First or second runnings to re-hydrate dry yeast?
  • jlwjlw
    I have always used water to re-hydrate, probably because those were the instructions when I brewed my first batch. I was thinking about using first or second runnings to re-hydrate plus get the yeasties happy and ready to ferment.

I guess my question(s)

1. Is this a good idea?
    2. Would you use first or send runnings?
    3. Have I waited to late to re-hydrate by the time I'm draining the mash tun?
  • ceanntceannt
    I have read a whole lot of conflicting information regarding this issue ... some say you are better off not rehydrating at all ... I start to rehydrate close to the end of the boil ... give it about 20 minutes in warm water ... I wouldn't use straight wort ... I used to add in a bit of wort to the water ... but somebody told me it was a bad idea, and that it "shocked" the yeast before it was ready to start munching sugars .... so I just use warm water ... if you started earlier, maybe a little wort added in, say after a half hour, would act like a mini starter ... but I would keep the gravity low
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah, I was wondering about the potential shock factor. I'm not worried for this ESB since it is low gravity but for larger beers wondered if it would help. Seems like it isn't worth the risk for any minimal advantage you may gain from using wort to re-hydrate.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Something about osmotic pressure something another. Rehydrate with water. Some say that the recommended temperature is way too high. I'm not sure. You can add some wort to the fully rehydrated yeast to proof it if you like.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt

Something about osmotic pressure something another. Rehydrate with water. Some say that the recommended temperature is way too high. I'm not sure. You can add some wort to the fully rehydrated yeast to proof it if you like.

That's it! Osmotic pressure!
  • ceanntceannt
    I always rehydrate at 80 degrees ... 100 just don't seem right to me .... started doing it at 80 back in the old days and it worked ... so I kept it at that even after the "big boys " started talking higher
  • ThymThym
    I just sprinkle the packet on top of the wort in the fermenter. It'll rehydrate just fine. I believe that is the recommended practice on Safale packets.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Well all this was for naught. I totally forgot to rehydrate so I pitched it on top the wort.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Well all this was for naught. I totally forgot to rehydrate so I pitched it on top the wort.

My advice won!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

My advice won!

Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    ceannt said:

I always rehydrate at 80 degrees ... 100 just don't seem right to me .... started doing it at 80 back in the old days and it worked ... so I kept it at that even after the "big boys " started talking higher

LHBS guy told me that S-05 goes apricot when rehydrated too hot, as in the temperature they recommend. Jerks.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    Pretty clean at 80.....
  • ceanntceannt
    It may be just my imagination .... but ...
    fermentations seem to take off faster if you rehydrate .... especially for bigger beers ... may be the osmotic deal???
    Less than 1.045 or so ... I don't think it makes any difference at all
  • jlwjlw
    I've always read that rehydration will help it take off faster. So many factors is this though that its hard to say. I have done it both ways with good results.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    This is funny. All the ways work almost the same so it's really hard to say which is best. If I'm looking for a thing to fiddle with I rehydrate, but if not it works just as well as dumping it in the carboy. The osmosis thing doesn't make enough difference to make direct pitching a problem.
    Proofing your yeast is good for peace of mind; hydrate in warm water, give it a few spoon fulls of wart and see if it gets fizzy.
    Making a starter has value too, but we're not talking about increasing cell count here, that takes a bit longer.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio