would bet on the latter.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

I would bet on the latter.

Ill send you two bottles.
  • morsmors
    I don't have much experience with Wyeast 1762 but the batch of beer I brewed today and put in the conical will have a slurry I plan to use for 3-4 more brews... This will likely be brewed with 1762... Which is weird because it's a belgian yeast strain... but wyeast recommends it for RIS? I guess it depends on how 'belgiany' it comes out in these other beers (Belgian Single, pLambic, Belgian Dark Strong)
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • jlwjlw
    mors said:

I don't have much experience with Wyeast 1762 but the batch of beer I brewed today and put in the conical will have a slurry I plan to use for 3-4 more brews... This will likely be brewed with 1762... Which is weird because it's a belgian yeast strain... but wyeast recommends it for RIS? I guess it depends on how 'belgiany' it comes out in these other beers (Belgian Single, pLambic, Belgian Dark Strong)

I think a Beligian yeast strain could be really good in an RIS.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

another week or so and im brewing.

haven't decided on a recipe. hell. havent even started yet.

but im thinkin OG 1.105, IBU 65-70, SRM 60+

that's my target numbers. i'll build a recipe around that.

lots of chocolate, a good bit of carafa / crystal and a touch of special b. i'm going to sneak some oats in there for body - but not to make an oatmeal stout. hops will be mostly palisades from a year and a half ago + whatever else is handy. i've got 2-row and pilsner for base malt.

WLP006 Bedford British yeast

Big with a nice malt/hop balance made with seriously old hops thus bringing the IBUs down into the delicious range. I bet it'll be good.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'll probably just brew my stout recipe, up the gravity and add bourbon and oak. it was delicious last time i did that, should be even better with a bit more gravity and age on it.
  • ThymThym
    @drcurly you should participate
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Mine would be a new years beer....and I didn't read the whole thread...but I'm intrigued.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Maybe I'll just brew an upgraded version of my basic stout. How bad could it be?

C_B

• ThymThym
    DrCurly said:

Maybe I'll just brew an upgraded version of my basic stout. How bad could it be?

Slightly better than mine?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

is there a thread already?
  • BenSBenS
    Below is the recipe I brewed a few weeks ago.

In Fermenter Vol (Gal) 10.0
    In Fermenter Starting Brix 23.5
    In Fermenter OG 1.099
    In Fermenter FG 1.020
    ABV 10.3
    IBU 31
    SRM 45.8

Fermentables
    American - Pale 2-Row 58%
    German - Munich Light 27%
    American - Caramel / Crystal 80L 3%
    American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 3%
    American - Oats 3%
    American - Chocolate 4%
    United Kingdom - Black Patent 2%

Hops Predicted IBU
    Columbus -USA 31

WY1084-Irish Ale

Mash @ 152F for 60 min
    Chill to 62F
    Ferment @ 64F until terminal gravity reached
    Transfer to bourbon barrel until desired bourbon flavor reached.
    Carbonate to 2.1 vol CO2.
    Age until drunkenness desired.
  • morsmors
    Got mine brewed up on the 1st.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • jlwjlw
    I will brew in the next weekend or so. I ended up being out of town the last week of the year.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I will brew in the next weekend or so. I ended up being out of town the last week of the year.

I ended up crashing my motorcycle the day before I was planning on brewing...
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Boy, you sure know how to get out of something with flair. Way to commit.

BenS
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Boy, you sure know how to get out of something with flair. Way to commit.

Ha ha ha
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

I call bullshit as well. Besides, if you're going to make this excuse, you should have said that it was the day of the brew.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

I call bullshit as well. Besides, if you're going to make this excuse, you should have said that it was the day of the brew.

Crashed Friday. Had everything ready for Saturday. I'll brew when get the splint off.
  • jlwjlw
    Glad I didn't plan for this weekend. Now the high is 31. Maybe next weekend.
  • morsmors
    tried some of while racking today. came out pretty good. debating adding some wood honeycomb to it....
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    mors said:

tried some of while racking today. came out pretty good. debating adding some wood honeycomb to it....

what kind?
  • morsmors

mors said:

what kind?

Well I am unable to find one I know I have... but right now I'm looking at White Ash, Soft Maple, and Hard Maple.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    mors said:

mors said:

what kind?

Well I am unable to find one I know I have... but right now I'm looking at White Ash, Soft Maple, and Hard Maple.

i'd go with hard maple. but then again, i can't be bothered to go look at the recipe you brewed.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    If I brew something in about 3 weeks, can I still participate? I plan on brewing a stout then anyway. I doubt it'll be something that requires 9 months of aging, but It'll be something that'll be great in 9 months.

C_B

• ThymThym
    DrCurly said:

If I brew something in about 3 weeks, can I still participate? I plan on brewing a stout then anyway. I doubt it'll be something that requires 9 months of aging, but It'll be something that'll be great in 9 months.

Registration for the event closed in December but since you asked nice, yes.
  • morsmors
    DrCurly said:

As long as there are no short and curlies in it.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • ThymThym
    :-&
  • jlwjlw
    I'm still trying to find a good weekend to brew. The weather has sucked or I have been out of town.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

I'm still trying to find a good weekend to brew. The weather has sucked or I have been out of town.

I've been saying that for 72 weeks.

C_B
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    mors said:

DrCurly said:

As long as there are no short and curlies in it.

I...uh....I mean....I can't just make promises all willy-nilly...

C_B

• BenSBenS
    Prepping my bourbon barrel for the Christmas stout. This is gonna be so good.
    20150316_181332.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 4M
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    BenS said:

By prepping, I hope you mean aging some whiskey for ten years...and that that is almost done.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

By prepping, I hope you mean aging some whiskey for ten years...and that that is almost done.

It kinda dried out badly because I hadn't used it in over a yr. Soaked it in water for a few days to swell the wood and now I've got a pint of rum in there to sanitize until this weekend when I full it with wonderful imperial stout.

C_BFuzzy