How to sanitize wood chips
  • jlwjlw
    Finally getting around to oaking my beer after meaning to do this like a month ago.

Anyway, was wondering what are some common ways to sanitize wood chips? I have read you can steam them. What about toasting them?

And these are French Oak chips.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I've always roasted them, two birds with one stone. Soaking them in whiskey works too.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

I've always roasted them, two birds with one stone. Soaking them in whiskey works too.

How long do you roast? I have no bourbon or whiskey on hand so that idea is out.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

How long do you roast? I have no bourbon or whiskey on hand so that idea is out.

Depends what you want out of the chips. If you want smokey go 475 until your smoke detector tells you it's done. If you want toasty 300 ish till slightly colored, or dark colored, depends what flavors you want. If you want no roasted flavor boil 'em for a few min.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If your beer is over 3% abv don't worry about it too much. As long as you didn't find them on the floor of a new York city subway.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Finally getting around to oaking my beer after meaning to do this like a month ago.

Anyway, was wondering what are some common ways to sanitize wood chips? I have read you can steam them. What about toasting them?

And these are French Oak chips.

toasting!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    I wouldn't bother boiling, it would be pretty ineffective unless you could keep them submerged and even then you just be leeching all of the good flavor compounds out anyway. Steam works, not too wet. Or dry heat from the oven.

I'd use alcohol, effective + added flavor. Any booze would work.

The other alternative would be to char them lightly with a torch. But that will give you a whole different flavor profile.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I wouldn't bother boiling, it would be pretty ineffective unless you could keep them submerged and even then you just be leeching all of the good flavor compounds out anyway. Steam works, not too wet. Or dry heat from the oven.

The other alternative would be to char them lightly with a torch. But that will give you a whole different flavor profile.

Torch!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

Torch!

depends on the initial toast level. if it's lightly toasted, you should be ok, but the cubes i have are already medium toast. adding more charring wouldn't be ideal.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake