Galena Hops - Whole
  • jlwjlw
    Year two of these in the garden I got almost 1/2 a lb. I'm not really sure what style of beer to make with these. I read they are good buttering hops and can be used with American style ales, English ales and lagers.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    You planted a hop you don't know how to use? JK, I think it is primarily a bittering hop. 1/2 pound wet is pretty close to 1 oz dry? That would be about right for the upper end of pale ale or the low end of IPA.
    Sign here______________________________
  • jlwjlw
    Ha ha. Yes I did. The brew shop owner said the grew well in Virginia. So I figured what the heck.

Also, any storage recommendations? Should I dry? Freeze? Refrigerate? I won't be able to use until at least Labor Day weekend.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Ha ha. Yes I did. The brew shop owner said the grew well in Virginia. So I figured what the heck.

Also, any storage recommendations? Should I dry? Freeze? Refrigerate? I won't be able to use until at least Labor Day weekend.

Any hop that grows well in southern California would be the hop of choice for me.

You could dry it, but if youre going to use it on labor day, you could just pit it in the fridge fresh.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny