5 gal Igloo/ Copper Manifold
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Been working on this for the past couple of weeks, and was able to get it all together yesterday.

Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ceanntceannt
    Sweet!
    so when is the inaugural mash?????
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    BTW .... you are a whole lot more ambitious than I am .... I still just use a stainless steel braid ....
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

Sweet!
    so when is the inaugural mash?????

It won't be until the first or second week in July ... I am slowing losing my mind waiting.

ceannt said:

BTW .... you are a whole lot more ambitious than I am .... I still just use a stainless steel braid ....

Haha, It is easy to be ambitious when I have nothing to do after work every day. At least nothing in the way of brewing beer, which is the only thing I want to do.

• FuzzyFuzzy
    i've been planning to make one for a while, but other projects always get in the way.

looks good!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you can't tell from the pictures, did you drill holes or cut slots on the bottom?
  • Evan_BEvan_B

you can't tell from the pictures, did you drill holes or cut slots on the bottom?

I forgot to photograph the bottom. I'll snap some when I get home from work.

I used my mitre saw to cut slits in the bottom.

• jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Mine is a copper "ring" made from 45s and sections of pipe. There is no center cross, just the ring with a T on one side. I drilled large holes in the bottom and sleeved it with 1" stainless braid.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    Looks good. The reflection in the sidewall is trippy. Hope the mitre saw had a fine kerf.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    This does looks good. Like Ceannt, I'm lazy and just bought a SS false bottom.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    The sawing was a little bit of a pain, and it doesn't look like a million bucks, but if it works...

photo 1 (1).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 448K
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 468K
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 435K
    photo 4 (1).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 447K
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

Looks good. The reflection in the sidewall is trippy. Hope the mitre saw had a fine kerf.

Kerf? That is honestly the first time I have ever seen that used in conversation.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    That tun is Lookin good by the way!

I was going to build one for my cooler to replace the braid but never did, my efficiency is at 85-87%.

I figured why mess with what works?

Might still do it, why not right? Besides building stuff is fun!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Kerf? That is honestly the first time I have ever seen that used in conversation.

you need to get out more...
  • ceanntceannt
    OK.... have you mashed in this yet?????
    if so.... how did it work out????
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    more specifically, how did the clean up go?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Actually, yes! I got an opportunity to use it this past weekend. I made a new rendition of my Rye Saison -
    50% Pilsen
    30% Rye Malt
    10% Flaked wheat
    10% Flaked Rye

Not only did I use 1/4 oz of rice hulls, but also used a 1 gal painter straining over the manifold.

It worked well! No stuck sparges or anything, though I think I should have sparged a little longer. Being my first time I was not accustomed to the shift in temperature when adding the grain. Even after I preheated the Mash Tun, I undershot my target mash temp by three degrees (wanted 154, got 151) not terrible though. 68% efficiency overall, which is about on par with what I was getting (I think it is more a result of my LHBS's grain mill.

I am pretty happy with the results, VERY happy actually.

The clean up was not terrible either (which is relative I suppose), especially using the paint strainer, which kept the grain and rice hulls out of the manifold.
  • ceanntceannt
    Sweet!

I typically use a longer sparge rest than most .... like 20 minutes

Good idea on the paint strainer!!!!!!!
  • ceanntceannt
    In fact .... that is by dang genius