Gelatin in Belgian wit
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Do you use gelatin in Belgian wit? Will that make it clear, when you want the haze as is normal for this style? Will the flavor change?
  • ThymThym
    i do not use gelatin in any of my beers. but i definitely wouldn't use a clarifying agent in a wit. the yeast character is a highlight of a wit, so i recommend swirling the bottle to bring up any sediment before drinking/pouring wits.

as for the flavor, you will lose the flavors that are associated with the suspended yeast, so yes it will be different.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    What Lake said. However.... The flavor change is subject to your palate. Lake has an insanely evolved palate. I would notice the hazy/color change before a flavor change.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    That said, I (personally here) would not use gelatine in anything short of a lager I was trying to show off. And definitely not in a wit.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

That said, I (personally here) would not use gelatine in anything short of a lager I was trying to show off. And definitely not in a wit.

honestly, i wouldn't use gelatin in a lager destined for a comp myself, i might finally spring for a filter in that situation though.

and thanks for the palate comment, though i'm not sure it all that evolved. i did enjoy a lemon berry shandy a few days ago..
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

honestly, i wouldn't use gelatin in a lager destined for a comp myself, i might finally spring for a filter in that situation though.

and thanks for the palate comment, though i'm not sure it all that evolved. i did enjoy a lemon berry shandy a few days ago..

man card: revoked!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and i wouldn't use gelatin in a wit. i love the flavor that wit yeast adds. i always leave a 1/2" of beer in the bottle so i can swirl it around and pour the yeast into the glass.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob
    I agree with the above replies about not using gelatin in a wit, the yeast is a main player in the flavor of a wit (unless you are talking shock top, in that case I think childrens chewable aspirin is the main flavor there)

For beers needing to be clear I run em through a filter to clarify if its going into a comp.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    clarifying a wit would be like aging a big hoppy IPA for a year. Some people do it, but it's kind of dumb.

I have used gelatin before and it works great. Now i just wait a week after kegging and it's crystal clear. You lose a tiny bit of body, but you lose that with a filter too.