My First Grisette - For Your Review
  • CZsCZs
    Hey everyone. You might have read about the brief history of the Grisette - since having it for the first time a few months ago, it has stuck in my mind as being Saison-like, but even drier and slightly more spicy than a 3711. Researching this lost but now re-emerging style, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there other than the general history behind "grey", those attempting to add spiciness to the grain bill, and almost taking a nod from a Witte grain bill - with a quarter to half of the bill being wheat for a crisp bite, slight haze and good head retention.

Here is my session Grisette, aka "Ocean Front Grisette" - appropriate summer-themed brew, named by the wife. Let me know what you think. It def is a grey beer - mysterious, doesn't lend itself to one particular style - spicy, yet citrusy, yet should be an easily drinkable brew, not too many are familiar with it - I'm a little surprised more noobs like myself don't get into it because it seems to be a forgiving brew and you can really make it your own, in the same spirit of a saison - except this was for the miners instead of the farmers. Anyways - let me know if you have any other additional info or experience drinking a Grisette and if you would change anything. Thanks!

Estimated OG: 1.042 / Estimated FG: 1.000
    ABV: 4.45% / IBU: 26.40 / SRM: 3.35
    Boil Size: 7.5 gal / Batch Size: 5.5 gal / Boil Time: 75 min
    Yeast: Wyeast 3711 French Saison or Belle - not sure yet - thoughts?

Fermentables:
    5.2 lbs Castle Pils/2-row - 58.1%
    1.5 lbs White Wheat - 16.8%
    1.25 lbs Unmalted Wheat - 14.0%
    0.5 lbs Rye - 5.6%
    0.5 lbs Flaked Oats - 5.6%

Mash Steps
    125F 25 min rest
    150F 75 min mash
    170F Fly Sparge, followed by batch sparge

Hops
    1 oz Citra (12 aa) - 10 min, 17.82 IBUs
    1 oz NZ Wakatu (8 aa) - 6.8 min, 8.58 IBUs

Ferment 2 weeks
    prime with 4 oz cane, 1 oz turbinado solution in bucket
    Bottle for 4 weeks
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looking forward to how this turns out. i have a couple saison yeasts i need to try out.

CZs
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Sounds good! I did a little research on this style a couple years ago... and was very dissapointed in the lack of information out there...

What are the NZ Wakatu hops like????
    are they spicey? like a Noble hop?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Sounds good! I did a little research on this style a couple years ago... and was very dissapointed in the lack of information out there...

similar to hallertau
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

I get more lemon/limeness - it is supposed to be slightly less spicy then most Hallertaus - some use it in pale ales as bittering - moderate, dual purpose hop - I figured just like the Grisette itself, I would use something not widely used - at least that is what I'm gathering
  • ceanntceannt
    Cool... never tried that variety...
  • ceanntceannt
    I dug through my old notes.....
    the tentative grain bill I came up with was fairly similar... Pilsner... 40% red wheat... bout the same amount of rye... only real difference was I didn't have the oats.. and I had a tiny bit of roasted barley in there to add a touch of color and to increase the perception of dryness in the finish... and I was thinking Spalt hops...

I like where you are going with this... keep us posted!
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

I dug through my old notes.....
    the tentative grain bill I came up with was fairly similar... Pilsner... 40% red wheat... bout the same amount of rye... only real difference was I didn't have the oats.. and I had a tiny bit of roasted barley in there to add a touch of color and to increase the perception of dryness in the finish... and I was thinking Spalt hops...

I like where you are going with this... keep us posted!

hmm - never used red wheat, what would be the difference v. using white? is it just more of a complex feel than just a crispness?

The wife had little say about the BDS brew, so, I'm letting the lime citrus theme w/ the hops stand on this one - got to keep her happy so I can brew the next one she isn't quite as interested in. I will keep Spalt in mind for my next dry one!
  • ceanntceannt
    Not a whole lot of noticeable difference between red and white wheat ... at least to me .... I like the red a touch better ... gives a hint more of that soft maltyness ... either will add crispness
  • ceanntceannt
    I wouldn't even think of changing your hops ..... I have a suspicion that the "citrus" flavors in the original beer came from the yeast .... probably a yeast strain that you would never be able to replicate .... so if you can get that character some other way ..... why the heck not!
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

I wouldn't even think of changing your hops ..... I have a suspicion that the "citrus" flavors in the original beer came from the yeast .... probably a yeast strain that you would never be able to replicate .... so if you can get that character some other way ..... why the heck not!

darn you! I have been going back and forth on harvesting and mixing strains and now I really want to. Would love to play with some Witte and Saison strains and see where it leads me - do you think 3724 might be a better candidate - I was wondering if 3711 would overtake a Witte.
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

darn you! I have been going back and forth on harvesting and mixing strains and now I really want to. Would love to play with some Witte and Saison strains and see where it leads me - do you think 3724 might be a better candidate - I was wondering if 3711 would overtake a Witte.

Ha!
    I just had to open that can of worms didn't I?
    Unfortunately ... I can be of no help at all with those strains ..... a couple of the other members may be able to help ...
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

Ha!
    I just had to open that can of worms didn't I?
    Unfortunately ... I can be of no help at all with those strains ..... a couple of the other members may be able to help ...

its all good - not truly ready for that adventure yet - got to let the wife enjoy brewing the Grisette and get through some other things first - need to research before even attempting - I'd have to have a "dedicated space that's not in the way" too
  • ceanntceannt
    I used to know a guy... I lost touch with him after he moved... he was obsessed with culturing yeast... big time. He even planned his vacations to go to areas he wanted to "harvest" yeast... he made at least three trips to Belgium ... (his kitchen looked like a meth lab, and he had four chest freezers in the spare bedroom)
    I bet if you told him the part of Belgium, and what you were looking for, he could pull a test tube out of a freezer with exactly the right yeast....

he was one weird, looney-tunes wacky crazy SOB.... but he knew yeast better than any one alive.....
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

I used to know a guy... I lost touch with him after he moved... he was obsessed with culturing yeast... big time. He even planned his vacations to go to areas he wanted to "harvest" yeast... he made at least three trips to Belgium ... (his kitchen looked like a meth lab, and he had four chest freezers in the spare bedroom)
    I bet if you told him the part of Belgium, and what you were looking for, he could pull a test tube out of a freezer with exactly the right yeast....

he was one weird, looney-tunes wacky crazy SOB.... but he knew yeast better than any one alive.....

holy hell - that is awesome and kinda' time consuming at the same time - not sure I have that kind of dedication - I could see doing a few different yeasts at a time, but that would probably be the extent of it - maybe I just need to connect with someone that I can trade some brews for yeast with, we shall see. In the meantime, gettin excited for this Grisette brew. Gonna grab some breakfast this Saturday a.m. and get started!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

maybe I just need to connect with someone that I can trade some brews for yeast with, we shall see.

homebrew club?
  • CZsCZs

CZs said:

ceannt said:

maybe I just need to connect with someone that I can trade some brews for yeast with, we shall see.

homebrew club?

exactly what I was thinking - going to go to a class at a nearby brew shop too and I'll go from there
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

holy hell - that is awesome and kinda' time consuming at the same time - not sure I have that kind of dedication - I could see doing a few different yeasts at a time, but that would probably be the extent of it - maybe I just need to connect with someone that I can trade some brews for yeast with, we shall see. In the meantime, gettin excited for this Grisette brew. Gonna grab some breakfast this Saturday a.m. and get started!

Yeah .... he spent more time playing with yeast than he did at work .... he was single .... he even got into intentionally mutating ... he developed one strain that literally gave off the smell of vomit ...."that one didn't go so well " and yes ... he put several test tubes of it and glycerine in a freezer ... "never know when you might want to play a nasty trick on someone "
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

Yeah .... he spent more time playing with yeast than he did at work .... he was single .... he even got into intentionally mutating ... he developed one strain that literally gave off the smell of vomit ...."that one didn't go so well " and yes ... he put several test tubes of it and glycerine in a freezer ... "never know when you might want to play a nasty trick on someone "

sorry, my brain processed "intentionally mutating" into "something regarding X-Men" - I was highly considering taking a day off of work for a brew day, but then reconsidered once the wife asked me about going to New Orleans for a long weekend. Need to save up for those vacation days! We were talking about taking a fall road trip up (we're East Coasters) through a few states and visiting different breweries and some haunted inns - we're big horror flick fans as well. Thought it might be an interesting, relaxing "Brews and Boos" trip.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

sorry, my brain processed "intentionally mutating" into "something regarding X-Men" - I was highly considering taking a day off of work for a brew day, but then reconsidered once the wife asked me about going to New Orleans for a long weekend. Need to save up for those vacation days! We were talking about taking a fall road trip up (we're East Coasters) through a few states and visiting different breweries and some haunted inns - we're big horror flick fans as well. Thought it might be an interesting, relaxing "Brews and Boos" trip.

there's a 'haunted' jail next to a brewpub that i like to visit a few times a year. i've been meaning to take the tour, but haven't found the free time yet. sounds like a good trip.
  • CZsCZs

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

there's a 'haunted' jail next to a brewpub that i like to visit a few times a year. i've been meaning to take the tour, but haven't found the free time yet. sounds like a good trip.

our initial convos have included visiting Flying Dog (MD), Brewer's Alley (MD), Appalachian Brewing Company (PA), Iron Hill (PA), Allagash (ME), Ommegang (NY) - anyone that can suggest any eastern breweries, would be appreciated!

We've been to Gettysburg 5 billion times but love it around October, same with Lancaster - South Central PA / Northern MD is becoming quite the brew belt - great country combined with great brews and great history between Frederick, Gettysburg, Lancaster - highly suggest taking a trip if you ever get the chance.
  • ThymThym
    That sounds like an awesome road trip. Being from the west coast, I really dont know where anything is on the eastern 95% of the US. But if you want to tours some breweries out here, I can help! PS. June 7th & 8th San Diego Brewery tour!!!

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/721/san-diego-brewery-tour
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

That sounds like an awesome road trip. Being from the west coast, I really dont know where anything is on the eastern 95% of the US. But if you want to tours some breweries out here, I can help! PS. June 7th & 8th San Diego Brewery tour!!!

I'd love to - sometime I will get back out to California and do some serious sight seeing and brew touring - doing New Orleans around the same time for the wife's 30th :)
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

Lakewood said:

I'd love to - sometime I will get back out to California and do some serious sight seeing and brew touring - doing New Orleans around the same time for the wife's 30th :)

that sounds fun too!
  • CZsCZs
    I guess Midwest is in a transition period - finally getting my Grisette supplies shipped to me for this weekend. When I first complained a week ago (ordered it on 4/23 - finally shipping as of 2 a.m. eastern) they refunded me the shipping charge. Then, they gave me $25.00 gift card for next purchase. Basically this brew is only going to be $10! Aka - 21 cents a bottle! I was getting really irritated by the 2 week wait, but it really worked out better than I could ever hope for.

EDIT: Actually, that was the bulk order - not using some of the grain so this brew is the cheapest brew in the history of man
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

I guess Midwest is in a transition period - finally getting my Grisette supplies shipped to me for this weekend. When I first complained a week ago (ordered it on 4/23 - finally shipping as of 2 a.m. eastern) they refunded me the shipping charge. Then, they gave me $25.00 gift card for next purchase. Basically this brew is only going to be $10! Aka - 21 cents a bottle! I was getting really irritated by the 2 week wait, but it really worked out better than I could ever hope for.

EDIT: Actually, that was the bulk order - not using some of the grain so this brew is the cheapest brew in the history of man

Ha! Awesome. I'd gladly wait even longer for a deal like that.
  • CZsCZs
    Alright peeps

After life got out of my way for a little while, I brewed this on 5/17. Attached is some pictures. I'll make sure to provide even more for the next one.

Color: I wonder if there is a correlation between the name Grisette / Little Grey and the color of the wort or beer at any point. As you'll see in the sampling tube - it required my 75 min boil to even get in the 2 range. It was in 1 to sub-1 SRM / transparency range. I was only 1-2 points off my OG but am already down to 1.001 and still kicking. I could even get to sub-0.000 gravity on this thing.

Taste: The wife and I decided to add lime zest. We added 1/3 oz of lime zest (roughly 6 small limes). It was added after I employed the wort chiller down and brought it down to 70F. It taste like a soft tortilla with a little lime squirted on it. Its a little bready, grainy, and I'm guessing because I used 30% wheat in this one as my research suggested 25-50%. I'm glad I didn't use any more, and would probably cut back down to 20% for the future. I also get a slight sharpness on the side of the tongue - a little spice, but not the 3711 peppery - probably where the small amount of Rye comes into play? There I go again with the Flaked Oats. I swear I'll never not use them in any light Belgian/French style - it always messes with your head in a great way IMO - extremely dry yet silky? WTF! Love that.

Smell: Froot Loops with some slight floral / grapefruit and lime to it. Seems like the citrus will be in the taste and we'll get this unexplained fruit in the nose.

Appearance thus far: There is a wheat haze, but I can see this clearing out in the next few weeks and through bottling. I will be happy either way and part of me hopes it retains it. It really comes across as a somewhat odd brew because of the grainyness - I picture the working class enjoying this brew because so far, it represents simplicity and grit over delicate artisan / farmhouse. The color so far is going right along with the name and idea - the gritty worker's brew - the yellow even has this tinge of grey / transparency at the right angle. I'm digging its separation from what we are calling Farmhouse Ales / Modern Saisons. Possibly closer to a Witte than a Saison?
  • C_BC_B
    Sounds intriguing.

Image fail, btw.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CZsCZs
    thanks and sorry about image - it is showing up on my end - suggestions on how to fix / do differently? I went ahead and attached here
    20130520_124033.jpg
    139 x 309 - 23K
    20130522_112354.jpg
    245 x 327 - 42K
  • ThymThym
    very interested color. i can see a hint of grey that i was not expecting.
  • ThymThym
    my guess is that the grey is coming from the small amount of rye, playing off the hazy white of the wheat and yellow of the 2-row.
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

my guess is that the grey is coming from the small amount of rye, playing off the hazy white of the wheat and yellow of the 2-row.

makes sense to me anyways - I don't know why I didn't take a pre-boil picture - it was really something - the mash tun looked like the inside of a cement mixer - I was really concerned it would look unappealing - I would imagine if I cut back on the white from the wheat we would get something a little closer to 3 or 4 SRM. I'll update notes after another couple weeks

• ceanntceannt
    Hmmm.... if you just want to bump the SRM up a touch... leave the wheat alone, and toss in just a tiny bit of Carfa III... like maybe an ounce....
    Shouldn't affect the character of the brew any, but will give you a bit of color
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... and that gravity sample looks almost identical to my Gingko tea Mead.... weird...
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

Oh.... and that gravity sample looks almost identical to my Gingko tea Mead.... weird...

good advice on the color and that sounds really awesome - I want to start playing around with different tea / coffee infusions and get something a little warmer tasting without heavy body for the fall
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

good advice on the color and that sounds really awesome - I want to start playing around with different tea / coffee infusions and get something a little warmer tasting without heavy body for the fall

but... but... heavy body and Fall go real well together!
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

lol - I actually have to be in a certain mood to have any heavy beer - I'd love to share my Pumpkin Saison with the world because even if you're not a pumpkin brew lover - it is a nice, light, crisp fall brew - get equal amounts vanilla and clove to pumpkin taste - I actually have been drinking them even now in May - anyways - on to brewing the Pelley's Dream - I'll be back later this afternoon with updates!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

lol - I actually have to be in a certain mood to have any heavy beer -

crazy talk.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    unless by mood you mean alive, then i agree.
  • CZsCZs
    lol - heavy is a point of view of course! I have a hard time finding a brew I don't like so let me rephrase that - I don't always want the Oktoberfests or De Noels of the world that fill me up after 2-3 brews! Guess that's why you gotta mix it up although before I know it, I usually don't care
  • CZsCZs
    Only two weeks fermenting but I'm getting this thing into some bottles. We're slightly below 1.000 and it only has a slight haze on it - can still pretty much see through the other side - its dry and its rustic and it still has that tinge of grey. Time to let this sit for a couple weeks and drink already - even green its going to be light, citrusy and drinkable. The wort is the easiest-drinkin' wort I've ever drunk. Good english, huh? When I'm ready to pop her open to drink, you fine people will be the first to know.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

you fine people

who told you that? it's all lies, i assure you. ;)
  • CZsCZs
    haha - this thing was bottled up last Friday. I did an undercarbed 4 day bottle test - I was kinda surprised to see how much head I got already - the Citra and Wakatu are great citrus buddies - I def get a little 3711 peppery on the sides of the tongue, along with some other twangy spice - probably the rye coming out a little - its less bready, more citrusy, peppery - If I cook some shrimp I would consider glazing or sauteing them with this stuff
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

haha - this thing was bottled up last Friday. I did an undercarbed 4 day bottle test - I was kinda surprised to see how much head I got already - the Citra and Wakatu are great citrus buddies - I def get a little 3711 peppery on the sides of the tongue, along with some other twangy spice - probably the rye coming out a little - its less bready, more citrusy, peppery - If I cook some shrimp I would consider glazing or sauteing them with this stuff

sounds good. i've been meaning to get my hands on some wakatu hops for a while, but every time i'm putting in an order, they're out of stock. ~X(
  • CZsCZs
    really? Midwest has em for $2/oz of pellet right now if you're desperate - of course, its not worth your while with their ridiculous shipping charges. You would prob pay more in shipping than the item itself

I really need Amazon to get into brew supplies a little more, preferably on the Prime side of things . . .
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

really? Midwest has em for $2/oz of pellet right now if you're desperate - of course, its not worth your while with their ridiculous shipping charges. You would prob pay more in shipping than the item itself

I really need Amazon to get into brew supplies a little more, preferably on the Prime side of things . . .

Amazon is evil ...... oh wait .... they're selling my books!.... Amazon is awesome!
    yeah, more brewing stuff on there... now!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

i usually get my hops from farmhouse brewing supply. midwest has a good selection of stuff, but shipping kills it every time!
  • CZsCZs
    yup, on the verge of dumping Midwest like an annoying girlfriend you know you just have around because her friends are going out with your friends and well just everyone can't get off the double dating cycle "ITS A MADHOUSE!"

anyways, I tasted this again at 10 days, will be two weeks on Friday. It is 3/4 carbed I'd say and it is uber crisp with a nice refreshing lime bite and slightly hazy. This brew is the perfect summer session beer. I drank two undercarbed and really thought they were fully carbed because of the surprisingly great ginger-ale like bite
  • ThymThym
    Is anyone aware of any commercial examples of this style?
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Nope .... but I don't get out much
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

google does:

http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/beer_details/32
  • CZsCZs
    I love Sly's Saison Vos - never had the chance to have their Grisette - sounds good to me
  • ThymThym
    "Grisette is a Belgian style ale which was originally brewed in the Hainaut province to be the beer of the miners in the area, just as Saison was the beer of the farmers. It was lighter than Saison and frequently contained wheat as well as barley malt (as does the Sly Fox version). The name is derived from the French word for "gray," referring to both the drab factory frocks worn by the young women (the grisettes) who doled out pints as the men exited from the mines, and also the color of the cobblestone rock being mined."

this sounds really familiar.
  • ThymThym
    also

"Sly Fox beers are currently distributed throughout PA, DE, NJ and NY"

boo. i wanna try one.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

also

"Sly Fox beers are currently distributed throughout PA, DE, NJ and NY"

boo. i wanna try one.

me too .... the PA line is only about a 45 minute drive from my house ..... I should see if I can find some