Oculus Sinister - Belgian Dubbel
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Think I am going to try this as my next brew (when I get the chance).

My plan will be to try out a Turbid mash for the first time.

35% --- Pilsen
    35% --- Belgian Pale Malt
    12% --- White Wheat
    7% --- Biscuit Malt
    5% --- Crystal 120L
    5% --- Dark Candi Sugar (15 min)
    2.5% --- Torrified wheat

0.5 oz Northern Brewer (9.4%aa) FHW
    0.5 oz Northern Brewer (9.4%aa) 30 min

Yeast --- WLP550

(will start ferm temp at 67 degrees and increase to 72 over first four days).

Was also considering using yeast taken from a bottle of SN Ovila.
    Now that I think about, I also have some PranQster dregs. Ugh, now I am going to be going back and forth on yeast. I could split it up I guess.

Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    I just had my first PranQster. Not sure I (personal opinion here) would want that yeast profile. A bit too much orange I think? Now, changing up the grain/hops bill could compensate for that....

I am interested to know that PranQster has yeast in the bottle though...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

I just had my first PranQster. Not sure I (personal opinion here) would want that yeast profile. A bit too much orange I think? Now, changing up the grain/hops bill could compensate for that....

I am interested to know that PranQster has yeast in the bottle though...

To clarify, the orange I mean is citrus. The aftertaste is like a children's chewable for me.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Pranqster does have a yeast sediment. I read somewhere they actually use two different yeasts, and they use the same yeast at bottling.
    Looking through my bottle dregs I also have some Allagash White dregs.
    Have you ever used WLP550? I am looking for a belgian strain that has a spicy (or peppery) character to it. I guess I am trying stay away from a more fruity character.

Any suggestions from anyone on belgian strains they've tried would be much appreciated. I've got a good saison yeast...
    Hmmm, saison yeast in a dubbel?
  • ThymThym
    first off, let me say, this has got to be in my top 10 for beer names. i would buy this by the truck load just based on the name.

anyway, my experience with the WL belgian strains has been limited to the WLP500 primarily. The 550 claims to be a more spicy/peppery cousin to the 500 which tends to be fruity.

I like the idea of the 550 in this beer.

You didn't state you target OG / FG for this brew.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

Pranqster does have a yeast sediment. I read somewhere they actually use two different yeasts, and they use the same yeast at bottling.
    Have you ever used WLP550? I am looking for a belgian strain that has a spicy (or peppery) character to it. I guess I am trying stay away from a more fruity character.

Any suggestions from anyone on belgian strains they've tried would be much appreciated. I've got a good saison yeast...

I have not tried either of the White Labs Belgian strains.

However, I prefer fruity to spicy/peppery. So there's that.

I'll defer to Lake on the Belgian topic.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Oculus sinister is the medical term for the left eye. I read it one day and immediately thought it had to be a beer name.

I knew I forgot something...

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

Haven't actually done the math for the IBUs yet, but am shooting for a BU:GU ratio of 0.3
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Oculus sinister is the medical term for the left eye. I read it one day and immediately thought it had to be a beer name.

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

Haven't actually done the math for the IBUs yet, but am shooting for a BU:GU ratio of 0.3

yeah, i think 550 would work really well in this. really well. and the name fits.

where's my truck load?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

yeah, i think 550 would work really well in this. really well. and the name fits.

where's my truck load?

I need to brew it first! Also, "truck load" will have a loose interpretation.
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

but am shooting for a BU:GU ratio of 0.3

I think you and I could hang out.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

T-58.
    http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBT58.pdf

nice and peppery.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    I second the "peppery" yeast ...
    I would think about switching the biscuit to aromatic malt .... and bumping up the sugar to 10 or 12%
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Some suggestions ....
    Mash low for attenuation ...
    Pick up one of the "big" bottles of Chimey Red ....
    It is the most recognized version of the style ... and will let you know what you are shooting for .... also, you can culture the yeast
  • ceanntceannt
    BTW .... I freaking love the name you came up with for this!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ignore the old man. i like a little body in a dubbel.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.
  • ceanntceannt

Ha! So do I ... but I am a firm believer that the first time you brew a new style to do it as traditionally and as close to "on style" as you can .... so you understand it .... then tweak it to taste on subsequent batches
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

That would be oculus nigrum
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

Ha! So do I ... but I am a firm believer that the first time you brew a new style to do it as traditionally and as close to "on style" as you can .... so you understand it .... then tweak it to taste on subsequent batches

In the spirit of traditionalism I am planning a Turbid mash, which was used until 1885, while Belgian breweries were taxed based on the size of their mash tun. The result was brewers keeping very small tuns and using the very very very very very thick turbid mash.
    Turbid mashes are still practiced among some Lambic brewers, as the turbid mash provides the wort with some proteins and longer polysaccharide chains for the wild yeast and bacteria to chew on.

Ditto

ceannt said:

At some point I will have to design a recipe as this one's "evil twin" and name it Oculus dexter.

• Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

Hahaha, thats what I was thinking. I shouldn't have a problem filling that truck.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

Hahaha, thats what I was thinking. I shouldn't have a problem filling that truck.

yeah, i remember you are into the small batches. How big is your fermenter again? 11oz?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

yeah, i remember you are into the small batches. How big is your fermenter again? 11oz?

I have actually been able to move up in the world. Growlette - 32 ounces, woot woot!!!!
  • ceanntceannt
    I love that you are doing a Turbid mash on this... only suggesting you keep the temp down in the 149 or so range
  • ceanntceannt
    can't wait to see what you come up with for the "right eye" version.....
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

I love that you are doing a Turbid mash on this... only suggesting you keep the temp down in the 149 or so range

Being the first time trying a turbid mash, I am sure my temps will be swinging wildly somewhere between 190 and 55. I am going to TRY and hold my sacch. rest at 149-150.
  • ceanntceannt
    Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

Being the first time trying a turbid mash, I am sure my temps will be swinging wildly somewhere between 190 and 55. I am going to TRY and hold my sacch. rest at 149-150.

that
    is
    funny
  • ceanntceannt
    just remember to stir the shucks out of....

Oh... and stir it a lot too
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt said:

just remember to stir the shucks out of it....

Oh... and stir it a lot too

• ceanntceannt
    thought I would mention that twice.....
  • ceanntceannt
    I would really like to know what this style was like originally.... it is the only one of the "Trappist" styles that existed prior to WWII... and goes way, way back....
    there was a lot of Scottish influence in brewing in Belgium in those days, and I'll bet it bore little resemblance to the modern version... probably had a great deal more body, and I would almost bet that it didn't depend on added sugars at all....

but all I need is another research project.......... so I'll leave it to others
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

I would really like to know what this style was like originally.... it is the only one of the "Trappist" styles that existed prior to WWII... and goes way, way back....
    there was a lot of Scottish influence in brewing in Belgium in those days, and I'll bet it bore little resemblance to the modern version... probably had a great deal more body, and I would almost bet that it didn't depend on added sugars at all....

but all I need is another research project.......... so I'll leave it to others

I am pretty interested in this as well. Since reading Brew Like a Monk I have been pretty obsessed with belgian beer, but more specifically, Beglian brewing. In the spirit of "brewing like a monk" I am going to try and make my own candi sugar. My next read will be Farmhouse ales, and then Wild Brews to round out that series.
    I am really interested in all the tradition of belgian brewing... it helps that I like the beer too.

and stir often...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

what did you just call me? [-X
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!
    that would be "black eye " as appropriate for a stout .....
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

One could just do an entire "eye" themed brewery. Oculus Brewery Works, and name every beer Oculus ______
  • ceanntceannt
    Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

One could just do an entire "eye" themed brewery. Oculus Brewery Works, and name every beer Oculus ______

There you go! Do it ....
    you might want to consider going with bigger equipment first though .......
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

There you go! Do it ....

Haha. I am going to stick with my small batches for now. I need more practice. Maybe one day. For now I am perfectly happy doing this.
    On a semi-related note, Saturday will be my first day at my new job, at my LHBS! So now I can get lots of practice.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

that would be quite the spectacle.
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

haha!
  • C_BC_B

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

:-w
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

:-w

had to.
  • ceanntceannt
    "Puns are the devil"... fz
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

There you go! Do it ....

Haha. I am going to stick with my small batches for now. I need more practice. Maybe one day. For now I am perfectly happy doing this.
    On a semi-related note, Saturday will be my first day at my new job, at my LHBS! So now I can get lots of practice.

congrats on the new job
  • ThymThym
    if you can set up a drill motor with a motar mixer you could continuously mix this mash
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

There you go! Do it ....

congrats on the new job

Yeah, about that... Pretty much right after I typed that I got a call saying things might not work out for financial reasons. Also my last day at my current job is this Friday. It looks like I'll have a lot of free time on my hands in the very near future.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

if you can set up a drill motor with a motar mixer you could continuously mix this mash

That's a really good idea! I might try to rig something up. I'm worried about large drops in temperature with continuous stirring though. Is this a concern with the cooler mash tuns?
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

Evan_B said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

Ha!

There you go! Do it ....

congrats on the new job

Yeah, about that... Pretty much right after I typed that I got a call saying things might not work out for financial reasons. Also my last day at my current job is this Friday. It looks like I'll have a lot of free time on my hands in the very near future.

oh.. duece... sorry to hear that. i mean, free time rocks, but ...
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

That's a really good idea! I might try to rig something up. I'm worried about large drops in temperature with continuous stirring though. Is this a concern with the cooler mash tuns?

seal it up tight. run the mortar mixer shaft through a hole in the top of the cooler. and mount the drill motor to the top. heat loss shouldn't be bad.
  • ThymThym
    if the lid is off the heat loss would be atrocious.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

seal it up tight. run the mortar mixer shaft through a hole in the top of the cooler. and mount the drill motor to the top. heat loss shouldn't be bad.

Oh nice. That's a good point. This could come in handy too cause I want to try the turbid mash with other styles, specifically lower gravity beers increase body and complexity. I came up with a recipe for a session CDA I was hoping to turbid mash as well. Thanks for the idea!
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Oh nice. That's a good point. This could come in handy too cause I want to try the turbid mash with other styles, specifically lower gravity beers increase body and complexity. I came up with a recipe for a session CDA I was hoping to turbid mash as well. Thanks for the idea!

i look forward to seeing how you set it up. i have been thinking about this for several year but never got around to actually building anything.
  • ThymThym
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Where did you find that?
  • ThymThym
  • ThymThym
    the one i have is round bar stock instead of the twisted flat stock. if they still carry the round bar version i would go that route. it's strong enough to withstand anything you could throw at it.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

the one i have is round bar stock instead of the twisted flat stock. if they still carry the round bar version i would go that route. it's strong enough to withstand anything you could throw at it.

$10?! Awesome, thanks for that. I'll be checking it out tomorrow probably.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

cool. build thread!
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

cool. build thread!

I've already got a bunch of ideas for this thing, but I am going to see if they are plausible before I go posting them, haha.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

cool. build thread!

I've already got a bunch of ideas for this thing, but I am going to see if they are plausible before I go posting them, haha.

no way. just post. crazy, impossible ideas are wayyy better than no ideas. plus the will usually lead to something plausible.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

cool. build thread!

no way. just post. crazy, impossible ideas are wayyy better than no ideas. plus the will usually lead to something plausible.

This.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Well if I'm doing a traditional turbid mash I need a stuykmanden, which is a colander like thing to help draw off the turbid wort. Of course I could just use a colander, but if I'm going to have the grout mixer in there as well I don't want to taking it out and putting it in a whole bunch.
    If I can find a round, flat colander thing (a pizza pan with a bunch of holes drilled in it is the first thing that came to mind) I could run the shaft of the mixer through the middle of the flat colander, keep the whole device in the tun, it would make things a little easier.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Well if I'm doing a traditional turbid mash I need a stuykmanden, which is a colander like thing to help draw off the turbid wort. Of course I could just use a colander, but if I'm going to have the grout mixer in there as well I don't want to taking it out and putting it in a whole bunch.
    If I can find a round, flat colander thing (a pizza pan with a bunch of holes drilled in it is the first thing that came to mind) I could run the shaft of the mixer through the middle of the flat colander, keep the whole device in the tun, it would make things a little easier.

hmm.. for that im thinking something more along the lines of the later versions where you use pipe to draw the turbid portion... like a large diameter copper pipe with large holes drilled down the sides and a piece of screening material inside the tube.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

hmm.. for that im thinking something more along the lines of the later versions where you use pipe to draw the turbid portion... like a large diameter copper pipe with large holes drilled down the sides and a piece of screening material inside the tube.

How large of a diameter copper pipe are you thinking?
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

How large of a diameter copper pipe are you thinking?

as large as you can reasonably afford, no smaller than 1" but preferably 2". much larger and it would be hard to stick in and move around. to want something you can stick in, draw what you can from the spot, then move it somewhere else. siphon out of the pipe with a small diameter hose.

just get a 2' length and a cap. then drill the shit out of it.
  • ThymThym
    at least that seems like the most straight forward and easiest solution. easy to build, easy to use, easy to clean.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I think I understand. Kind of like a single tiered copper manifold that I can plunge into the mash, seperating the wort from grain? That would be pretty cool, and I like making things out of copper now that I've done it once, haha. I'm going to spend some time wandering around the hardware store sometime soon looking for ideas. I don't know if I have seen that big of copper tubing, but then again, I wasn't really looking.

What I was thinking with the large, flat, round piece would essentially work like a false bottom, but on top the mash -- a false top? All I would do is press the false top into the mash allowing wort to collect on the top with any grain. I feel like my first explanation sucked.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I think I understand. Kind of like a single tiered copper manifold that I can plunge into the mash, seperating the wort from grain? That would be pretty cool, and I like making things out of copper now that I've done it once, haha. I'm going to spend some time wandering around the hardware store sometime soon looking for ideas. I don't know if I have seen that big of copper tubing, but then again, I wasn't really looking.

What I was thinking with the large, flat, round piece would essentially work like a false bottom, but on top the mash -- a false top? All I would do is press the false top into the mash allowing wort to collect on the top with any grain. I feel like my first explanation sucked.

no, your explanation worked, i'm just thinking that will be harder to operate effectively. it'll be a bit more complicated to make, and to use too. since you'll need some way to press down on a large plate, while keeping body parts out of the wort and the grain from migrating around the edges or through the center if you are leaving the mixer in place.
  • ThymThym
    as far as big copper, 1" is readily available, but i've even seen 4" copper tubing at home depot. it's crazy expensive though.
  • ThymThym
  • ThymThym
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

no, your explanation worked, i'm just thinking that will be harder to operate effectively. it'll be a bit more complicated to make, and to use too. since you'll need some way to press down on a large plate, while keeping body parts out of the wort and the grain from migrating around the edges or through the center if you are leaving the mixer in place.

Good point, haha.
    Lakewood said:

as far as big copper, 1" is readily available, but i've even seen 4" copper tubing at home depot. it's crazy expensive though.

Well I'm going to have lots of free time here soon, and get the feeling the peeps at home
    Depot are going to get to know me pretty well.
    4"? Holy crap. I could make an actual copper mash tun out of that.
  • ThymThym
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Good point, haha.
    Lakewood said:

Well I'm going to have lots of free time here soon, and get the feeling the peeps at home
    Depot are going to get to know me pretty well.
    4"? Holy crap. I could make an actual copper mash tun out of that.

the price goes nuts as you go over 3"
  • ThymThym
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

$13 per inch?! Not to mention the $14 dollars shipping.
    Seriously, $14 shipping for an inch of copper tube you just paid $13 for...
    That is absurd.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

$13 per inch?! Not to mention the $14 dollars shipping.
    Seriously, $14 shipping for an inch of copper tube you just paid $13 for...
    That is absurd.

yes. yes it is.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what about something like this? it would be way cheaper than copper.

• ceanntceannt
    The pencils and stuff might add some off flavors though .....
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    The mesh pencil cup is a good idea. I was also looking at a wider (but also shorter) paper clip cup made of the same mesh.

At the same time I am not completely ready to give up on the pan idea. What do you think about a cake pan with high side walls. Could drill a bunch of small holes into the bottom.

My thinking behind a pan vs the thiner copper/mesh tube is ease of drawing off the turbid wort. Maybe I should ask beforehand, is there any benefit of siphoning off the turbid mash instead of just scooping it up with a measuring cup/ ladle?

• ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

The mesh pencil cup is a good idea. I was also looking at a wider (but also shorter) paper clip cup made of the same mesh.

At the same time I am not completely ready to give up on the pan idea. What do you think about a cake pan with high side walls. Could drill a bunch of small holes into the bottom.

My thinking behind a pan vs the thiner copper/mesh tube is ease of drawing off the turbid wort. Maybe I should ask beforehand, is there any benefit of siphoning off the turbid mash instead of just scooping it up with a measuring cup/ ladle?

Siphoning lends itself to pumping in the future. Scooping is a manual process that will only last as long as you put up with it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

Maybe I should ask beforehand, is there any benefit of siphoning off the turbid mash instead of just scooping it up with a measuring cup/ ladle?

for your volumes, certainly not. for a ten gallon batch, siphon would be clear winner.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    In the spirit of expansion (one day) I guess the most sensible answer would be to concoct this from a siphoning standpoint. Thanks for the input fellas.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I am thinking this could work
    kitchen-craft-stainless-steel-conical-sieve-135cm-tagged-da3833-9000266-0-1341824574000.jpg
    520 x 377 - 10K
  • ceanntceannt
    Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

I am thinking this could work

sure would.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Stopped by the kitchen supply store on my way home from work looking for a sieve or something I could use as a stuykmanden, annnnnnnnd I found this!
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    perfect. looks like it would be really easy to clamp a siphon tube onto that handle too.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Stopped by the kitchen supply store on my way home from work looking for a sieve or something I could use as a stuykmanden, annnnnnnnd I found this!

that looks perfect!
  • C_BC_B

perfect. looks like it would be really easy to clamp a siphon tube onto that handle too.

Oh good call. I didn't think about clamping it on there.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Im really mad I won't be able to use any of this for at least two more weeks.
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

Yeah that's a bummer, that's a really nice fence.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    C_B said:

Evan_B said:

Ugh. I can't wait to see what character and complexity it adds to the beer. Wine barrel aged? No thanks, I'll take that fence aged dubbel!

• FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Evan_B said:

fix that deck rail!