Smoked Malt, Home-smoked malt.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Has anyone smoked their own malt at home?

I have rigged up a cold smoker using an old BBQ, 1 quart paint can, an aquarium pump and some 1/4'' Bev line.

I am planning to test this thing out later when it cools down outside. I know that the grain will absorb the smoke character better if soaked in water. Is there a minimum/maximum time need to soak the grain? I was going to soak for probably 30 minutes. This first run of smoking is utilizing some Pilsen Malt and Pecan wood chips. Will try and keep the smoke going for 1.5-2 hours, and then will stick the malt, in a pan, into an oven on low for about an hour to toast and dry it.

I guess I don't have a specific question, and I am just fishing for some "open source brewing knowledge" on the subject.

Thanks!
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ceanntceannt
    The cold smoking is the way to go .... I smoked some malt over hickory in my smoker with just a tiny amount of charcoal to keep the heat down . 2 hours should be enough. The important thing ... after smoking ... and in your case also toasting ... don't brew with it right away ... allow it to mellow out for a couple weeks first
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Thanks. I don't even know if I'll use this for a brew or not. Just wanted to test the smoker, but I am sure this two pounds of pilsen will find its way into my Gotlandsdricka when I brew it.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I don't think much if any soaking is required. You aren't trying to make a crystal malt. A quick dunk and/or just hit it with a mist from a spray bottle a couple times during the smoke. You are just giving the smoke a wet surface to stick to. I have a small, maybe 1/2 gallon, pressure spray can that I use for watering small plants and spraying liquid fertilizer on established plants that would work great.
    Sign here______________________________
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    What Jeepin' said. You can soak, but if you just want a little smoke flavor it's not necessary. It would be really cool to make crystal in a smoker, but you'd need to get the temp up to a good mash point and then to a roasting temp.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob
    I think I started a thread a while back on home smoking malt, I could be mistaken though, when I get home and on the computer I will see if I posted one or not.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    scoob said:

I think I started a thread a while back on home smoking malt, I could be mistaken though, when I get home and on the computer I will see if I posted one or not.

Someone did, if it wasn't you, you posted a lot on it.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob
    At any rate, I smoke mine on metal screens that I folded up into cookie sheet like things for some strength.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I found some smaller, adjustable window screens lying around that I clean up and they hold about two pounds of grains, and also fit the re-purposed BBQ perfectly!

At any rate, attempt to cold smoke no. 1 was kind of a failure. I think I need a more powerful ignition source. My crummy lighter wasn't enough to keep a constant supply of smoke. I will pick up a butane lighter tomorrow and give that a shot.
    Look in the BBQ forums out somewhere on the world wide intertube for the coffee can soldering iron cold smoker. I think Jerry, Fry, or someone here also has experience with it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

I found some smaller, adjustable window screens lying around that I clean up and they hold about two pounds of grains, and also fit the re-purposed BBQ perfectly!

At any rate, attempt to cold smoke no. 1 was kind of a failure. I think I need a more powerful ignition source. My crummy lighter wasn't enough to keep a constant supply of smoke. I will pick up a butane lighter tomorrow and give that a shot.

Look in the BBQ forums out somewhere on the world wide intertube for the coffee can soldering iron cold smoker. I think Jerry, Fry, or someone here also has experience with it.

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/115#Item_7
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
    Ok @Evan_B, it was @FromZwolle
  • ceanntceannt

Ok @Evan_B, it was @FromZwolle

Thanks jeep ... I couldn't remember
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/115#Item_7

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Will start looking for a woodburner at Michael's after work. Thank you!
  • ThymThym
    I think I posted my fuzzy inspired build thread on here as well. Worked well for small stuff.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    I've been close to trying this iron in a can method for cold smoking cheese(note to self: make another batch of cheese). And then a friend gave me a round electric conversion element that almost fits in my 22.5" weber. I think it's made for a brinkmann. Eventually I'll make a riser or rewire the plug so that it fits and I can cold smoke with chips in a box.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I made a little think that didn't work back then, did I post pics? I hope not, it didn't work.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    Since I'm still doing extract brews and just adding grain via partial mash, I thought I'd try smoking up just a pound or two over hickory since I'll be smoking bacon next weekend. Wanted a lighter style than a porter though...wondering about a style where smoke notes would work perhaps with another element? I love these beers aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels but i don't have access to that. What about a black tea? I like lapsang souchon which is a really smoky black tea.
  • ThymThym
    N_Clark said:

Since I'm still doing extract brews and just adding grain via partial mash, I thought I'd try smoking up just a pound or two over hickory since I'll be smoking bacon next weekend. Wanted a lighter style than a porter though...wondering about a style where smoke notes would work perhaps with another element? I love these beers aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels but i don't have access to that. What about a black tea? I like lapsang souchon which is a really smoky black tea.

stay away from anything with any real hops notes to it. the hop flavor and aroma does not meld well with smoky/peaty. you could probably use an alt style base or something kinda malty and boozy without much roasted malt or chocolate in it...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    A Red Ale lends itself very well .... go light on the hops .... hickory smoke does magic things in them