Soy-soon recipe (saison)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I just received a sachet of http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/belle-saison-yeast , so I'm looking to try my hand at brewing a nice saison. There are already a couple good looking recipes posted, but I'd like to get a better understanding of the style.

From the bjcp :-q descriptions, it looks as though I can just toss whatever I want in the fermenter and call it a saison, so that's zero help. I'll keep my eyes open for commercial versions to try, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this style.

For those of you that enjoy the style, what is it that you like?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    After I come up with a good recipe for a saison, I'd love to brew something else with the yeast. Something off the wall, similar to how dampfbier is brewed and I'm open to any suggestions on that idea as well.
  • jlwjlw
    Here is my favorite..

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 6.93 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
    Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 33.4 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.2 %
    3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.1 %
    1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
    1.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 23.6 IBUs
    2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
    1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 mi Hop 5 9.8 IBUs
    1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
    1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.00 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 162.9 F 148.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.09gal, 3.59gal) of 168.0 F water
  • jlwjlw
    Here is another. Althought I like it less, mainly becuase it turned out very sweet. I loud like to try again and see if I did something wrong in the brew process.

Boil Size: 8.05 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
    Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.7 %
    Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    11 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.7 %
    9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.9 %
    1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.5 %
    6.4 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
    6.4 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
    4.0 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.6 %
    8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 8 3.2 %
    12.0 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 7 4.9 %
    1.75 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 9 27.6 IBUs
    0.63 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 4.4 IBUs
    0.11 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
    1.10 mg Vanilla Bean (Secondary 0.0 mins) Spice 12 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 6.4 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 19.40 qt of water at 159.2 F 149.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.00gal, 4.15gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I think I'd like the second one more for a crisp refreshing summer time type deal.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what are your thoughts on rye? it seems like rye would fit in well with what the yeast is supposed to put out.
  • jlwjlw
    I think rye would be great in a saison. One of the cool things about saison's is they are pretty open to interpretation. Saison's I would imagine were brewed with whatever the common grains were on the farm. The farm hands took these beers into the field for nourishment and refreshment. I could very well see a farmer brewing a saison with rye becuase he had it on hand. The original saison's were probably only 2 to 3 % abv. @azscoob also has a saison that you should check out.

I'm not familiar with the yeast you are going to use but many siason yeasts are able to talerate high fermentation temps. Those high temps are what gives the saison it's funky characteristics. Based on the description their site you would want to start this beer at kind of normal temps and then let run to whatever temp it goes to. I use 3711 and it will ferment up into the upper 80's. Also, these beers are dry and should get down to 1.000 to 1.005 range easily.

The first is what I call a summer beer very crisp, light and with a good amount of funk. the second is very dark beer and very fruity.

Whatever you end up brewing my recommendation would be keep the recipe simple and let the yeast drive the flavor of the beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I'm not familiar with the yeast you are going to use but many siason yeasts are able to talerate high fermentation temps. Those high temps are what gives the saison it's funky characteristics. Based on the description their site you would want to start this beer at kind of normal temps and then let run to whatever temp it goes to. I use 3711 and it will ferment up into the upper 80's. Also, these beers are dry and should get down to 1.000 to 1.005 range easily.

neither am i. it's a new dry yeast.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't care for it because its not the type of thing that i like, but schlafly's saison was a gold medal somewhere and is frequently heralded as an excellent example of a farmhouse style saison. next time you (or anyone you know) is an hour south of where you live, have them pick it up. only available in the fall though, ha!
  • scoobscoob
    Ow of my favorite beers, I love the spice the yeast imparts, I also love the fact that it is nice to brew in the fact that its a mustgo type beer, as in everything random in your brew closet that "must go" would likely fit in the style of beer, mine has rolled oats, honey, a few dregs of grains I had when designing the beer, it's a very resilient style that hardens to a day when beer was a staple of life, not a fancy beverage.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Admittedly I am not a Saisonist by trade, but when I think saison, spicey notes comes to mind, like very subtle black pepper or rye. Also lemon. I think if I were to try a saison recipe I would definitely use rye in it, and probably Sorachi Ace hops.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    I have had a few saison "style" beers.

They have all been pretty different from each other, but the yeast profile is decidedly un-clean.

I'm not a huge fan of the style, I find my mistakes end up tasting a lot like a commercial saison, so I often have too much of it on-hand.

But the bottom line is BJCP is right, you could probably dump the contents of any loose grain scraps in a mashtun and brew a saison.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Evan_B said:

Admittedly I am not a Saisonist by trade, but when I think saison, spicey notes comes to mind, like very subtle black pepper or rye. Also lemon. I think if I were to try a saison recipe I would definitely use rye in it, and probably Sorachi Ace hops.

Odd, my saison is subtle black pepper, and is brewed with sorachi ace.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    azscoob said:

Evan_B said:

Maybe it's a sign I am slowly converting to saisonism
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

azscoob said:

Evan_B said:

careful, it's a slippery slope. soon you will find yourself searching for horses with sweaty blankets.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

azscoob said:

Evan_B said:

careful, it's a slippery slope. soon you will find yourself searching for horses with sweaty blankets.

Ha!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

azscoob said:

Evan_B said:

blech
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

azscoob said:

Evan_B said:

you speak of this as if there is something wrong with it?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

azscoob said:

Evan_B said:

you speak of this as if there is something wrong with it?

;) not at all
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm so so on Saison. For a while most I had were bleh. Then I tried one from a local, Ferguson Brewing Co, it was awesome. I also love the Bier de Garde from Schlafly, it's awesome, not Saison, but they are close, so worthy of mention.
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

I'm so so on Saison. For a while most I had were bleh. Then I tried one from a local, Ferguson Brewing Co, it was awesome. I also love the Bier de Garde from Schlafly, it's awesome, not Saison, but they are close, so worthy of mention.

That's right. Once you go say-soon. You should check out a couple of other commercial versions like Saison Dupont. That one is a classic example.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I'm steering the latest soysoon convo into here before Lake bans us all for having legitimate conversations in the shady recesses of the site.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I'm really getting interested in these beers again, and I want to give it a go this weekend.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I've also got about 6-7 pounds of munich and a couple pounds of vienna malt i'd like to get rid of before I restock the grain stores.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    So I was thinking of using that as my base, and adding a touch of roasted malts, and a little special b to make a nice dark saison.

Mash around 150, as per Jlw's suggestion to get it nice and crisp.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    now what to do about hops? first wort, 60 minutes only, maybe a late charge?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

leaning toward maybe an early addition of chinook or nugget and a later addition of centennial. not a big, in your face amount, just a nice touch of floral hop to round it out.
  • ceanntceannt
    Me .... I would go for Styrian Goldings ... but that's just how I am ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I would think .... based on a bunch of drivel I read once .... that since it will be a good bit darker than the "norm" that you should hop it with a light hand
  • ceanntceannt
    Let the malt ... the roast ... and the yeast dominate
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I would think .... based on a bunch of drivel I read once .... that since it will be a good bit darker than the "norm" that you should hop it with a light hand

was it on the internet? that's the only legitimate source of information.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    also, by that logic, belgian IPA would never have been created. ;)
  • ceanntceannt

"logic, by its very nature is flawed, and is therefore illogical"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

"logic, by its very nature is flawed, and is therefore illogical"

:-B
  • jlwjlw

I like styrian goldings and fuggles. The cool thing about a soy-soon is you can use about any ingredient.
  • ceanntceannt
    Most continental beers.... the lighter (color) of a style are hopped far more than the darker versions.... by rule of thumb...
    I never quite bought in to this completely myself... I like roasted character and hops... but just sayin'
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

I like styrian goldings and fuggles.

see....
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

The cool thing about a soy-soon is you can use about any ingredient.

but there is this too.......
  • jlwjlw

I wouldn't FWH but would do a 60 minute addition but would keep it light. I don't think you want this too bitter.

I would do additions at 20 min or less to get some good flavor. Mine comes at the 20 min but I think you could go lower like at the 10 if you wanted more flavor.

I also dry hop.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

I like styrian goldings and fuggles.

see....

Well, these are fairly traditional hops for a soy-soon which is why I originaly put them in this recipe.
  • jlwjlw
    For me, I think of soy-soon's being yeast forward beer's. The yeast will drive so much flavor that I wouldn't want to hide it by over hoping.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I don't think you want this too bitter.

Hi, have we met? :-h
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I wouldn't FWH but would do a 60 minute addition but would keep it light. I don't think you want this too bitter.

I would do additions at 20 min or less to get some good flavor. Mine comes at the 20 min but I think you could go lower like at the 10 if you wanted more flavor.

I also dry hop.

that sounds pretty good. i still like the idea of centennial in there and definitely fuggles. now i just need to decide which one to use as a late addition and which one as a dry hop.
  • jlwjlw
    In my recipe I use fuggles at the 60 and SG at the 20 and dry hop with the fuggles. The profile gives you spicey, woody maybe earthy aroma's.

So maybe you could go

Fuggles - 60
    Centennial - 20 to 5 range for it's floral aroma's
    Dry hop with centennial
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

In my recipe I use fuggles at the 60 and SG at the 20 and dry hop with the fuggles. The profile gives you spicey, woody maybe earthy aroma's.

So maybe you could go

Fuggles - 60
    Dry hop with centennial

that's probably what i'll do. might just dry hop with fuggle too. i really like a fuggle dry hop in a darker ale. but there's plenty of time to change my mind about that.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

So maybe you could go

Fuggles - 60
    Dry hop with centennial

that's probably what i'll do. might just dry hop with fuggle too. i really like a fuggle dry hop in a darker ale. but there's plenty of time to change my mind about that.

This sounds really good.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah ... what jlw said
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Oh my god. I'm so hot right now.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

Oh my god. I'm so hot right now.

Beer porn will do that ......
  • ceanntceannt
    "He gently stroked the side of the glass ... admiring the way the lace clung, in all the right places .... then again raised the glass to his lips for another sip ...."
  • jlwjlw
    I would like to see this recipe go drier. Take it 148! I dare you. No wait I double dog dare you.
  • ceanntceannt
    And here I was just going to suggest he bump it up to 152.... since its darker ..

• ceanntceannt
    Let that munich malt shine!
  • ceanntceannt
    Be tasty either way really ......
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I would like to see this recipe go drier. Take it 148! I dare you. No wait I double dog dare you.

ceannt said:

And here I was just going to suggest he bump it up to 152.... since its darker ..

i was already torn between these two options. you're not helping.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i love the body you get from munich, but i would also love a nice dry malty brew. :-/
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt said:

Let that munich malt shine!

:)
  • jlwjlw
    I really think either way you go on this it's going to be good.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yup ....

OK .... there is only one way to resolve this dilemma ........
  • ceanntceannt
    Split batch!
  • ceanntceannt
    Means a double brew day .... but fz is into those anyway
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Means a double brew day .... but fz is into those anyway

once was enough.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    plus, i only have enough grain for the one batch.
  • ceanntceannt

Or .... just the right amount of grain for 2 half batches .....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

half batches are for jerks!
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

half batches are for jerks!

Then its perfect for you
    ;)

C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Best Malz Munich 7.0 lb
    Best Malz Pilsner 2.5 lb
    German Vienna 1.75 lb
    Belgian Special B 4.0 oz
    Chocolate Malt 2.0 oz

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
    Fuggle United States 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Leaf 4.5%
    Palisade United States 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 7.1%
    Centennial United States 0.25 oz 15 min Boil Leaf 9.5%
    Fuggle United States 1.0 oz 15 days Dry Hop Leaf 4.5%
    Yeasts

NAME LAB ATTENUATION TEMP
    Belgian Saison Yeast 3724 Wyeast 78.0% 70°F – 95°F
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    so that was the final recipe and i'm drinking it right now. i likes it!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the only gripe, is the yeast choice. not really a fan.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i pitched at around 80F and let it naturally fall to room temp ~73F, but i really didn't get much soysoon flavor from the yeast.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    if i used it again, i'd have to remember to keep the temps way higher than normal for the whole primary. other than that, it's a really nice beer. it has some good toffee, malty flavors from the munich and dark malts, but it's nice and crisp on the finish. the fuggle dry hop is melding well with the the rest of the flavor profile as well.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    next up is the belle saison, but i think i'll go for a lighter beer for that and ferment hot to see what it can do.
  • ceanntceannt

Best Malz Munich 7.0 lb
    Best Malz Pilsner 2.5 lb
    German Vienna 1.75 lb
    Belgian Special B 4.0 oz
    Chocolate Malt 2.0 oz

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
    Fuggle United States 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Leaf 4.5%
    Palisade United States 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 7.1%
    Centennial United States 0.25 oz 15 min Boil Leaf 9.5%
    Fuggle United States 1.0 oz 15 days Dry Hop Leaf 4.5%
    Yeasts

NAME LAB ATTENUATION TEMP
    Belgian Saison Yeast 3724 Wyeast 78.0% 70°F – 95°F

I really like that grain bill
  • ceanntceannt

next up is the belle saison, but i think i'll go for a lighter beer for that and ferment hot to see what it can do.

still waiting on my normal supplier to sell that.....
    I want to do my o-fest ale with saison yeast....