Help with Scoobs Pumpkin ale recipe
  • scoobscoob
    This discussion was created from comments split from: A wonderful place of enchantment and magic.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I need a solid pumpkin ale recipe that doesnt have a crap ton of pumpkin pie spices in it

Ferminator
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    most pumpkin ales i try seem like a basic amber recipe with pie spice added.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    thinking i want subtle spice notes
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I want beer that tastes like beer, not pie spice
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FerminatorFerminator
    scoob said:

I need a solid pumpkin ale recipe that doesnt have a crap ton of pumpkin pie spices in it

That's a solid plan.
  • ceanntceannt
    indeed... I really don't like over spiced beer....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I'm a firm believer that if there is enough to identify what it is... its too damn much
  • ceanntceannt
    always half wanted to do a pumpkin ale... and take it in a different direction.... cardomon and coriander, a little black pepper.... maybe even some fennel seed....
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

always half wanted to do a pumpkin ale... and take it in a different direction.... cardomon and coriander, a little black pepper.... maybe even some fennel seed....

Im thinking adding some heat to mine, cayenne pepper, maybe chipotle to give it some smokey notes as well as a little bite.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

ceannt said:

Im thinking adding some heat to mine, cayenne pepper, maybe chipotle to give it some smokey notes as well as a little bite.

that would work...
    a couple (or three) of cayenne peppers, cut in half and roasted until they start to turn black... throw in the boil with say ten minutes left....
    Red Fresnos are great for this too....
  • ceanntceannt
    an Amber Ale is the best medium I think.... use lots of munich malt....
  • scoobscoob
    heres my starting point so far:

8 lb 2-row
    1 lb dark munnich
    .5 lb c-60
    .5 lb rolled oats
    5-6 lb baked pumpkin (or maybe same weight canned pumpkin?)
    1 oz ekg @ 60
    .5 oz ekg @ 10
    1.5-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp crushed home smoked jalapeno pepper flakes.

mash at 152
    1968 yeast.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I could swap out the 2-row for light munnich
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    that would up the munich
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    or go with 6 pound 2-row and 3 pounds light munich... ?
  • ceanntceannt
    looks like a dang good start though.....
  • scoobscoob
    scoob said:

that would up the munich

100% munich base malt should make for a tasty beer

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    after a little digging......

8 pounds 2-row (2 pounds of this smoked over hickory)
    2.5 pounds Munich (7L)
    1 pound Crystal 75

1.25 oz Cascade 60-min.
    0.25 oz Cascade 5-min.

This is what I used as the base for my red fresno pepper beer... so far the only pepper beer I have ever had that I actually liked....
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

scoob said:

that would up the munich

Yep.... I do love me some munich....
  • scoobscoob
    maybe scratch the c-60 and caramelize the first runnings ala wee heavy method to add depth and colour.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

maybe scratch the c-60 and caramelize the first runnings ala wee heavy method to add depth and colour.

oooooo.... I love it when you talk dirty...
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

scoob said:

oooooo.... I love it when you talk dirty...

aye, and me mouth is waterin thinkin bout it1

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    I really like that idea....

I used a lot of crystal in mine to get some sweetness to balance the heat.... but this..

just sounds effing awesome...
  • ceanntceannt
    what kind of yeast are you thinking????? chico?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    English ale
    Sign here______________________________
  • scoobscoob

English ale

yup, 1968, or maybe s-04
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I just typed the recipe out in an email and sent it to myself so I can transfer it to my recipe file at home.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    scoob said:

Here's my Revised pumpkin ale recipe so far:

8 lb Munich malt
    1.5 lb dark Munich
    .5 lb rolled oats
    1 oz ekg @ 60
    .5 oz ekg @ 10
    1 tsp crushed home smoked jalapeno pepper flakes.

mash pumpkin and grain at 152 degrees for 60 minutes
    Kettle caramelize 1 gallon of first runnings to approx 1 pint
    Wyeast 1968 or S-04 yeast.

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    So what do ya'll think of the chipotle pepper idea?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I think it has merit....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    scoob said:

scoob said:

that would up the munich

always.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    scoob said:

So what do ya'll think of the chipotle pepper idea?

i like it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    but i don't like pumpkin. at all...
  • scoobscoob

is it the pumpkin itself or the pumpkin spice?

for me im not a fan of the spice in a pie or a beer, its too much.

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Gotta caramelize the pumpkin somehow. Either get it hot and turn on the broiler or light the torch and go to town. Aluminum foil on the cookie sheet is a really good idea for pie filling or pumpkin halves.
    Sign here______________________________
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    scoob said:

is it the pumpkin itself or the pumpkin spice?

for me im not a fan of the spice in a pie or a beer, its too much.

both.
  • jlwjlw
    This is an interesting read. I have been wanting to make a pumkin beer like this for a long time. Nothing over the top, I don't want to drink pumpkin pie.

However, I want to hop mine up make like an IPA with that little bit of pumpkin in the background. So my questions for you guys is can I use Sccobs base, remove the chipotle and hop this up? Or would it be better served with a different base?
  • ceanntceannt
    I think it would work .... have a very malty back bone to balance the hops .... what variety of hops are you thinking???
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmmm..... if you went with Vienna instead of munich ... it would still have the malt ... but would be orange colored ..
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I think it would work .... have a very malty back bone to balance the hops .... what variety of hops are you thinking???

Not sure yet. What are you thinking? I don't think the "piney" hops would pair well. Maybe something earthy?
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Hmmmm..... if you went with Vienna instead of munich ... it would still have the malt ... but would be orange colored ..

Interesting. In away I want to do the same base as scoob and then compare.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

This is an interesting read. I have been wanting to make a pumkin beer like this for a long time. Nothing over the top, I don't want to drink pumpkin pie.

However, I want to hop mine up make like an IPA with that little bit of pumpkin in the background. So my questions for you guys is can I use Sccobs base, remove the chipotle and hop this up? Or would it be better served with a different base?

8 lb 2-row
    1 lb dark munnich
    .5 lb c-60
    .5 lb rolled oats
    This is the part I like. I think that munnich would be yummy in a hoppy beer. The half pound of 60 might be a bit much though?

1 oz ekg @ 60
    .5 oz ekg @ 10
    This is the part that goes off the rails for me. I have less than no idea what this would look like.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

Interesting. In away I want to do the same base as scoob and then compare.

Experiment!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

might be ok for a american pale. not so much for an ipa.

ceannt said:

much better than munich.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'm talking about the revised recipe, not the one cb posted.
  • jlwjlw

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

much better than munich.

@FromZwolle are suggesting to do a plae ale or ipa you would go with vienna instead of munich?
  • jlwjlw
    When I think of this beer this is the commercial version of what I envision:

Southern Tier - Pumking

http://www.stbcbeer.com/seasonals/seasonal-imperial/pumking-beer-page/

• jlwjlw
    So after some google searching it seems magnum at the 60 and sterling at around 10 min seems common for the clone recipes I found for the above commercial beer. I don't want to recreate that recipe just trying to figure out what the hop profile is.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

much better than munich.

@FromZwolle are suggesting to do a plae ale or ipa you would go with vienna instead of munich?

yes. i've used vienna for the base malt in a pale ale a few times and it's very tasty.
  • scoobscoob
    I use magnum in a lot of beers for 60 min/FWH addition, nice bittering, not harsh, and easy to pair with most other hops.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

I use magnum in a lot of beers for 60 min/FWH addition, nice bittering, not harsh, and easy to pair with most other hops.

I agree ....a FWH with magnum ... no bittering addition ... and a lot of late addition Sterling ... would be good ... crystal or liberty would work too
  • C_BC_B

Wow yeah. I missed the boat on that one.
  • scoobscoob
    C_B said:

Wow yeah. I missed the boat on that one.

Ha!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

scoob said:

I agree ....a FWH with magnum ... no bittering addition ... and a lot of late addition Sterling ... would be good ... crystal or liberty would work too

Mmmm, that sounds like its gonna be good...

I may brew a few variations... One no pie spice sub butternut squash for pumpkin, add some sage..

One as envisioned by @jlw

Perhaps one with pumpkin, juniper berries and lemongrass.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Butternut squash works as well as pumpkin ... handle it the same way .. slice in half ... roast it til it starts to caramelize ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Always wanted to try acorn squash ... with a touch of coriander ... cardoman and allspice
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... and lots of late addition Spalt hops
  • scoobscoob
    my friend Neil (woodman on here) brewed an acorn squash beer I think, with fresh sage if I recall correctly, it was a pretty good beer....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

my friend Neil (woodman on here) brewed an acorn squash beer I think, with fresh sage if I recall correctly, it was a pretty good beer....

and here I thought I was on to something original.....
  • ceanntceannt
    acorn squash just seems to have much more flavor than butternut or pumpkin....
  • ceanntceannt
    I always liked sweet potato pie better than pumpkin..... hhmmmm.... sweet tater beer?
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

Acorn squash is one of our favorites to bake and serve with dinner
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

ceannt said:

Acorn squash is one of our favorites to bake and serve with dinner

good stuff! I can't eat it without thinking of my mother, it was one of her favorite foods
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I prefer acorns to any other type. My wife uses hubbard squash for pumpkin pie. Go figure. but that might be a substitution.
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    I'd like to resurrect this now that the season is upon us. I've always brewed a lighter style ale with pumpkin and spices but since I've really got into the Alaskan Pumpkin Porter and the Pike Harvest Harlot Ale, I want to go with a darker style this time. The Pike lists organic pils, organic pale, special b, Vienna, organic caramel, and crystal for grains but nothing about lovibond so I don't know how they got their dark color. Alaskan is always a bit more secretive - they just say a blend of 6 malts. If I can establish a good malt mix for the base, I'll do my own thing as far as hops, pumpkin and spices. Also, I have always put the pumpkin chunks into the water raw at the beginning when cold and brought the temperature up and boiled until the pumpkin was done, then scooped it out and used that pumpkin water to then start adding malt. I'd like to roast the pumpkin this time, then mash that up a little and throw it in the boil instead, to add a little toastiness, but I'm concerned that the mashed up pumpkin, once in the fermenter, will settle, then clog up my spigot. Maybe I won't mash it up completely but put it in cheesecloth like a giant teabag so I can pull it out after the boil?? Thoughts? I might add a little garam masala spice this time as it's been my favorite for everything for the past year.
  • ThymThym
    I would not mash it up.

And thanks for raising a zombie thread.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    I got a giant teabag equivalent at the homebrew store along with 3 lbs light dme and 3 lbs darkand some specialy grain, american ale yeast and hops I cant remember and am ready to go when the current keg is done. Sorry for typos - am on th ipad and have wine and scotch in me.
  • ThymThym
    make sure you get pumpkin over to the fermenter.
  • ceanntceannt
    I have long thought that a pumpkin ale brewed with a 60/40 mix of Munich and Vienna malts, with a touch of caramunich, and special B, would be really tasty... I just may try it out someday
  • ceanntceannt
    when I need a "giant teabag" for various sundry weird ingredients.... I just use the gallon sized paint filter bags from the home improvement store... (Lowesdown, Home Despot, etc.)
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    I have never noticed paint filter bags - I'll have to go look at Home Depot.
  • ThymThym
    They make a few sizes gallon ones that fit inside a 1 gallon can and you can double over the top and tie it secure, and 5 gallon bucket sized ones that you use the same way.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

They make a few sizes gallon ones that fit inside a 1 gallon can and you can double over the top and tie it secure, and 5 gallon bucket sized ones that you use the same way.

i have both. i use the one gallons for hops and cheese, the five for grains.