Chest Freezer/Refrigeration Question
  • jlwjlw
    So my chest freezer/ferm chamber isn't working. The power is on but nothing is running. Any ideas? It was $60 used. Is worth fixing or should I just buy a new/used one?

Thoughts on what's worng with it.
  • ceanntceannt
    Intuitive wild ass guess .... control board
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Or the compressor
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    is there any noise at all when you plug it in? like a hum or a pop?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    Not a noise. The orange indicator light is on telling me the unit has power. I think it's a compressor but it's a random guess based off of a little internet research.
  • ThymThym
    hard to tell, even from this intensely detailed problem description. I'd start tracing power and go from there.

try to find a schematic for the unit - or just trace the wires and take pictures of what you find.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    If you can bypass all of its controls and run you own thermostat in their place you could save it if it's not a mechanical problem with the compressor.

Are you using a Ranco or similar inline thermostat? If so, take it out, plug the freezer direct to the outlet and turn the units thermostats up and down. If you hear the relay clicking, but get no compressor it's probably toast.
    Sign here______________________________
  • jlwjlw

If you can bypass all of its controls and run you own thermostat in their place you could save it if it's not a mechanical problem with the compressor.

Are you using a Ranco or similar inline thermostat? If so, take it out, plug the freezer direct to the outlet and turn the units thermostats up and down. If you hear the relay clicking, but get no compressor it's probably toast.

I'll check that out. I removed the Ranco and plugged in directly to the outlet and it didn't do anything. I'll check the thermostat next.