Hefe brew night. Since I lost my last batch to industrial accident
  • jlwjlw
    I decided to re brew the hefe. The mash was a effing screw up from the get go. Somehow over shot the mash temp by a lot. So I added ice and cooled it down way below 150. After multiple boiling water additions and a pseudo step mash I finally got it up to around 152. Still 2 degrees below target. Bullshit.

Hope the rest goes better.
  • BenSBenS
    Good luck. Trying to make a hefe is always a bitch.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I decided to re brew the hefe. The mash was a effing screw up from the get go. Somehow over shot the mash temp by a lot. So I added ice and cooled it down way below 150. After multiple boiling water additions and a pseudo step mash I finally got it up to around 152. Still 2 degrees below target. Bullshit.

yep. been there a couple times. it's infuriating! but also a perfect opportunity for a little decoction.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    Trying to boil now.
  • BenSBenS

jlw said:

yep. been there a couple times. it's infuriating! but also a perfect opportunity for a little decoction.

I still prefer a big decoction.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • jlwjlw
    I decocted about 1 quart which wasn't enough cause it didn't raise the temp much. At least the mash was nice and this and easy to work with. :-?
  • jlwjlw
    BenS said:

jlw said:

I still prefer a big decoction.

That's what she said! =D>
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

It'll be an excellent beer.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    67% efficiency. really low for me but I guess I'll take it considering the problems.
  • BenSBenS
    jlw said:

67% efficiency. really low for me but I guess I'll take it considering the problems.

It will still be beer right?
  • jlwjlw
    BenS said:

jlw said:

It will still be beer right?

Yep. Which is why I don't really care a whole lot about the screw ups. Just venting a bit.
  • jlwjlw
    Brew day is over. Had to boil longer to hit the og. Ended up at 1.050. All nicely put away in a fermenter and in the ferm chamber which is set for 67 degrees.
  • jlwjlw
    I like to mute the esters put off by wlp 351.
  • C_BC_B
    So in the end... Yay beer!!!
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

So in the end... Yay beer!!!

This!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    This is why if I overshoot mash temps I stir a little and just ride it out.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

I think I am going to start doing this. I have done this a few times lately. Not sure why I am having so much trouble hit the temp?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I think I am going to start doing this. I have done this a few times lately. Not sure why I am having so much trouble hit the temp?

thermometer issue or misjudged volume?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

a little yes. a lot no. last time i did it i was shooting for 154, ended up with 163. oups.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

a little yes. a lot no. last time i did it i was shooting for 154, ended up with 163. oups.

Add half a gallon of room temp water and stir and you are back in the 50s, then say feckit. It's gonna be beer.
  • ceanntceannt
    Easier to adjust if you overshoot high ...
  • ceanntceannt
    Temp differential is greater
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I think I just over shot the temp badly. I thought it might be a thermometer issues but I checked it afterwards and it's spot on. Just chalked up to bad brewing. Then I added too much ice to cool down.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I think I just over shot the temp badly. I thought it might be a thermometer issues but I checked it afterwards and it's spot on. Just chalked up to bad brewing. Then I added too much ice to cool down.

The first time I used my MLT, actually the first all grain mash, I overshot the temp and added ice. Went from 165 to 130 something. Oups. Never used ice again.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

jlw said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

The first time I used my MLT, actually the first all grain mash, I overshot the temp and added ice. Went from 165 to 130 something. Oups. Never used ice again.

Ice really has no place in brewing. Unless you are making bud light ice. Then you suck and you have no place in brewing.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

jlw said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Ice really has no place in brewing. Unless you are making bud light ice. Then you suck and you have no place in brewing.

:((
  • morsmors
    If I use my cooler mash tun vs my direct fired mash I typically err on the side of undershooting.... and at the same time I always have a gallon or so of boiling water that I use to bring the temp up if necessary.
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • C_BC_B
    mors said:

If I use my cooler mash tun vs my direct fired mash I typically err on the side of undershooting.... and at the same time I always have a gallon or so of boiling water that I use to bring the temp up if necessary.

Interesting... I do exactly the opposite. I over shoot the strike temp by 5-8*. Dump in the MLT and put the lid on. Come back 10 minutes later. As long as the temp is 1-2* above strike temp I dough in. Stir stir stir and put the lid on. Come back after 5 minutes and check the temp. If anything, I'll be high and I can stir for a minute dropping the temp a degree or two. Rarely do I miss by more than a degree.