lager weirdness
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    my recent lager that i made and lagered for 3 weeks tasted like really skunky heinekin when i tasted it last week (3 days after kegging, fully carbed)
    tried it today and it is markedly better, still has a funky aftertaste, but not as bad.
    this beer was put into a bucket that had a leaky lid and basically open fermented for the first week until i caught it.
    anbody have any thoughts?
    yeast was saflager s-23
    very basic recipe, just 6 pounds of golden light Briess dme and around 15 ibu's. very simple fence painting beer.
  • ThymThym
    it's hard to know if that skunky flavor is the result of a wild yeast for sure. but in my experience you have two things that can work in your favor.

1. the co2 adds a flavor that tend to mask some off flavors
    2. some off flavors dissipate with time or can be carried away through gas exchange.

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    saflager always gives me a sulfury tastes that takes a long while to fade out. have you tried co2 scrubbing? i usually wait, but if you want to drink it now, give it a shot and see if that clears the off flavor out.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it tastes more grainy and cerealy, like a really strong helles that is old.
    due to lots of cider making i am extremely well versed in sulfur flavors. stupid sulfur.
  • ThymThym

it tastes more grainy and cerealy, like a really strong helles that is old.
    due to lots of cider making i am extremely well versed in sulfur flavors. stupid sulfur.

grainy flavors are not something associate with any kind of fermentation byproduct. interesting.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny