Extract Brewing
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    It's been a long, long time since I have used extract. Previously, the high cost of the extract was what kept me full time with all grain, but I recently bought a nice 50# sack of pale dme. I know a few of you guys still occasionally make extract beer, so gimme a little direction here.

In your opinions and experience, which styles lend themselves well to extract brewing? I'm talking extract only or extract w/steeping grains. If I was going to mash any grain, I might as well do all grain.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    extract and steeping grains work well for any style that doesn't need any kind of "special" mash (decoction... high or low mash temps... etc.) or any ingredient that would need to be mashed... oats... flaked barley... multiple base malts...
    for an American IPA an extract/steeping grain approach works just as well as all grain...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

extract and steeping grains work well for any style that doesn't need any kind of "special" mash (decoction... high or low mash temps... etc.) or any ingredient that would need to be mashed... oats... flaked barley... multiple base malts...
    for an American IPA an extract/steeping grain approach works just as well as all grain...

i know that hoppy beers (apa, ipa) should work fine. but i figure i'll have to avoid some of the malt forward beer, like esb, scotch ale, etc.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Really, I'd just like to try and gather a list of beers that I can browse to help with the old 'what to brew next' question.
  • ceanntceannt
    if you get MO extract... an ESB is OK... a Scotch Ale.... just no... if you get munich extract.. an Alt would be OK

Note: the all grain versions of the above are better, but the extract ones are passable...
  • ceanntceannt
    One of the best English IPAs I ever had was an extract /steeping grain brew... I was really shocked when I found out it wasn't all grain
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    so, off the top of my head:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Belgian Golden Strong Ale
    blonde

i'm sure there are more, but i'll amend the list later.
  • ceanntceannt
    the secret is to only use fresh extract....
    Only add a little for the boil ... and the rest at 15 minutes... (OK so hop calcs get a little silly, but it ain't that hard)

Boil a lot of extract for an hour... and it starts to get a little of that.. "twang"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

if you get MO extract... an ESB is OK... a Scotch Ale.... just no... if you get munich extract.. an Alt would be OK

Note: the all grain versions of the above are better, but the extract ones are passable...

could, but won't. i have a big bag of pale extract (from american pale malt), so i'm focusing on beers that would be good for that as the base.
  • ceanntceannt

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

scratch the Belgian Golden/Strong... that needs VERY low mash temps for attenuation

Add American Amber Ale
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

the secret is to only use fresh extract....
    Only add a little for the boil ... and the rest at 15 minutes... (OK so hop calcs get a little silly, but it ain't that hard)

Boil a lot of extract for an hour... and it starts to get a little of that.. "twang"

i was planning on adding X amount after 'sparging' or whatever you call it with the specialty/steeping grains, then adding the bulk of the extract late in the boil.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

scratch the Belgian Golden/Strong... that needs VERY low mash temps for attenuation

Add American Amber Ale

i'm picky with american amber. i like to use flavorful base malts, so i probably wouldn't ever try an extract version.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

Add American Amber Ale

i'm picky with american amber. i like to use flavorful base malts, so i probably wouldn't ever try an extract version.

So .... I'm not the only one that puts a lot of munich in ambers? ???
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

Add American Amber Ale

I even use my cheater decoction mash on mine...
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

Add American Amber Ale

I even use my cheater decoction mash on mine...

OK ... this is just getting scary ...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I listed to a thing on NPR about dumplings today which made me think of this. They were talking about how dumplings were a poor person food from a time where meat was expensive and time was cheap. Some similar economics are at play with extract brewing. I've never brewed extract beer, but i've had good stuff. I'd brew more than twice a year if it didn't take a full day.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

I listed to a thing on NPR about dumplings today which made me think of this. They were talking about how dumplings were a poor person food from a time where meat was expensive and time was cheap. Some similar economics are at play with extract brewing. I've never brewed extract beer, but i've had good stuff. I'd brew more than twice a year if it didn't take a full day.

But extract is faster and more expensive than all grain? I'm failing to see your point.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

But extract is faster and more expensive than all grain? I'm failing to see your point.

It's the opposite of dumplings.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    You can brew a good wit or hefe with extract. Snow Storm originated as an extract recipe.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

You can brew a good wit or hefe with extract. Snow Storm originated as an extract recipe.

but i don't have wheat extract. :(

i was thinking of just mashing the wheat portion and using dme for the barley, but that just sounds like a nightmare sparge. plus, if i already have to mash, i might as well just do a proper all grain brew.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Lakewood said:

i was thinking of just mashing the wheat portion and using dme for the barley, but that just sounds like a nightmare sparge. plus, if i already have to mash, i might as well just do a proper all grain brew.

then get some
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

then get some

i would get wheat extract.

and pay attention to the content of the wheat extract. most are 60% wheat 40% Barley, some are 50/50. try to keep the grain ration the same as the AG recipe.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lakewood said:

then get some

no. i don't need 50# of it and smaller portions are way too dang expensive.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

then get some

i would get wheat extract.

and pay attention to the content of the wheat extract. most are 60% wheat 40% Barley, some are 50/50. try to keep the grain ration the same as the AG recipe.

This.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

i feel like tossing some half batches together to have some beer in bottles in case i actually have an octoberfest party. probably start with the mild, ipa, and either the orange kolsch, a cream ale, or something off the wall with caramelized lactose.
  • ceanntceannt
    Some'at about caramelized lactose curdles my gut .....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Really? I think it sounds like ambrosia.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

I scorched some milk once ... bad ...
    The smell was awful ...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

The smell was awful ...

Yeah, but it's the proteins burning that are nasty, not the sugars.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

The smell was awful ...

I didn't say it was rational ....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

The smell was awful ...

I didn't say it was rational ....

*shakes fist at cloud*
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

The smell was awful ...

so have i, and yes it was.
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    I haven't ventured into all grain yet - need to see a demo, I'm definitely visual, and I don't have the equipment. That being said, I do extract plus steeping grain. What I can't quite seem to get to is a true Pale or Golden Ale as you cannot get that light of a color with extract. Hubby ha requested the lightest beer I can make (I will have to draw the line somewhere) so I will be trying the extra light dme, but he's going to have to wait and finish the Naughty Nellie clone that's in one keg, as I plan to brew up a butternut squash ale this weekend. I just had Pike Brewery's Harlot Harvest Ale and am ready to celebrate fall!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    N_Clark said:

I haven't ventured into all grain yet - need to see a demo, I'm definitely visual, and I don't have the equipment. That being said, I do extract plus steeping grain. What I can't quite seem to get to is a true Pale or Golden Ale as you cannot get that light of a color with extract. Hubby ha requested the lightest beer I can make (I will have to draw the line somewhere) so I will be trying the extra light dme, but he's going to have to wait and finish the Naughty Nellie clone that's in one keg, as I plan to brew up a butternut squash ale this weekend. I just had Pike Brewery's Harlot Harvest Ale and am ready to celebrate fall!

the extra light should be pilsner malt extract, which is as light as you can get with extracts.

if you're trying to brew light as in color, you're limited by the extract, if you'll trying to lighten up the body, you can try using rice syrup or corn sugar to cut out some of the body and dry the beer out a bit.
  • ceanntceannt

N_Clark said:

the extra light should be pilsner malt extract, which is as light as you can get with extracts.

if you're trying to brew light as in color, you're limited by the extract, if you'll trying to lighten up the body, you can try using rice syrup or corn sugar to cut out some of the body and dry the beer out a bit.

This ... just be careful not to overdo it ...
    also .. add the bulk of extract late in the boil ...comes out a little lighter in color
  • ceanntceannt
    All grain really isn't that much more difficult .... just takes longer ... equipment wise all you really need is something to mash the grain in ... I brewed for years with a cheap 5 gallon cooler and did a two pot boil on the kitchen stove
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    Yeah I'll try out all grain at some point. We're on the homebuilding project that hasn't ended after five years so I keep saying "when we're done..." and then I know I've been absent this year a lot but it has been one crappy string of events after another. Surely 2014 has to be better. I'm happy I've been able to brew at all! As far as lightening up an extract recipe, I'm not too worried about it since I'll amuse hubby but really I prefer my beers to have more character to them. We are bummed out that Alaskan has discontinued their Golden Ale though which was my very favorite in that category. They can't get the delicate hops anymore since so many farmers have switched to high alpha strains.
  • scoobscoob
    N_Clark said:

Have you tried adding the bulk of the extract late in the boil to reduce caramelization? It's a thought that may help lighten your beers color profile as well as lighten the mouthfeel a tick as well.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    N_Clark said:

The light part has been answer seriously so I'll answer comically.

Boil an ounce of hops in a cup of water for a minute or so. Light and flavorful.
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    C_B - that's about right too - he said recently that he didn't understand what all the fuss was about homebrewing - it's really easy! (that's because I do it!) But I will draw the line if keeps wanting it lighter yet and just tell him to go buy a suitcase of Budweiser.
  • ThymThym
    Light in color does not mean light in flavor or in strength necesarrily. Snow storm wit can come in at srm 4. I've made a blonde that was 8% abv and malt forward that was lighter in color than an MGD.

All grain and a soft boil is the key.
  • ThymThym
    And you can try all grain using the brew in a bag method without buying any new equipment beside a $3 grain bag. Search the forum for BIAB or Brew in a Bag. I have a thread out there on it.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

And you can try all grain using the brew in a bag method without buying any new equipment beside a $3 grain bag. Search the forum for BIAB or Brew in a Bag. I have a thread out there on it.

Just don't get left holding the bag ....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

Just don't get left holding the bag ....

Har har.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Really this. BIAB is easy peasy. What was this thread about?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

it was about making beer.... I think... maybe drinking beer?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

it was about making beer.... I think... maybe drinking beer?

that seems unlikely. i thought this was a tai-kwon-do forum?
  • ceanntceannt
    I tried brewing with a bag once ......
    But the wife got bored and left ....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I tried brewing with a bag once ......
    But the wife got bored and left ....

Ouch.
  • ThymThym
    Keep the bs on the bs thread. There was a real question here. Well, there was a real question and then an observation/comment which raised a second topic, which you bone heads then crashed and turned into a room full of monkeys flinging poo.

• FuzzyFuzzy

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

i feel like tossing some half batches together to have some beer in bottles in case i actually have an octoberfest party. probably start with the mild, ipa, and either the orange kolsch, a cream ale, or something off the wall with caramelized lactose.

ok, fine. so back on target. what should i brew next? i'm leaning towards stout, but i also want to build up a good pitch of lager yeast for a doppelbock or my vienna lager, so i was thinking of a half batch of something low-ish gravity to do that.
  • ThymThym

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

ok, fine. so back on target. what should i brew next? i'm leaning towards stout, but i also want to build up a good pitch of lager yeast for a doppelbock or my vienna lager, so i was thinking of a half batch of something low-ish gravity to do that.

Dampfbier
  • C_BC_B

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

Extract Hefe's are nice and easy. I have a good recipe for that on here.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

Extract Hefe's are nice and easy. I have a good recipe for that on here.

i just brewed an all grain hefe, so probably don't need more of that just yet.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

Dampfbier

and i can use the hefe yeast for it! good plan.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

Dampfbier

and i can use the hefe yeast for it! good plan.

YAY!
  • ceanntceannt
    OK.... so here is a real question... How in the heck do you adequately stir the mash when you brew with the grain in a bag?

(remember I advocate a LOT of stirring...)
  • ceanntceannt
    my first few all grain batches were mashed in a big stock pot.... I pre-heated the oven to my mash temp, and placed the pot in the oven to hold temps... I then dumped the whole mash through a strainer, and put the grain back in the pot to sparge... took forever, and my efficiency was horrid, but it needed no additional equipment at all, and gave me the control I was lacking with extracts and steeping grains.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i get one of those five gallon paint strainer bags and put it in my igloo cooler mash tun, with the top of the bag folded over the side. it's the best of both worlds.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

my first few all grain batches were mashed in a big stock pot.... I pre-heated the oven to my mash temp, and placed the pot in the oven to hold temps... I then dumped the whole mash through a strainer, and put the grain back in the pot to sparge... took forever, and my efficiency was horrid, but it needed no additional equipment at all, and gave me the control I was lacking with extracts and steeping grains.

Ha! I did that a few times back in the good old days.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Ha! I did that a few times back in the good old days.

yeah.... my first "real" mash tun wasn't much better...
    2 drywall buckets... one inside the other... I drilled a whole bunch of little holes in the upper one for a false bottom... and stuck a hose out of the bottom of the lower one... didn't even have a valve, I just clamped the hose...
    even wrapped in blankets heat loss was horrid.... but dang it, it worked... and was virtually free
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

OK.... so here is a real question... How in the heck do you adequately stir the mash when you brew with the grain in a bag?

When I did PM 5 gallon batches on the stove my bag was nearly as big as the pot. Stirring was easy.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

When I did PM 5 gallon batches on the stove my bag was nearly as big as the pot. Stirring was easy.

Yup. The bag I used was easily as big as the kettle. No issue with stirring.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

mild ale and ipa are on tap now. probably dampfbier and apa up next.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and i gotta add hoppy red ale to the list.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

up next.
  • ceanntceannt

up next.

wait... I'm confused..... did you say hoppy? wtf?
  • ThymThym
    Sounds good.
  • ThymThym
    He's doing extract, better to stay on the hoppy side than the malty side of the beer world when doing extract.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

He's doing extract, better to stay on the hoppy side than the malty side of the beer world when doing extract.

exactly.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Yeah but .... but .... fz brewing a hoppy beer will upset the balance of the universe .... he just thought about it, and temperatures dropped to levels not seen since the last ice age ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah but .... but .... fz brewing a hoppy beer will upset the balance of the universe .... he just thought about it, and temperatures dropped to levels not seen since the last ice age ....

don't worry. my hoppy and urryone else's hoppy is not the same thing. ;)
  • FuzzyFuzzy

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

screw this list. ipa's and apa's all summer long.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    extract, without partial mash, just doesn't have enough to hold it's own on a malty beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the extra light extract, that is.
  • ThymThym

the extra light extract, that is.

Pretty much any extract.
  • C_BC_B

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

WTF is wrong with you?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

WTF is wrong with you?

i bought too many hops.
  • ceanntceannt

C_B said:

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

WTF is wrong with you?

i bought too many hops.

I just figured somebody hacked your account
  • ThymThym

C_B said:

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

WTF is wrong with you?

i bought too many hops.

Impossible.
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    I brew extract but I "teabag" it with partial grain for more body and depth. Going to try for an Elysian Loser Pale Ale clone next weekend.
  • ThymThym
    N_Clark said:

I brew extract but I "teabag" it with partial grain for more body and depth. Going to try for an Elysian Loser Pale Ale clone next weekend.

steeping grains helps a lot with flavor in an extract beer. i liked doing partial mashes with the steeping grains by adding a pound or two of crushed two row and letting it convert. that really opened up my brewing options and took my beers to a new level.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    N_Clark said:

I brew extract but I "teabag" it with partial grain from my body and depth.

Ouch!
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • N_ClarkN_Clark

N_Clark said:

I brew extract but I "teabag" it with partial grain from my body and depth.

Ouch!

You almost had me fooled. I had to go back and check my original post!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

steeping grains helps a lot with flavor in an extract beer. i liked doing partial mashes with the steeping grains by adding a pound or two of crushed two row and letting it convert. that really opened up my brewing options and took my beers to a new level.

i'm morally opposed to partial mashes.
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.

with my current set up, partial mash is actually a little more trouble than all grain. if it saves me no time or effort for equal or lesser results, i'm not gonna do it.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.

with my current set up, partial mash is actually a little more trouble than all grain. if it saves me no time or effort for equal or lesser results, i'm not gonna do it.

That makes you equipment constrained, not morally against it.
  • ThymThym
    I did lots of partial mashes when i didnt have a large enough brew kettle to do a brew in a bag and i had no mash tun. now i just do all grain unless im trying to make something really high gravity, then i add dme to get the gravity im looking for.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.

but i refuse to buy equipment that doesn't increase my batch size. it would be sinful.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

C_B said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.

but i refuse to buy equipment that doesn't increase my batch size. it would be sinful.

Get a bigger kettle. Mash as with AG, then dump in some extract to make up for the bigger kettle.
    ZomboDroid03062014062206.jpg
    450 x 304 - 41K

C_BThym
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_B said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.

Get a bigger kettle. Mash as with AG, then dump in some extract to make up for the bigger kettle.

but why bother? that's the same amount of effort it would take to just go full grain.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

C_B said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

N_Clark said:

Explain.

but why bother? that's the same amount of effort it would take to just go full grain.

Yeah, why bother with more beer?
    -Some guy in Ohio