Crystal Lake Sunset - Crazy Ralph's Secret Amber Witbier Specialty
  • CZsCZs
    What can I say, I've been a brewing fiend. This brew was a little more planned than Thunderdome but I couldn't think of a name. A friend was talking to me about the Friday the 13th movies while I was drinking a pint of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. Supposedly there is going to be some sequels and Corey Feldman might be in them - WEIRD. Anyways, I was being klutzy all day and night even before I had a couple brews. I stabbed myself with an IVF needle, dropped a 2 liter on my big toe, and fell down the stairs. WTF!? I went on to trip in front of my friend, spilled my beer down my shirt in front of them and after hearing about my previous mishaps they said "You're Doomed. Dooooooomed." PERFECT idea for a name. If you watched those flicks you might know of Crazy Ralph and his famous line. I figured a guy in a town of Crystal Lake with nothing better to do but ride a bicycle and warn people probably makes his own sauce, hence the name. Oh yea, I wanted my brew to have that bubblegum flavor that I enjoy from Weihenstephaner and I wanted it slightly darker maybe in the vain of a Vos. The yeast and hops I chose are based on my research around that flavor and aroma. Any suggestions about how to get a nice bright bubble gum while still calling it a beer would be helpful and appreciated. Do these still use the fresh zest/peel and coriander in conjunction or should I lay off of that and let this yeast do its thing? Would under-pitching be appropriate here?

STATS:
    Original Gravity: 1.048
    Final Gravity: 1.012
    ABV (standard): 4.65%
    IBU (tinseth): 19.8
    SRM (morey): 9
    Wyeast - Belgian Wheat 3942
    Fermentation Temp: 70 F

FERMENTABLES:
    2.8 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (29.2%)
    1.4 lb - Belgian - Cara 45L (14.6%)
    3.25 lb - Belgian - Unmalted Wheat (33.9%)
    1 lb - American - White Wheat (10.4%)
    1 lb - American - Red Wheat (10.4%)
    2 oz - Flaked Oats (1.3%)
    0.25 oz - Turbinado (0.2%) - 36 min boil

HOPS:
    1 oz - Mosaic for 6 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 11.59)
    1 oz - French Strisselspalt for 16 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4, IBU: 8.21)

MASH STEPS:
    1) Temperature, Temp: 125 F, Time: 25 min
    2) Temperature, Temp: 135 F, Time: 25 min
    3) Sparge, Temp: 150 F, Time: 75 min
    40 Fly Sparge 170F, Batch Sparge
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the bubblegum/fruityness is dependent on the strain.

underpitching-yes.

and i went to a wedding in crystal lake, il. the marriage was dooooomed! ended in 8 months.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • CZsCZs
    Was Kevin Bacon in attendance? "Doooooomed. You're aaalll dooooooomed."

The 3942 is supposed to be known for it so here goes nuttin'!
  • jlwjlw
    Watch your fermentation temps for these beers they are very yeast forward so depending on how much bubblegum you'll either ferment low for less or warmer for more.

I like mine a little less in your face so I ferment in the 67-70 range. If you want more go 70 to 73 range.

Bye, I like the idea and the story behind.
  • CZsCZs
    I figured I'd go with 70 and see where it takes me - I feel like even if I get a Hoegarden-level bubble gum which is slightly less prevalent than in a Weihenstephaner IMO I'll be happy with that. What is your preference jlw with citrus / spice for these?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

I figured I'd go with 70 and see where it takes me - I feel like even if I get a Hoegarden-level bubble gum which is slightly less prevalent than in a Weihenstephaner IMO I'll be happy with that. What is your preference jlw with citrus / spice for these?

i like em in a wit. how much were you planning on adding? i tend to like the citrus rind in most witbiers, but i prefer the corainder/other spices toned down. otherwise they tend to take over. that's my personal taste though.
  • ThymThym
    Snow Storm is my example of how I use corriander and orange peel in a wit. Since this is a smaller beer and half the batch size you can cut the additions down to 1/4 of what I have in my recipe.

It will be pretty forward but not overpowering.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

FWIW, Weihenstephaner is one of my favorite weizens. Like FZ, I like keeping the spice muted. I want to know its there but it not overpower me. I make two traditional German Weissbier's one with WLP 351 and the other with WLP 300. 351 gives me clove and 300 banana esters. I like both but the clove I like a little more and like the spices I want to know its there but not over power me.

My preference on these beers is to keep it clean and let the yeast shine. If I was going to add the citrus and spice I would probably keep it light so you get the yeast really coming through but there is enough citrus/coriander to be the undertone.
  • CZsCZs
    Thanks for the insight - now that I've come back to this while waiting for sach time to finish up on the brown, I'm thinking 1/3 oz Coriander and 1/3 oz valencia peel at <5 min, possibly 0 - thoughts? I know a lot of people seek the Curacao but I'd like to try something different - thought it would give it the undertone to the bubblegum yeast
  • CZsCZs
    i guess I want those two aspects, but want the bubble gum more so - I still want to say I got that profile from the classic flavors, but, just as a backup to the bubblegum - I'm afraid of boiling them for too long because the flavor will get lost
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

Thanks for the insight - now that I've come back to this while waiting for sach time to finish up on the brown, I'm thinking 1/3 oz Coriander and 1/3 oz valencia peel at <5 min, possibly 0 - thoughts? I know a lot of people seek the Curacao but I'd like to try something different - thought it would give it the undertone to the bubblegum yeast </p>

CZs said:

i guess I want those two aspects, but want the bubble gum more so - I still want to say I got that profile from the classic flavors, but, just as a backup to the bubblegum - I'm afraid of boiling them for too long because the flavor will get lost

Timing sounds right for these flavors.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

i'd still go for a 15 minute addition and a flamout addition as per lake's snowstorm wit recipe, just scale them back accordingly. maybe 1.5 grams at 15 and the same at flameout for both the coriander (or whatever spice you prefer) and the citrus zest.

i find tangerines to give a better flavor than actual oranges in a wit.
  • CZsCZs
    i just looked that over - sounds good to me
  • CZsCZs
    Waiting for my 2nd rest water to heat up on this - drinking my Grisette as we speak. It's lime citrus, kinda rye, kinda black pepper with a nice crisp bite at the end and extremely easy going down - a nice summer session - exactly what I needed today. Only 2 weeks carboy, 3 weeks bottled and its beautifully carbed already - a slight fizz as you drink - Saturdays don't get much better than this

20130622_120710.jpg
    368 x 490 - 56K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    vury nice. and sounds just about perfect for the season.
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

Waiting for my 2nd rest water to heat up on this - drinking my Grisette as we speak. It's lime citrus, kinda rye, kinda black pepper with a nice crisp bite at the end and extremely easy going down - a nice summer session - exactly what I needed today. Only 2 weeks carboy, 3 weeks bottled and its beautifully carbed already - a slight fizz as you drink - Saturdays don't get much better than this

i might have to make one of these sounds tasty. Do you have the recipe on here?
  • CZsCZs
    jlw said:

CZs said:

i might have to make one of these sounds tasty. Do you have the recipe on here?

yup, check out/search Ocean Front Grisette. The BU/GU is what sticks out to me in comparison to the amount of IBUs - its .64 - a nice smooth bite that cleans the palette
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

that little tinge of grey is kinda cool.... sounds really good on a hot summer day!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • CZsCZs
    the grey is neat - I've never had a Grisette with that touch - just makes the name more appropriate in my version anyways - I was concerned looking into the pre-boil kettle because it was 50/50 yellow/gray - it didn't look appealing and I'm an idgit for not taking a pic at the time

really is an odd brew - I think I will do a split batch next spring as is, and one with slightly less rye and lime zest for the "wimpy crowd" - the casual beer drinkers in my family liked it except for the added bite - probably get it down into the low 20-23 ibus for the 2nd batch and go slightly more malt forward
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

the grey is neat - I've never had a Grisette with that touch - just makes the name more appropriate in my version anyways - I was concerned looking into the pre-boil kettle because it was 50/50 yellow/gray - it didn't look appealing and I'm an idgit for not taking a pic at the time

really is an odd brew - I think I will do a split batch next spring as is, and one with slightly less rye and lime zest for the "wimpy crowd" - the casual beer drinkers in my family liked it except for the added bite - probably get it down into the low 20-23 ibus for the 2nd batch and go slightly more malt forward

the bite is what makes it sound so good...... heck with 'em, brew it for yourself!
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah I think the bite would keep it balanced.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Yeah I think the bite would keep it balanced.

see

:D
  • ThymThym
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

How eloquent
  • CZsCZs
    I musta' left Lakewood speechless
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

No doubt. I think its a first.
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

you should get a badge for that...
  • CZsCZs
    haha

just an update on this one - smells like soft coriander and faint citrus and loads of bubblegum - so far so good - one of the best smelling carboys I've had
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

haha

just an update on this one - smells like soft coriander and faint citrus and loads of bubblegum - so far so good - one of the best smelling carboys I've had

sweet
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

you should get a badge for that...

i'll see what i can do.
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

haha

this sounds right up my alley. yum.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

CZs said:

haha

Does sound good ...... be great for sitting on the back porch watching fireflies
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

CZs said:

haha

Does sound good ...... be great for sitting on the back porch watching fireflies

we dont have fireflies.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

CZs said:

haha

we dont have fireflies.

my sympathies .....
    I really missed the little guys when I lived in CA ..... didn't miss the chiggers though ...

• FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

CZs said:

haha

we dont have fireflies.

my sympathies .....
    I really missed the little guys when I lived in CA ..... didn't miss the chiggers though ...

go further north.
  • ceanntceannt
    I think its about time for another update on this brew.... hint.... hint...
  • CZsCZs
    Happy 4th everyone - strong banana/clove bubblegum taste and smell going on, I get a hint of candy caramel after a couple sips courtesy of the Cara45. Too lazy to do a hydro reading right now - I'll let it go a little while longer as I still see some yeasty clumps here and there floating and moving along

BTW, New Orleans was awesome - Crescent City Brewhouse Weiss bier was the best brew I had, followed by their monthly special - Altbier. The wife enjoyed their blonde and the Black Forest was very interesting. NOLA brewing Blonde, 7th St. Wheat (safe but light and refreshing), and Hurricane Saison (extreme barnyard) get honorable mention and Abita Amber was ok. If you ever go - Gumbo Shop has the best gumbo IMO, Oceana has a $14 Jumbo fried shrimp platter with 14 jumbo shrimp and jalepeno cheddar hushpuppies, and of course Cafe Du Monde for coffee with chicory and beignets (sp - whatevs) was a nice closer at the end of a late night. Weirdest things I saw: Homer Simpson sitting on top of a mailbox like he was on a toilet and Nicolas Cage's pyramid tomb at St. Louis Cemetery. Bourbon St was Bourbon St - tons of freaks and $10 grain alcohol mixes that tasted like crap - the Jazz scene is coo and we ate at Channing Tatum's Saints and SInners - burlesque place with awesome desserts
  • ceanntceannt
    Glad you had a good time
  • ThymThym
    sounds awesome
  • ceanntceannt
    That's someplace I have always wanted to go .... but I would gain 30 pounds ....
    Might be better off just going to New Iberia ... get the food from the source ...