How does this crush look?
  • C_BC_B
    Well?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    This was the first bit, then I adjusted out just a tad to get the first pic.
    IMAG0920.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 656K
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Looks fine, I think.
    Sign here______________________________
    I either see some uncrushed grains or just some supremely intact husks.
  • C_BC_B
    There is minimal uncrushed grains. I was afraid of going tighter.
    What mill are you using?
  • C_BC_B

What mill are you using?

This one. Although I attached a drill to it. Screw that hand crank noise.
    Bueller? Bueller?
  • ThymThym
    Second pic is stuck mash city. First pic looks ok. I assume you are using something like a corona mill, not a roller mill.

A roller mill crushes and won't chop up the grain like that second pic usually.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Second pic is stuck mash city. First pic looks ok. I assume you are using something like a corona mill, not a roller mill.

A roller mill crushes and won't chop up the grain like that second pic usually.

Correct. Corona. To go from the first pic to the second pic (or rather second to first...) I backed out the adjustment screw maybe an 1/8 turn. Maybe that far. I think I need to condition the grain with a half cup of water sprayed over it and let it sit for a few hours next time.
  • ThymThym
    Conditioning should help a little. Anything to make the husk more pliable. But I don't think you will get much better with the corona since its more of a cutting mill than a rolling style.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Conditioning should help a little. Anything to make the husk more pliable. But I don't think you will get much better with the corona since its more of a cutting mill than a rolling style.

Maybe I crush it a bit finer and toss in a bit of rice hulls with every batch. I'm ok with that.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

Maybe I crush it a bit finer and toss in a bit of rice hulls with every batch. I'm ok with that.

That's probably the best you can do.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'd take the crush in the first pic over the stuck sparge in training in the second pic. have you tried running it through the first setting twice? that might give you a more thorough crush without shredding the husks as much.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

i'd take the crush in the first pic over the stuck sparge in training in the second pic. have you tried running it through the first setting twice? that might give you a more thorough crush without shredding the husks as much.

I have not. I actually never thought of that. I suppose I just figured that if I ran it through twice it would get crushed up more. Not necessarily crushed the same but more consistently. Either way, this is the second batch I've ran through this mill so I'm definitely looking for ways to improve.
    The efficiency on this batch wasn't good. Before blaming the crush I'm going to rule out the stupid thick mash I had today. I'm sure that hurt a little.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

I have not. I actually never thought of that. I suppose I just figured that if I ran it through twice it would get crushed up more. Not necessarily crushed the same but more consistently. Either way, this is the second batch I've ran through this mill so I'm definitely looking for ways to improve.
    The efficiency on this batch wasn't good. Before blaming the crush I'm going to rule out the stupid thick mash I had today. I'm sure that hurt a little.

I've pulled some of my best efficiency with a thicker mash, less mash water means you can rinse with more... as long as everything gets properly wetted and temps are stable throughout.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    As to you're crush: looks good to me. If it's not getting stuck try it a hair finer (or mill twice). Use a feeler gage so you know how it's really set. Measure the gap on three spots on the mill as those things are not built like jet engines. As you brew more than I; you can test things. Take the gap down .001" every time till things start run too slow.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Also tell me said measurement as I recently picked up on of those at a flea market.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

As to you're crush: looks good to me. If it's not getting stuck try it a hair finer (or mill twice). Use a feeler gage so you know how it's really set. Measure the gap on three spots on the mill as those things are not built like jet engines. As you brew more than I; you can test things. Take the gap down .001" every time till things start run too slow.

can you measure the gap on these? i thought that part was enclosed.
  • C_BC_B
    The gap is open and could be measured. But the rotating plate is really sloppy. I'm not sure measuring is possible.
    Run some grain into the plates to preload then measure
  • C_BC_B

Good call.
  • ceanntceannt
    I have been debating on getting one of these... or just shooting the works for a roller mill.... I am going to keep an eye on this... your experience will help me make up my mind before its all over
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

This. Or if you have three sets of gages....

I've been using a meat grinder with a grain mill attachment. I swapped around some hardware so it has some slop and it works well. I also have a stone flower mill, but that's useless for brewing. Just picked up the corona style and haven't played with it yet.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

This. Or if you have three sets of gages....

I've been using a meat grinder with a grain mill attachment. I swapped around some hardware so it has some slop and it works well. I also have a stone flower mill, but that's useless for brewing. Just picked up the corona style and haven't played with it yet.

Meat grinder isn't far away from the corona. It's a great mill for the price, but takes a bit a finesse to get it where you want it.
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmmmm .... I have a very old hand crank meat grinder .... what do I need to do to convert?????????

It looks much like a corona mill ...
    ceannt said:

Hmmmmm .... I have a very old hand crank meat grinder .... what do I need to do to convert?????????

It looks much like a corona mill ...

Not much. You just need 2 burr plates instead of a blade and perf disc. Ain't happening.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh..... darn ....

Wait ... send me pics and I'll fabricate my own ....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If I can get my phone to post pics on here I'll try and do that tonight
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Here is my meat grinder.
    1372954232120.jpg
    1944 x 2592 - 2M
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    And corona.
    1372954435390.jpg
    1944 x 2592 - 2M
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Interesting .... ima have to take the old meat grinders apart and see if its possible to improvise something ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Might be cheaper in the long run to just order a barley crusher ......
  • ceanntceannt
    And a big thanks for the pics doc
  • C_BC_B
    I think the corona is 29.99 at Austin right now....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Interesting .... ima have to take the old meat grinders apart and see if its possible to improvise something ....

If it's a fixed plate grinder don't bother (i've tried, it only works if it's wet and not well even then). If the plate rotates then it's an option, not a good one, but it'll work (and you'll work more than you want too). Coronas turn up at flea markets (got mine for 5 bucks) and the going price on ebay is 17 bucks + S&H (they are hefty). I can't say if they are that good yet, but lots of people use them...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Roller mills don't seem like they are that hard to make. It'd be nice if I had a Bridgeport....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Roller mills don't seem like they are that hard to make.

fo reals.

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/74/thrifty-grain-mill-build#Item_4
  • ThymThym

Roller mills don't seem like they are that hard to make. It'd be nice if I had a Bridgeport....

You don't need a bridgeport to mill a couple of bushing blocks.
    I'd think a solid drill press, vise, and some careful measuring might do the job. Clamp and drill both end plates together to eliminate the need for extreme precision.
    I'm sure eccentric bearings are available through Grainger or McMaster-Carr or someone.
  • ceanntceannt
    Looked at my antiques ..... yeah ... the plates are stationary ..... dang it!
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Need, no, would be nice, yes.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

true... i suppose. i have a small milling machine in my garage. It takes up a lot of room. A Bridgeport would take up a lot more.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

true... i suppose. i have a small milling machine in my garage. It takes up a lot of room. A Bridgeport would take up a lot more.

he has enough room for raccoons to take up residence.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Well worth the space, at least for me. And useful for lots of woodworking too. What was this thread about?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

What was this thread about?

Beer.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    As I was making my coffee this morning I remembered that the standard electric coffee grinders they use in grocery stores are burr grinders, almost identical to a corona. but electric. I've taken them apart and they are quite adjustable.... I'm sure they cost more than a roller mill, but if you ever see a used one, bam.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    I used to have a telephone that looked just like that

• ceanntceannt
    AHS had the "DIY" malt mill on sale for 80 bucks.... 6" rollers... all you have to do is make a base and hopper...
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

AHS had the "DIY" malt mill on sale for 80 bucks.... 6" rollers... all you have to do is make a base and hopper...

That's pretty cheap for a roller mill.
  • ThymThym
    My bet is it's the JSP bare-bones kit. That's a good piece of hardware. Way better than trying to hack something together with a burr mill.
  • ceanntceannt
    That's what I was thinking .... and how hard can it be to make a base and hopper?
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

That's what I was thinking .... and how hard can it be to make a base and hopper?

Very easy. Depending on what you want to do it can be as simple as a piece of mdf with a slot cut out in it for the base, and the hopper can just be a bucket with a hole in the bottom.
  • ceanntceannt
    I was thinking some lumber core plywood and sheet metal ..... but that would work .... hhmmm ... don't know where my pop rivet gun is anyway ....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I was thinking some lumber core plywood and sheet metal ..... but that would work .... hhmmm ... don't know where my pop rivet gun is anyway ....

So many options. Really just depends on what is available/handy around your garage and what you are used to working with.
  • ThymThym
    Sheet metal would look a lot nicer than the bucket I use... But a bucket works just as well.
  • ceanntceannt
    yep... way I see it, don't have to be pretty...
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Words to live by. Lucky for you your wife agrees ;)
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Words to live by. Lucky for you your wife agrees ;)

:-w
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Looks nice for the price. I don't see how the gap is adjustable....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    maybe if you what the gap a little smaller you dip the sides plates in liquid nitrogen.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    adjustable gap isn't really all that necessary. it's helpful if you dont know what the gap SHOULD be... so at least you can tweak it until you find it.. but once you find a suitable gap, you typically just lock it down and run it forever... (until your 3yo turns the knob during your live brew cast)

i have an adjustable roller mill from JSP. i have a factory scribed line on the bushing block and the adjustment knob. i've adjusted it narrower and wider than that scribed setting line. i get the best efficiency if i just set it at that line ant leave it alone. i dont even bother with it anymore.
  • ThymThym
    i also have the gear driven option on mine. that i would recommend if you can afford to add it. it ensures that you are crushing the grain between the two moving rollers, instead of smearing across the face of one roller which is moving slower than the driven one.
  • C_BC_B
    Eh?
    IMAG0762.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 2M
  • C_BC_B
    Yeah?
    1450572307542-2063524336.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 2M
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Pretty good. You could probably go a little tighter, but don't bother if you're happy with your efficiency
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

Pretty good. You could probably go a little tighter, but don't bother if you're happy with your efficiency

This was the result of a double pass because I thought the first one was too tight so I backed it off. Conditioned grain creates substantially more stress on the drill than dry grain. I sort of like the conditioned two pass process. I might back the first pass out a bit and tighten up the second pass. Really, I need to toy around and then put some reference marks on the mill.