Mash techniques
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    My last 5-6 batches have included a step mash with a Protein Rest, Beta-Sacch rest, Alpha-Sacch rest, and sparge. I am looking to develop a mashing technique that leaves me a lot of room to play with the fermentability of the wort. This is why I prefer the step mash, as I can differentiate the Beta and Alpha rests to produce a lighter body with a longer beta rest, but still leave some dextins with an alpha. My usual step between the two is beta - 145 for 40 minutes and alpha - 158 for 20 minutes. Anyways, I like the step infusion mash. I have recently been reading up on no sparge mashing, and the general consensus is that it improves overall malt character. I think I want to play around with this a little.
    My idea for my brew tomorrow is to implore a step mash with a protein rest and beta rest at approx 147. However, instead of moving onto the alpha rest, I am planning to just add the rest of my strike water needed to reach pre boil volume at approx 180 degrees (will cool to 168 once added to mash....hopefully) to work as sort of a pseudo-alpha sacch rest/ mash-out.

I am not sure what I am getting at with this post. I think I just needed to type it out, as it was getting confusing going back and forth in my head.

I guess if theres is any part of this that seems idiotic I would appreciate a heads up, haha. Just wanted to play around with new mashing techniques.

... I also need to try out a turbid mash. I have all the parts, just haven't mustered up the courage.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    no sparge will intensify the malt character but reduce efficiency for the same OG, mostly because you aren't stripping every little bit of residue out of the grain bed. it's good stuff. i've done it a few times, always leaves a more robust malt profile. drain it slow, as slow as you can.

your pseudo mashout/alpha rest, will really act as an alpha. since you aren't raising temps high enough to stop enzymatic action, it will continue to convert, with alpha amylase being dominant during the whole sparge and initial heating process. you may end up with a much thinner than expected mouthfeel, as the enzymes will be active for quite a while at an elevated temp and with probably cleave everything down into nice bite sized chunks for the yeast.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    I used to experiment with complex mash schedules.... I keep them simple now ... even with decoction mashes. I can play with fermentability with a simple single infusion mash well enough. If I want a lot of fermentables and dexitrins both I will mash a tad higher ... and let it go longer.. say a couple hours ...or longer ... the long chains will continue to break down. I boil the first runnings to stop the enzymes and sparge with low "mash temp" water and do long sparge rests to allow sugars remaining to continue conversion. Just me, but I find it easier than hitting critical temps with a step mash ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    With modern fully modified malts I see no benefit from a protein rest ... and have heard that a long protein rest is actually detrimental .. so if you do a protein rest .... keep it short .. 10 to 15 minutes tops
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I used to experiment with complex mash schedules.... I keep them simple now ... even with decoction mashes. I can play with fermentability with a simple single infusion mash well enough. If I want a lot of fermentables and dexitrins both I will mash a tad higher ... and let it go longer.. say a couple hours ...or longer ... the long chains will continue to break down. I boil the first runnings to stop the enzymes and sparge with low "mash temp" water and do long sparge rests to allow sugars remaining to continue conversion. Just me, but I find it easier than hitting critical temps with a step mash ...

this is where i'm at usually, but more because of laziness. >:D<

i'd play around with an acid rest more often, but outside of decoctions, it's a bit of a pain to step mash with my system.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

With modern fully modified malts I see no benefit from a protein rest ... and have heard that a long protein rest is actually detrimental .. so if you do a protein rest .... keep it short .. 10 to 15 minutes tops

i've also read this a few times. i've done no testing to see the difference, but i don't often brew beers where it would make a drastic change.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake