Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
  • C_BC_B
    While I'm bored and thinking about it I'm going to start this thread. I haven't plugged anything into hopville yet but here is where I'm coming from.

I like the tasting notes on this recipe. Link found HERE.
    malt & fermentables
    % LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
    66% 8 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
    8% 1 0 German Vienna 35 3 ~
    8% 1 0 Oats, Flaked 37 1 ~
    4% 0 8 Black Barley (Stout) 25 500 ~
    4% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine 33 2 ~
    4% 0 8 Pale Chocolate Malt 34 197 ~
    4% 0 8 American Crystal 120L 34 120 ~
    1% 0 2 Caramunich Malt 60 33 60 ~
    12 2
    Batch size: 5.0 gallons
    Original Gravity
    1.067 / 16.4° Plato
    (1.060 to 1.070)
    Final Gravity
    1.017 / 4.3° Plato
    (1.015 to 1.018)
    Color
    32° SRM / 62° EBC
    (Black)
    Mash Efficiency
    75%
    hops
    USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
    first wort 60+ mins 0.9 Chinook leaf 12.7
    Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
    Bitterness
    29.7 IBU / 11 HBU
    ƒ: Tinseth
    BU:GU
    It's nice and chocolaty, without being too sweet or dessert like. Just a nice easy drinkin stout that's not too dry or too sweet.
    Even the wife likes it.

Here is Jerry's take.
    So yeah, if you make 5 gal in a 5gal mash tun do this, if 10 gal and 10 gal do this twice
    .75 special B
    .5 choc malt
    .5 120L crystal
    .25 60L crystal
    .5 roasted barly
    1.25 rolled oats (don't buy them at the brew shop)
    then fill the rest with MO
    Oh and if you dry hop stuff, you can use your old trash hops for this, just for a few IBU's.
    If not go with Brewer's Gold, and not much.
    A lb of biscuit would be good in this too.

Somewhere between the two. Also, I'm doing a PM 10 gallon batch so 15-16 pounds of grain and fill the rest in with DME. I'll plug it into Hopville sometime and come up with a refined recipe.
    Thoughts?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    45% 10 0 Marris Otter (Crisp) Mash 4°
    27% 6 0 Briess DME Golden Light Late Boil 5°
    9% 2 0 Rolled Oats Mash 5°
    5% 1 0 Roasted Barley - 550L Mash 550°
    5% 1 0 Chocolate Wheat Malt Mash 400°
    5% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L Mash 120°
    3% 0 10 British Dextrin (Cara-Pils) Mash 12°
    2% 0 6 Caramunich Malt 60 Mash 60°
    Specific Gravity
    1.069 OG
    (1.062 to 1.072)
    16.8° Plato
    1.020 FG
    (1.018 to 1.022)
    5.1° Plato

Color
    39° SRM
    78° EBC
    Black

Mash Efficiency
    75 % Icon-settings

Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    boil 60 min 3 East Kent Goldings ~ pellet 5 » 31.3

Bitterness
    31.3 IBU
    ƒ: Tinseth Icon-settings
    15 HBU

Yeast
    White Labs British Ale (WLP005)

Alcohol
    6.5% ABV
    5% ABW
    Calories
    per 12 oz.

Too sweet? Too much Roasted? I feel like I'm making too much out of the grain bill.
    I'm thinking about doing half with S05 and half with WLP005 or WLP002. But I think 005 finishes just a tad drier.
    Thoughts?
  • C_BC_B
    I have done a couple PM and AG Oatmeal Stout kits using Nugget hops. I could/might use those instead of EKG... I don't know.
  • C_BC_B
    Well shucks. I just realized this recipe idea was born out of me wanting something to long age. Maybe to bourbon/oak it. Now I'm confused.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'd drop the roasted a bit (50%) and add some pale chocolate.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I have done a couple PM and AG Oatmeal Stout kits using Nugget hops. I could/might use those instead of EKG... I don't know.

i like nugget. i'd opt for that over the ekg, especially since it's only a bittering addition.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Too sweet? Too much Roasted? I feel like I'm making too much out of the grain bill.
    I'm thinking about doing half with S05 and half with WLP005 or WLP002. But I think 005 finishes just a tad drier.
    Thoughts?

any reason for the extract? unless you already have it on hand, it only makes the beer more complicated. i don't think the recipe will end up too sweet, given the yeast choice and gravity.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Thoughts?

any reason for the extract? unless you already have it on hand, it only makes the beer more complicated. i don't think the recipe will end up too sweet, given the yeast choice and gravity.

Already have it on hand. I need to check, but I have another 10-15 pounds left.
  • C_BC_B

Pale chocolate with the chocolate wheat? I don't know anything about choc wheat, but I figured I'd try it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ok, that makes sense. toss it in!
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

i like nugget. i'd opt for that over the ekg, especially since it's only a bittering addition.

Cool. I'll make some adjustments tomorrow.

• FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Pale chocolate with the chocolate wheat? I don't know anything about choc wheat, but I figured I'd try it.

yes.
  • C_BC_B
    On another note, what about oak or oak and bourbon? I think it's too much. Unless the chocolate is just a hint with a touch of oak and bourbon it could be gross/epic.
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Thoughts?

Already have it on hand. I need to check, but I have another 10-15 pounds left.

Plus, a full in 10 gallon all grain batch would mean I have to finish my 15 gallon MLT.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

On another note, what about oak or oak and bourbon? I think it's too much. Unless the chocolate is just a hint with a touch of oak and bourbon it could be gross/epic.

if you toned down the chocolate, it could be nice. dragons milk is barrel aged and it's nice, but there's just a trace of chocolate.
  • C_BC_B
    Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    47% 10 0 Marris Otter (Crisp) Mash 4°
    28% 6 0 Briess DME Golden Light Late Boil 5°
    9% 2 0 Rolled Oats Mash 5°
    5% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L Mash 120°
    3% 0 10 Chocolate Wheat Malt Mash 400°
    3% 0 10 British Dextrin (Cara-Pils) Mash 12°
    2% 0 8 Roasted Barley - 550L Mash 550°
    2% 0 6 Caramunich Malt 60 Mash 60°
    Specific Gravity
    1.067 OG
    (1.060 to 1.070)
    16.4° Plato
    1.019 FG
    (1.017 to 1.021)
    4.8° Plato
    Color
    29° SRM
    57° EBC
    Dark Brown to Black
    Mash Efficiency
    75 % Icon-settings

Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    Boil 60 min 1 Nugget ~ pellet 13 » 27.6
    Bitterness
    27.6 IBU

Yeast
    White Labs British Ale (WLP005)
    Alcohol
    6.4% ABV
    5% ABW
    Calories
    per 12 oz.

After a long primary I'll sample. If the chocolate is mild enough I may oak/bourbon half.
  • C_BC_B
    Here is the recipe on Hopville. It's a bit easier to read.
  • C_BC_B
    I want to drink this right now.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

After a long primary I'll sample. If the chocolate is mild enough I may oak/bourbon half.

with the bourbon oak in mind, you might want to sneak a little special b in there. maybe a 1/4 #, just sub it in for a 1/4# of the 120L.
  • C_BC_B
    I think this is going to be my next brew for sure. I'll try to do it while I can utilize the cold basement temps to age for a couple months before it gets too hot down there (usually May/June ish)
    I'm contemplating splitting the batch for two yeasts. I like WLP005 as I've used it before. I've also used WLP002 and this may be a good chance to compare the two, but does anyone else have a favorite Stout/Oatmeal stout yeast?
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

I think this is going to be my next brew for sure. I'll try to do it while I can utilize the cold basement temps to age for a couple months before it gets too hot down there (usually May/June ish)
    I'm contemplating splitting the batch for two yeasts. I like WLP005 as I've used it before. I've also used WLP002 and this may be a good chance to compare the two, but does anyone else have a favorite Stout/Oatmeal stout yeast?

i've used WLP005 with great success.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    I like 005. I think 002 leaves it a dash too sweet? But that may have been a difference in the beers I used those yeasts in. This may just be a prime candidate for this experiment.
    So how important are yeast starters for liquid yeast? If I do a start for this ill have to plan it way ahead and build them at separate times since I only have one stirplate.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

I like 005. I think 002 leaves it a dash too sweet? But that may have been a difference in the beers I used those yeasts in. This may just be a prime candidate for this experiment.
    So how important are yeast starters for liquid yeast? If I do a start for this ill have to plan it way ahead and build them at separate times since I only have one stirplate.

005 should finish dryer. i've never done a starter for a liquid yeast. i pitch one vial per 5gal finished wort. If I'm pitching washed yeast, sometimes I'll pitch 3 vials into 10 gal.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I try to do a starter for every batch, but there are some days I brew on a whim, and don't have a starter ready. I am sure it's fine to just empty a vial into the fermenter and it will do what it needs to do! However, I like to do these pseudo-starter things where ill basically make a quick starter, but only let it go for a few hours, which if nothing else, wakes the yeast up and will give them a jump start before hitting the prized wort. Just a thought. I know some like to start brewing early in the morning, so it may not be ideal.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I try to do a starter for every batch, but there are some days I brew on a whim, and don't have a starter ready. I am sure it's fine to just empty a vial into the fermenter and it will do what it needs to do! However, I like to do these pseudo-starter things where ill basically make a quick starter, but only let it go for a few hours, which if nothing else, wakes the yeast up and will give them a jump start before hitting the prized wort. Just a thought. I know some like to start brewing early in the morning, so it may not be ideal.

I agree with this approach. Its basically what you're doing with one of those "activator" packs. And there's never any harm with getting the yeast fired up and ready.
  • C_BC_B
    Here's the recipe on HopVille for easier perusing. Hopville is showing an estimated FG of 1.019 with 005. That seems a lot higher than I think it should be. Is that just hopville getting it wrong or should I drop the crystal and caramunich a little?
  • ThymThym
    pretty sure hopville is just wrong on that one.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I thought so too. But after I saw that I was like, "that's wrong." "Crap, what if it's not." "I'm sure it's wrong." "But if it isn't, I'm going to have another stupid high FG."

Then I freaked out and posted.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

I thought so too. But after I saw that I was like, "that's wrong." "Crap, what if it's not." "I'm sure it's wrong." "But if it isn't, I'm going to have another stupid high FG."

Then I freaked out and posted.

hopville/beer calculus is pretty good with srm, ibu's, and starting gravities. they're always, always wrong about the finishing gravity. their program doesn't take into account mash temps or times.
  • C_BC_B
    I think this one is next up. In like three weeks when I have time/good weather. As I read back over the thread, I think I'm going to do one bucket with 002 and one with 005. Probably an over pitch in each one, but I'm going to try really hard to keep the ferm temp towards the bottom end.
  • C_BC_B
    @urrybody

I have a bit of an emergency. And by emergency I mean its not really an emergency.

Turns out I didn't pick up the crystal 60 for this beer. I'm going to blame it on the moron at the LHBS that put the order together, but I looked at it and the recipe before checking out...

Here's the grain bill I settled on...

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ
    47% 10 ~ Marris Otter (Crisp)
    28% 6 ~ Briess DME Golden Light
    9% 2 ~ Rolled Oats
    4% ~ 12 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120
    3% ~ 10 British Dextrin (Cara-Pils)
    3% ~ 10 Chocolate Wheat Malt
    2% ~ 8 Roasted Barley - 550L
    2% ~ 6 Caramunich Malt 60
    1% ~ 4 Special B Malt

I have 12oz of Victory and 6oz of Crystal 20 in the freezer.

What should I change to make up for this? Or should I just wait till I can get to the LHBS?

• C_BC_B
    Oh and I already dumped everything else in one bucket to condition it per Scoob's method. So cutting anything else isn't going to happen.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    toss the c20 in the oven/toaster oven for about 15 minutes @250F. it'll be delicious.
  • C_BC_B

toss the c20 in the oven/toaster oven for about 15 minutes @250F. it'll be delicious.

I have an oven oven. Like convection. That work?
  • C_BC_B
    Oh, and I only have 4oz of the 20. That might have been handy info.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I have an oven oven. Like convection. That work?

yep.
  • C_BC_B
    Brewed this guy on Sunday.

Mashed at 151F
    Ran about 7 gallons off the mash at 11.9 brix.
    Added 5 gallons of water and 6.5lbs of DME and ended up the boil at 11 gallons of 14.4 brix.
    Dropped WLP005 in one bucket and WLP002 in the other.
    Hopville says I got a 67% efficiency, but I haven't checked that math yet. I'm ok with 67% given that was the maiden voyage on the new mill. Rather uneventful brewday in fact. I guess that one I used too many hops. Stupid hops...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Stupid hops...

seconded.
  • C_BC_B
    Both buckets are sitting at 62*. Airlocks have stopped chattering. It's on the cold side, but I'm ok with it. I'll roust the buckets a bit tomorrow.
  • C_BC_B
    mmk. Transferred to kegs. The 002 bucket finished at 1.014 while the 005 finished at 1.008.
    Warm and flat the 002 tasted good. Good mouthfeel, a pleasant sweetness that wasn't overly so and just a dab of roasty? background. Not sure how to describe that last one...
    The 005 was whatever. Nothing seemed to pop. It just tasted warm and flat. Almost like nothing.
    I don't remember which one I transferred out of the first but the 002 bucket had considerably less trub in it. I doubt that was yeast related, but I found it odd.
  • C_BC_B
    And yeah that puts the 005 at an apparent attenuation of 86%. Now that I'm thinking about it the FG isn't temperature adjusted. That might be a tad higher, maybe 2 points max. Either way, under the same *rough* conditions the 005 went 6 points farther than the 002.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm drinking a pint of the chocolate oatmeal stout 002 variant. It's good... But it's missing something. For one thing, the 002 left is just a tad too sweet. Not by much, just enough to notice. It seems a bit thin also. There again not by much, just enough to notice. Overall, it's pretty good though. We'll see what's it's like with a bit more carbonation.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

I'm drinking a pint of the chocolate oatmeal stout 002 variant. It's good... But it's missing something. For one thing, the 002 left is just a tad too sweet. Not by much, just enough to notice. It seems a bit thin also. There again not by much, just enough to notice. Overall, it's pretty good though. We'll see what's it's like with a bit more carbonation.

thin and sweet? weird. if it were thin and a little too dry you could add some lactose/maltodextrin.

thin and sweet might be lessened if you overcarb just a tad.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

thin and sweet? weird. if it were thin and a little too dry you could add some lactose/maltodextrin.

thin and sweet might be lessened if you overcarb just a tad.

This might be just the deal. It isn't fully carbed yet and that might just do the trick.
  • C_BC_B
    Wow. I have the 002 version on tap now. Epic good. More like a milk stout from the sweetness. Not too sweet, just right. Nom nom nom....
  • ceanntceannt
    OK .... I tried one of these last night.
    actually very well balanced, very clean. I was expecting a lot more roasted character, and was surprised at how smooth it is. Drinks almost like a black lager. This is an awesome summer beer, very refreshing. A well conceived and executed brew.
    fine job CB ... fine job
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    CS or COS?
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

CS or COS?

Oh.... CS... wrong thread?
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

C_B said:

CS or COS?

Oh.... CS... wrong thread?

hehe. Yeah. The CS is an AHS kit from a while back. Over a year I think. COS is this one and you got the WLP002 version.
  • ceanntceannt
    Well ..... whatever I got ... it was good ;)
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Well ..... whatever I got ... it was good ;)

You did get a bottle of this too....
    I'm pretty sure. Maybe one of each? I thought at least one of each. I don't know.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm drinking the 005 version now. It's good. I'm getting a bit more roastiness coming out. In a good way but if it was much more it would be borderline too much. I actually think I preferred the 002 in this particular beer. Next time I might up the chocolate wheat a bit, but otherwise a fine beer.