Bottling Bucket Advice Needed
  • jlwjlw
    As you all know I had that infected beer. It was in a primary and then I had transferred to a bottling bucket before confirming it was indeed infected. What this means is two of my four vessels are potentially down.

The two remaining are filled with beer. One of which is a hefe that needs bottled today. The bucket that the hefe is in is also a bottling bucket the problem is I have no other vessel to transfer the hefe to so i can clean the bottling bucket and then transfer back. (sorry if this is a little confusing)

So can I blast one of the infected buckets with say bleach water and use or should I just go buy another one?
  • C_BC_B
    ****I**** would...

Disassemble and clean well with OxiClean
    Then clean well with a strong bleach solution soaking the valve components in that bleach solution for a few minutes.
    Let dry completely and hit with StarSan or Iodophor.

But I know very little about infections.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    I would use a multiple approach as suggested above........ If your bucket has a valve.... that may well be where the infection is lurking... so after taking it apart and soaking it.... boil the parts for 15-minutes prior to reassembly...

The kicker with bleach..... a quick rinse don't cut it.... rinse the heck out of it, and if you can, leave it sit overnight, or at least for a few hours.
    After the bleach, oxiclean, whatever.... rinse, and while its sitting go to an old fashioned drug store and by a big bottle of real iodine.. (you will have to sign something) mix it 2-ounces per gallon of cold water, and use that for your final step before use.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh, and the final step... Put the bottles somewhere that won't cause a problem if they explode. No reason risk exploding infected beer all over your wife's house.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

Oh, and the final step... Put the bottles somewhere that won't cause a problem if they explode. No reason risk exploding infected beer all over your wife's house.

That was sure an encouraging statement...........
  • ceanntceannt
    one thought..... don't use your autosiphon..... use plain tubing.... make a racking cane outta a water supply doo-hicky... the plastic ones.... and bottle straight from the fermenter
  • jlwjlw
    I'm going to the lhbs today. Thinking I am going buy a new siphon and get a fermenter without a spiggot.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

I'm going to the lhbs today. Thinking I am going buy a new siphon and get a fermenter without a spiggot.

prolly your best bet....
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Good call.
  • ceanntceannt
    and do yourself one more favor..... take the suspect containers/whatever out of the house.... trash... burn them.... whatever... just get the heck rid of 'em!
  • ceanntceannt
    for one... I am not a fan of spigots... they are a great place for nasties to hide out... and then there is the whole issue you ran into with the fermentation chamber full of beer... so you are on the right track getting a bucket without one....

I have never used an autosiphon.... I fill my tubing up with iodine solution and let it soak... I drain it, fill it with water.... stick one end into the beer, the other in a glass until beer comes out, then stick it in whatever vessel I want the beer in... crude, simple and effective (kinda like me)
  • jlwjlw
    In your siphon process above do you ever run into the issue where it stops siphoning? That's one thing that bothers me with the auto-siphon is sometimes it stops siphoning and I have to start pumping it again to get it going.
  • ceanntceannt
    Only if you allow the end in the beer to get above the surface
  • ceanntceannt
    My method does take a little practice ... and can be frustrating until you get it down .... I should do a video one of these days
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

My method does take a little practice ... and can be frustrating until you get it down .... I should do a video one of these days

i've done it. it's fairly easy.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Yes you should.

ceannt said:

i've done it. it's fairly easy.

Lies!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    if you have opposable thumbs, you can do it.
  • ceanntceannt

I think that's why he's surprised that you can do it ....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I may have said this on the other thread, but this is a sanitizer/cleaner I like to use:

2part-warm water
    0.5part -oxyclean
    1.5part vinegar.
    some K-meta

The oxyclean has sodium percarbinate in it which releases hydrogen peroxide in water. The acidic acid and the hydrogen peroxide make peracidic acid which is a great sanitizer.
    The K-meta doesn't seem to react in a bad way and adds some kill factor (bleach would be a bad idea with this mix). Iodine might work nicely in this, I just don't have any.

I also bake stuff in my oven. If you can get it up to a solid 250F everything will be dead (doesn't work so well with some plastics).
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I have no idea if the oxyclean and acidic acid are balanced right, but it's not that stable so you'll have extra acidic acid and H2O2 in solution no matter what.

Another though on sanitizing is to use sulfuric acid. Full strength it'll clean things up really well. I use it for cleaning here and there, it just requires some care in use.

Another trick is to use a NaOH water solution for a high pH shock after using an acidic sanitizer.

But to rap this up; cleaning is more important that fancy sanitizing. Chemical cleaning can be effective.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    *acetic acid.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I think that's why he's surprised that you can do it ....

robot, remember. i have four thumbs per hand.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and i'm opposed to all of them.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

*acetic acid.

yeah, that's what I said.... douche canoe.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Anybody want to delve into the bleach/vinegar cleaning solution? It's a pretty sure kill but the risk of chlorine gas if done wrong is a factor.
    Sign here______________________________
    And, they are plastic buckets. They scratch and harbor bacteria. My bottling buckets are drip irrigators for the garden and my ale pails are sitting in the corner, unlike my better bottles which are sitting on a shelf.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Anybody want to delve into the bleach/vinegar cleaning solution? It's a pretty sure kill but the risk of chlorine gas if done wrong is a factor.

It's not like mixing ammonia and bleach, but do it outside if you must. I suspect doing it in two steps is similarly effective and so much safer.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I've had CO2 break the siphon plenty of times. Its really annoying. That's why I switched to presurized transfers.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    You siphoned carbonated beer???????
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Lake, you're doing it wrong!
    -Some guy in Ohio
    If you ferment cool and transfer warm it will off gas...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

true, but you kind of have to go out of your way to have that problem.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

I've had CO2 break the siphon plenty of times. Its really annoying. That's why I switched to presurized transfers.

Have you racked that Belgian yet?

true, but you kind of have to go out of your way to have that problem.

This.
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Lake, you're doing it wrong!

No you dolts. I have a ferm chamber, I ferment in the low 70s upper 60s, then let the beer raise to the 80s to finish. I don't degas it. There is plenty of co2 in solution under those circumstances. Its happened to me several times. That's why I switched to pressurized transfers.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny