What the hell is this!?!?!?!
  • jlwjlw
    I have never seen this before. I checked gravity last weekend an it didn't look like this it looked normal.
  • jlwjlw
    looks like infection based on the pics here:
  • jlwjlw
    looks like infection based on pics posted here:

http://www.homebrewforums.net/discussion/536#Item_16

so if it is infected is it worth bottling? or just dump?
  • C_BC_B
    Ermagod! Ima say you have an infection. My knee jerk reaction is dump and burn. Dump the beer and burn the bucket. But I don't like sour anything. :-q
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Ermagod! Ima say you have an infection. My knee jerk reaction is dump and burn. Dump the beer and burn the bucket. But I don't like sour anything. :-q

yeah, i'm worried about what I should do with the auto siphon too. Will bleach fix everything?
  • ceanntceannt
    Is that your heffe?

First thing ... taste it
    If it tastes of vinegar .... the dump and burn mentioned above is called for

If it aint bad .... keg it and drink it fast
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    If its the heffe .......

Well ...

Lets just say some'at is a trying to tell you not to brew them ......

Call in an excorsist .....
  • ceanntceannt
    And lose the autosiphon .... they are more trouble than they're worth anyway
  • jlwjlw
    It's not a hefe. It's a ESB. I think it tasted ok. I hate keg it and then have to clean that too. So nuke option with water and bleach won't fix the bucket?
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_B said:

yeah, i'm worried about what I should do with the auto siphon too. Will bleach fix everything?

I'd set it on fire. But I don't know. I would think running bleach (dilute with water if you must...) would kill anything. But I don't know.
  • C_BC_B
    Tossing it is cheaper than ruining another batch.

Wait, wait... Do you rack from the kettle to the primary?
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Tossing it is cheaper than ruining another batch.

Wait, wait... Do you rack from the kettle to the primary?

Sometimes but I think I just dumped this one.
  • jlwjlw
    I think it smells like vinegar a little bit. Think I am just going to dump.
  • jlwjlw
    Dumped it. It wasn't worth my time to keg it and hope i like it enough to drink it. Time is money.
  • jlwjlw
    and I can brew more beer
  • ThymThym
    Hmmmm. I can't say I've seen bubbles form like that. Obviously something is floating on top that has more surface tension than you would normally expect.

You might try skimming a bit off and tasting it to see if it has any off flavor to it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

and I can brew more beer

This. Right here.
    Any idea where it came from? A little lax on sanitation or something? Kid drop his toys in it? Maybe the wife's "toy"?
  • ThymThym
    Lakewood said:

Hmmmm. I can't say I've seen bubbles form like that. Obviously something is floating on top that has more surface tension than you would normally expect.

You might try skimming a bit off and tasting it to see if it has any off flavor to it.

Looks like I should have hit post a while ago
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

jlw said:

and I can brew more beer

This. Right here.
    Any idea where it came from? A little lax on sanitation or something? Kid drop his toys in it? Maybe the wife's "toy"?

Eww.
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

jlw said:

and I can brew more beer

This. Right here.

I don't know. I'm careful with sanitation. Everything gets sanitized before an after use before it gets put away. I took a gravity sample and had to change lids but all that was sanitized. And the bucket never moved from the counter. Beats the hell out o me. I thought about kegging it but every time I walked into the kitchen icod smell that off smell of vinegar enough to just dump it all.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah....probably.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah....probably.

Remember, you are 3hrs ahead of me.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Is that your heffe?

First thing ... taste it
    If it tastes of vinegar .... the dump and burn mentioned above is called for

If it aint bad .... keg it and drink it fast

this.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    but to answer the original post, yup. that there be an infection. the nasty film with the bubbles is called a pellicle. it it tastes ok, drink it before the off flavors intensify. if not, dump right away. infections never get better with age.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    as far as the fermenter, take care of any beer stone/residue/deposits you can see or feel. then bleach, star san, and i like to do a no chill to complete the trifecta of salvaging an infected bucket.

after that, you should be just fine.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah....probably.

I was just kidding. Like I said I was goi to go ahead and keg but I couldn't get last te smell. Now I'm just hoping it isn't a recurring problem. I've had a bit of bad luck lately. Wife thinks its cause I'm multi tasking instead of just brewing.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah....probably.

I was just kidding. Like I said I was goi to go ahead and keg but I couldn't get last te smell. Now I'm just hoping it isn't a recurring problem. I've had a bit of bad luck lately. Wife thinks its cause I'm multi tasking instead of just brewing.

Yeah, for me, multi-tasking means not spending as much time thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing items.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Might wanna keep it in the bucket and let it go. Might be a good vinegar.
    Sign here______________________________

but to answer the original post, yup. that there be an infection. the nasty film with the bubbles is called a pellicle. it it tastes ok, drink it before the off flavors intensify. if not, dump right away. infections never get better with age.

Intentional infections almost always get better with age. Unintentional infections can get bad quick, or good. It's hard to judge.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Intentional infections almost always get better with age. Unintentional infections can get bad quick, or good. It's hard to judge.

if it's intentional, it's not an infection, it's an innoculation. accidents very rarely turn out tasty. and you really need at least some experience with wild bugs to see if that's a viable avenue to pursue.

if it's intentional, it's not an infection, it's an innoculation. accidents very rarely turn out tasty. and you really need at least some experience with wild bugs to see if that's a viable avenue to pursue.

Semantics, but yes.
  • ceanntceannt
    I still think you need to call in an Exorcist .....
  • jlwjlw
    I have two beers in process. If thes get messed up ill likely quit and go do something else.
  • ceanntceannt
    Don't quit!!!! You make really good beer ....
    Just try to narrow down what might be the cause .... and burn it
  • ceanntceannt
    My money is on your autosiphon ....
  • jlwjlw
    It's getting replaced but I really don't think that was it. I think I effed up when I changed the lid or took a sample. And I hadn't used the auto siphon that I can remember. Unless I whirlpooled and siphoned. I think I'm done whirl pooling and siphoning anyway. I'm not sure of the benefit anymore.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    don't replace it, just soak it in 10% bleach and or boil it for 10 min.(a big pressure cooker works even better)
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    well make sure it's clean first, take the whole thing apart if you can or soak in oxyclean (or hydrogen peroxide) mixed with distilled vinegar. One of my favored sanitizers as it'll do a fare bit of cleaning too, too bad it's not a no rinse (unless you're okay with vinegar in you're beer)
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If you really want to kill stuff add some K-metta to that mix for the trisania-blast effect.
    -Some guy in Ohio