Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I guess I should start with the disclaimer that, as many of you know, I'm not one of them weirdo IPA types.

So here we go,

This beer is a nice golden/copperish color and laces well on the glass. The mouthfeel is perfect for an ipa, in my hop ignorant opinion. It finishes nice and dry, with no lingering sweetness.

The aroma is citrusy and hop forward, with little malt or rye scent. It really just smells like cascades, which is fine with me.

The rye spicyness comes through in the flavor right away. It's not an overpowering rye, and I feel like they could have increased it a bit, but it's a nice addition to the overall flavor. I couldn't detect a whole lot of malt flavor to this beer; it was just too bitter for my palate. I'm not a big fan of bitter and this beer is just a tad too bitter for my tastes. I think that the firm bitterness of this one masked a bit of the underlying flavor.
    There was just enough hop flavor there to compliment the rye without covering it up.

Overall, it's a good beer. I won't buy it again, but I'll enjoy the six I bought.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    sounds good. (i like hoppy)

whats the ABV?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    I like rye and hoppy so I need the MIL to pick up a six for me.
  • scoobscoob
    Looks good, I love me some rye....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

whats the ABV?

abv 7.5, ibu-92.

https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/uploads/Beer/2013 Beer Profile - Rye of the Tiger.pdf
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

whats the ABV?

abv 7.5, ibu-92.

https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/uploads/Beer/2013 Beer Profile - Rye of the Tiger.pdf

that's my kind 'a beer.
  • jlwjlw
    I have a six pack of this coming to me.

Thym
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I have a six pack of this coming to me.

Jealous.
  • jlwjlw
    Drinking this now. Damn tasty beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Drinking this now. Damn tasty beer.

glad you like it!
  • C_BC_B
    I have a couple in the fridge. We'll see. I'm skeptical, you know, 'cuz of the hops.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

I have a couple in the fridge. We'll see. I'm skeptical, you know, 'cuz of the hops.

*sigh*

• FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

don't do it!!!!
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Now that I have thought about it. You won't like it and should send them to me.
  • ThymThym
    two of these appeared at my house while i was on travel... i shall be sampling them this weekend.
  • ceanntceannt
    Great lakes stuff only seldom shows up around here... and then only in a couple of "high toned" wine shops in Winchester VA...

I will keep an eye out for this one
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    Well, I just cracked one of these babies open....

RAWR!! This kitty's got bite! It's a purrrfect balance of flavor and aroma with a solid bitter back that lingers a bit on the tongue. Bitterness is balanced with just a hint of maltiness, but really more of the earthy rye flavor.

Yum.

Sorry for all the cat puns. I had to.
  • jlwjlw
    Nice puns. Well played. The more of these I drink the more I like this beer. The rye is so good with the spiceiness.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Nice puns. Well played. The more of these I drink the more I like this beer. The rye is so good with the spiceiness.

This. I wasn't really a fan with the first one. But three deep and I'm beginning to appreciate what they've done here.
    With the first one I confused the rye bite with too many bittering hops [-(. Really though, it has enough malt for me to stay interested.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    So... one bottle of this showed up on my doorstep... (thanks C_B!!!!)
    I really like this beer.... the rye adds so much to the overall flavor profile, but isn't overdone. After a day spent in an exceedingly boring seminar.... it was what I needed to become "human" again...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.