Calling all IPA Jerks,
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I need some advice. I'm probably going to brew my caramel honey EEPAH tomorrow, but I'm stuck on the hops. I want to use two or three of these, but I can't decide what. Gimme some opinions:

Citra
    HBC 462-experimental/new strain. supposed to have a grape like flavor?
    Cascade
    Calypso
    Ahtanum
    Glacier
    Columbus
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @lakewood
    @JLW
    @DrCurly
    and anybody else.

I'd @ frydogboobs, but he wouldn't read past the first hop choice.
  • jlwjlw
    Well I love some citra. But Columbus and cascades go really well together. I brew an all Columbus ipa that is delicious.
  • jlwjlw
    When I get home ill look at some of my combos.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I really love citra. But all others are solid, what are you in the mood for? What's the cheapest one?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Why is Centanal not on the list?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Why is Centanal not on the list?

because i'm out of it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I really love citra. But all others are solid, what are you in the mood for? What's the cheapest one?

price is irrelevant, i already have them.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Well I love some citra. But Columbus and cascades go really well together. I brew an all Columbus ipa that is delicious.

sounds good. i'm not really familiar with columbus yet. would it be better used more towards 15 minutes or closer to flameout?

i plan on only doing a 30 minute boil on this beer, as i really like going with all late additions on apas and ipas.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Then use them all. I don't see any crosses that would be nasty in the list. Just mix them and slowly add them. Save some for dry hopping.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

sounds good. i'm not really familiar with columbus yet. would it be better used more towards 15 minutes or closer to flameout?

i plan on only doing a 30 minute boil on this beer, as i really like going with all late additions on apas and ipas.

I might add a little cascade at 30 and then a bunch of Columbus starting at like 15/10/5/0 mad flavor without all the bitterness.
  • jlwjlw
    My all Columbus IPA goes like this:
    0.25 - 20
    3.0 - 0

Next time I will throw more in at 10 and 5

Summertime IPA:
    0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 5.5 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Then use them all. I don't see any crosses that would be nasty in the list. Just mix them and slowly add them. Save some for dry hopping.

sounds like hop stew. [-(
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

jlw said:

I might add a little cascade at 30 and then a bunch of Columbus starting at like 15/10/5/0 mad flavor without all the bitterness.

jlw said:

My all Columbus IPA goes like this:
    0.25 - 20
    3.0 - 0

Next time I will throw more in at 10 and 5

Summertime IPA:
    0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 5.5 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

ok, so i'm thinkin:

3/4 oz cascade @ 20 or so,
    then an ounce of columbus @
    10, 5, and 0, or whatever amounts get me the ibu's i need.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and to all the jerks that haven't had any input, this thread is open ended. i plan on making several ipas/pales with those same hops. feel free to make whatever suggestions you like toward future batches.
  • C_BC_B
    (stumbles drunk into a dark room)
    Oh, sorry guys, I'm in the wrong place.
    (shuts door)
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

(stumbles drunk into a dark room)
    Oh, sorry guys, I'm in the wrong place.
    (shuts door)

You know you want some of this.
  • jlwjlw

I like this a lot. Do it!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    silly gingers.

colubus for bitter, citra for flavor.
    Cascade for dry hop.

The other ones are crappy flavor hops.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

silly gingers.

Cascade for dry hop.

wrong. ahtanum and calypso are good for flavor, citra is a better dry hop than cascade, and you smell like a forest animal so what do you know anyway?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

silly gingers.

Cascade for dry hop.

wrong. ahtanum and calypso are good for flavor, citra is a better dry hop than cascade, and you smell like a forest animal so what do you know anyway?

so many things are wrong in there, i won't even touch it.
    Also, aren't your citra hops nearly 2 years old now. factor that in smart guy.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

silly gingers.

Cascade for dry hop.

so many things are wrong in there, i won't even touch it.
    Also, aren't your citra hops nearly 2 years old now. factor that in smart guy.

my programming does not allow for mistakes. and they are old, but i dry hopped with them this summer and they still had a great deal of flavor in that capacity, so :P
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    but yeah, i probably won't use them for flavor additions.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I've read a lot more and brewed a IIPA and an IPA recently where I added a 60 min, then the rest at the end at flameout, two whirlpool additions and one or two dry hop additions. Tons of aroma and flavor. I'd suggest just that with whatever hops you choose, add enough bitter and the rest at the end of boil and beyond.
  • ThymThym
    i do a lot of beers with columbus, cascade and centennial. they pair together well.

i usually go with columbus or centennial for bittering, cascade for finishing.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I've read a lot more and brewed a IIPA and an IPA recently where I added a 60 min, then the rest at the end at flameout, two whirlpool additions and one or two dry hop additions. Tons of aroma and flavor. I'd suggest just that with whatever hops you choose, add enough bitter and the rest at the end of boil and beyond.

yup, that's pretty much my go to technique too.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh ... just blast it with a pound each of Simcoe and Chinook .... you know you want to ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Oh ... just blast it with a pound each of Simcoe and Chinook .... you know you want to ...

ewww. not even drugged, at gunpoint!
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ewww. not even drugged, at gunpoint!

Hahaha
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    As has been mentioned before, Columbus and Centennial/Cascade work well together. I hopbursted (all late additions) my CDA with Columbus and Centennial, and really liked it. The herbal, slightly piney, and overal; "dankness" from the Columbus plays well with the grapefruity character of either Centennial or Cascade.

With that being said, I would really like to try using a Columbus/Ahtanum combination.

Lots of people love Citra, and Amarillo for that matter. In my experience, when used for late additions and when you dry hop with both Citra and Amarillo, it smells a little bit too much like cat urine.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • LothosLothos
    now why are there no Belma hops Alpha Acid 12.1% in there

i got a LB of them
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Not a lot of people have Belma in their stashes, hell, I'd say most people haven't even heard of Belma hops if they aren't from the PNW.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Not a lot of people have Belma in their stashes, hell, I'd say most people haven't even heard of Belma hops if they aren't from the PNW.

Belma? Wud dat?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Belma? Wud dat?

I don't know. I'm not from the PNW.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I have a lb of belma, brewing a single hop IPA with them soon. Reviews on belma have said it is rather disappointing, and from another brewer in our local club, he was not impressed and doubted the 12.1% AA. Only recipes I have found for them are hoppy wheats with other hops as well.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I like this a lot. Do it!

i guess i didn't postie the final recipe that i came up with, so here it is.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/guineveres-lament
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I mentioned this in the back room, but this guy got infected. :(
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I was so pissed off, i just slapped the lid back on and walked away for a week.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Then I figured, what the hey, why not keg it up anyway. Then I'd have hoppy sour beer to mix with stuff that lacked depth or whatever.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    It ended up with the best possible result, though. I can't detect even a hint of off flavor and the body is right where it should be for an IPA.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    It's weird, but I'm not going to question it. There was definitely a pellicle. I can only assume that the off flavors were very mild and hidden by the hop punch.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    At this point I'm trying very hard not to find the infection flavor. If I do, I'll focus in on it like a laser and it'll ruin the rest of the batch for me.
  • ceanntceannt

At this point I'm trying very hard not to find the infection flavor. If I do, I'll focus in on it like a laser and it'll ruin the rest of the batch for me.

Why do I find this so amusing?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Why do I find this so amusing?

because you're a jerk. %-(
  • ceanntceannt
    :D
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Benvarine said:

I have a lb of belma, brewing a single hop IPA with them soon. Reviews on belma have said it is rather disappointing, and from another brewer in our local club, he was not impressed and doubted the 12.1% AA. Only recipes I have found for them are hoppy wheats with other hops as well.

I did a Belma session IPA thing. I can also attest that the Belma was rather disappointing. Nothing characteristic to speak of, just a generic hoppy bitterness. My mom really likes the beer, if that says anything about it. I was suspicious it was just the Belma my LHBS carried. I would really like to hear what you get out of it.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    HBC 462-experimental/new strain. supposed to have a grape like flavor?
    Cascade
    Calypso
    Ahtanum
    Glacier
    Columbus

so what's next? i'm leaning towards that experimental variety, but i'm not entirely sure what to shoot for. probably better for a maltier ipa, with nugget mixed in.
  • ceanntceannt
    I did an English IPA with Glacier once (back during the "great hop shortage" a few years ago)
    It was really good....
  • ThymThym

It's weird, but I'm not going to question it. There was definitely a pellicle. I can only assume that the off flavors were very mild and hidden by the hop punch.

weird
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I did an English IPA with Glacier once (back during the "great hop shortage" a few years ago)
    It was really good....

what's the flavor like? i haven't used glacier yet.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

It was really good....

Hmmm ..... similar to fuggles .... but more, uh "American".... has subtle citrus notes ....
    Gotta remember it has been about three years .... and I am half senile ... so the above may be way off base .... all I really remember it that it were yummy ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

It was really good....

Hmmm ..... similar to fuggles .... but more, uh "American".... has subtle citrus notes ....
    Gotta remember it has been about three years .... and I am half senile ... so the above may be way off base .... all I really remember it that it were yummy ....

that sounds yummy
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

It was really good....

that sounds yummy

What? My senile mind ... or the hops?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

It was really good....

that sounds yummy

yes. braaaaaiinnnzzzz 8-X
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

It was really good....

that sounds yummy

yes. braaaaaiinnnzzzz 8-X

I knew it!!!!!!!

The zombie apocalypse has begun!