AHA Big Brew Day May 4 2013
  • jlwjlw
    Anyone planning a brew day for Big Brew Day? maybe I'll brew my hefe that I picked up ingredients for two weeks ago. I doubt I invite anyone over since I don't really like people but I can say I participated.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=big-brew-13

Big Brew 2013

Each year homebrewers around the world invite family and friends to their brewing site on the first Saturday in May to celebrate National Homebrew Day. The AHA celebrates National Homebrew Day with Big Brew, which brings together thousands of homebrewers from around the world, all brewing the same beers simultaneously. More than 5,000 homebrewers from North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and Australia are expected to participate Big Brew this year on May 4.
    2013 Big Brew Resources Now Available
    Whether you are hosting an event, inviting a few friends over or joining a registered event, all the resources necessary to participate in Big Brew are now available!
    If you plan to host a Big Brew event, register today and download the press release and event poster to help promote the occasion to homebrewers in your area. Find a registered Big Brew event near you by viewing the list of current sites. Make sure to check back as more sites are registered!
    The recipes for the 2013 Big Brew are the medal-winning entries from the Great American Beer Festival 2012 Pro-Am Competition. The diverse recipes cover a range of styles, ingredients, skills and processes, so choose the one that you would like to brew most with your friends and family!
    Big Brew Trends in 2012
    An estimated 7,100 people celebrated the National Homebrew Day at 254 registered AHA Big Brew sites in 2012. More than 1,500 batches which accounting for 1,200 gallons of homebrew, were enjoyed around the world. Nine countries participated with registered AHA Big Brew sites, including 44 of the United States.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    suppose i should. might have to let people know right now so they can make plans to be there for it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I'm thinkin APA for this one. Most people are familiar with the style and it'll be a good excuse to let them see the differences in the hop varieties i have on hand, taste the different grains, etc.
  • BenSBenS
    I'll be brewing up at my local micro brewery. They are hosting a brew day/beer drinking party. Probably brew up the club competition wee heavy.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • C_BC_B
    I suppose I should. Maybe the centennial APA. Or a hefe. Or both.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    I should hold one... of course I should probably keg the Belgian from February too.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

I should hold one... of course I should probably keg the Belgian from February too.

brewcast!
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

brewcast!

I will if I can get it pulled together.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ok, this thing is on! not sure how many people are going to show, as it's supposed to rain, but i'm brewing and bbq'n all day saturday.

i'm also doing the dry hop in a bottle test from this thread:

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/830/dry-hop-testing#Item_13

now the question is, should i put together a sort of 'what is brewing' sort of thingy(either presentation or pamphlet style) or just answer random questions all day.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'm leaning towards just a casual sort of q and a type of deal unless someone has a good example of something.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that way if people don't really care, they aren't being force fed info they don't want, and if someone is genuinely curious, i can show them in detail.
  • C_BC_B

i'm leaning towards just a casual sort of q and a type of deal unless someone has a good example of something.

I think an open Q&A is best. At least that seems like it will drive the most legit questions. Maybe gibber-gabber through the steps to push some questions.
    But personally I am a "soft sell" type of person.
  • C_BC_B
    And I suspect you are capable of gibber-gabber....
  • ThymThym

if people really dont know anything about brewing they may not know what to ask or be a little self conscious about it. maybe there is something you could put by the brew rig that explains the basics of the process? that said, i get a lot of curious questions at parties at my house, and usually have a good time explaining the process to lots of people
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

And I suspect you are capable of gibber-gabber....

i pity the fool that can't lay down the gibber-gabber.

• jlwjlw

that way if people don't really care, they aren't being force fed info they don't want, and if someone is genuinely curious, i can show them in detail.

4 hour lecture. Read straight from notes or a book. I actually had a prof in grad school that taught every class like this. worst. class. ever.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

4 hour lecture. Read straight from notes or a book. I actually had a prof in grad school that taught every class like this. worst. class. ever.

hopefully i can find a poorly translated german brewing textbook in time.
  • BenSBenS

jlw said:

hopefully i can find a poorly translated german brewing textbook in time.

Gotta have it for a social brew day. How else are those idiots going to learn?
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS
    I'm looking forward to tomorrows brew day. The brewery guys are doing all three recipes on the AHA website, 1 all-grain, 1 partial mash, and 1 extract. It's gonna be sweet. Hopefully a couple more home brewers come out besides me also.
  • jlwjlw
    No brew day for me by the way. No time.
  • C_BC_B
    No brewwday for me tomorrow. Weather is too nice, I'll be in the field.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    so the next time i say i'm going to do a double brewday while bbq'n and cleaning all day someone drive over here and smack me upside the head.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that was a long day.
  • C_BC_B

that was a long day.

Fun though, right?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

that was a long day.

Fun though, right?

yup.
  • jlwjlw

so the next time i say i'm going to do a double brewday while bbq'n and cleaning all day someone drive over here and smack me upside the head.

I just put this in the to do list.