Bottle Priming a Hefe
  • jlwjlw
    For 5 gallons 4 volumes of co2, 8.5 oz of sugar? Seems way high to me. I know hefe's are primed higher but this seems like bottle explosion territory.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .... that seems insanely high for normal craft bottles ... I would think twice before going much over 3 or 4 ounces
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I would much rather undercarb than risk losing another batch and having glass shrapnel flying everywhere
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    sounds about right to me. that's i've gone for 3 volumes in a wheat beer with a little under 6 ounces of table sugar, so 8 should get you to 4 volumes, assuming it's carbing around 72F.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Too much for my palate, but sounds legit/high for "the style" or whatever. The most I've done in bottles is 5.5oz of DME in a touch under 5 gallons. No explosions.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Too much for my palate, but sounds legit/high for "the style" or whatever. The most I've done in bottles is 5.5oz of DME in a touch under 5 gallons. No explosions.

that's super low. like a little less than 2 volumes.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    cool for english ales, but no bueno for wheat beer.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Drink up a couple cases of DFH. Those bottles seem sturdier than most.
    Sign here______________________________
  • jlwjlw
    The deed is done. Ill let you know how it turns out.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Drink up a couple cases of DFH. Those bottles seem sturdier than most.

i have thinner and thicker bottles. the wheat/other high carb stuff always goes into the thicker bottles.
  • ceanntceannt
    I can see going going real high carb in kegs ....
  • ceanntceannt
    But I hate bottles carbed high
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

Indeed, I suppose one could carb to 15 volumes if you wanted, soda is carbed to 4 volumes in those corney kegs, well below the kaboom rating of a keg.

I carb my hefe to 3 volumes typically and think its the best compromise for my equipment and tastes.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

that's super low. like a little less than 2 volumes.

I'm sorry, corn sugar? Whatever comes in those kits.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    ceannt said:

Yup, I plan on getting a carbonator cap and doing a destructive test on a soda bottle to see what they will withstand just so I can give a guy a Mt Dew carbed to 6+ volumes.
    Sign here______________________________
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    scoob said:

ceannt said:

Indeed, I suppose one could carb to 15 volumes if you wanted, soda is carbed to 4 volumes in those corney kegs, well below the kaboom rating of a keg.

I carb my hefe to 3 volumes typically and think its the best compromise for my equipment and tastes.

you'd need one heck of a long run to serve that, though.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

ceannt said:

Yup, I plan on getting a carbonator cap and doing a destructive test on a soda bottle to see what they will withstand just so I can give a guy a Mt Dew carbed to 6+ volumes.

do it.
  • scoobscoob

ceannt said:

do it.

Seconded, I want video too.....
    Jesus didn't wear pants