harvesting local wild yeast
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    After doing a little research it seems there are two primary means of capturing wild yeast in your local area: Mixing up some wort, leaving it in a bowl outside for a few days, and then see what you get after a few weeks. The other involves taking fruit (grapes usually), throwing them in a flask or something and wait for the yeast to start fermenting before putting them in a starter. I have a grape vine I planted in my backyard, but I am moving soon, and won't be able to get any grapes before I leave. I do, however, have some small prickly pear fruits hanging out in the back. Could this work as a reasonable substitute?

Sorry I feel the need to lead into my questions with novellas.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    I would think any fruit is going to support yeast growth. I have avocados, plum, apricot and peach in my back yard, they all are covered in a nice light coat of white yeast.

I'd go for it, you'll know pretty quick if its sucessfull.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Thanks.
    Day 1-
    photo.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hmmm....i am very interested in how this turns out. a great deal of the sugars in the fruit of a prickly pear are unfermentable, simply due to the age of the fruits (as sugar ages, it becomes more and more unfermentable)

this may have a very selective variety of yeast surviving on it.
    I have a researcher that cultures yeast of small bark samples from trees and grape vines. pull off some bark from your grapevine, toss it is a sugary substrate, carry on. This is just another option if you want to do it. you don't need to wait for fruit at all.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'd suggest a hefe or farmhouse style ale if you can culture up a viable sample. wild yeasts tend to have poor flocculation and leave some 'yeasty' flavors. perfect for those two styles.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i always wanted to try and grab a wild yeast via the wort in a jar method in the woods near my grandmothers house. the forests there smell incredible in the summer. i would love to get some of that deep forest/earthy mustiness in an ale.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Thanks.
    Day 1-

Personally, I would just take the skin of a couple of those and drop them into about 100ml of wort.
  • Evan_BEvan_B

hmmm....i am very interested in how this turns out. a great deal of the sugars in the fruit of a prickly pear are unfermentable, simply due to the age of the fruits (as sugar ages, it becomes more and more unfermentable)

this may have a very selective variety of yeast surviving on it.
    I have a researcher that cultures yeast of small bark samples from trees and grape vines. pull off some bark from your grapevine, toss it is a sugary substrate, carry on. This is just another option if you want to do it. you don't need to wait for fruit at all.

I am going to try the grapevine bark idea tomorrow or the day after. Thanks.

i'd suggest a hefe or farmhouse style ale if you can culture up a viable sample. wild yeasts tend to have poor flocculation and leave some 'yeasty' flavors. perfect for those two styles.

The weather is starting to warm up too!!!
    Unfortunately I am going to have to wait a few weeks to brew anything while I pack up my stuff and move.
    I think as soon as I am back in the saddle I will have to try a saison experiment with different wild yeast captured from different surroundings/fruits.

• Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Thanks.
    Day 1-

Personally, I would just take the skin of a couple of those and drop them into about 100ml of wort.

I am not lacking in the availability of cactus fruit. If this initial test doesn't work then I will definitely be adding some more to wort.
  • ceanntceannt
    Somebody I know that cultures yeast all the time told me to never let wort set out for longer than three days
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    He says you run the risk of getting "bad stuff" in there
  • ThymThym
    makes sense. if you let a finished beer sit out open for long enough it will turn nasty.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    The grain that I was hauling the other day is going into a 100% local beer today. The grain was grown, malted, and kilned in NC. The hops were as well. The yeast too was cultured from a local fig tree. It's going to be a saison. I may have access to this yeast later.

If I'm not mistaken this yeast was collected in wort under the tree overnight. They also have another culture from the skin of the fruit. It must be awesome having a contact that can sequence yeast DNA and tell you exactly what you have. I just want a decent microscope to monitor for bacteria and yeast health.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    That
    is
    freaking
    cool
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    I want some!
  • ceanntceannt
    (While it was loading I thought to myself .... I can't believe I just clicked on that!)
  • ThymThym
    awesome
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I just want a decent microscope to monitor for bacteria and yeast health.

this. twice.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    The prickly pear proved to be fruitless (pun not intended). Call me impatient, but after two days and no signs of anything I chucked it. However, I did also take some bark from my grape vine and just threw it in some ~1.040 wort (150ml).

Hot Diggity!!!!!! One day later
    photo (1).JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • Evan_BEvan_B

The grain that I was hauling the other day is going into a 100% local beer today. The grain was grown, malted, and kilned in NC. The hops were as well. The yeast too was cultured from a local fig tree. It's going to be a saison. I may have access to this yeast later.

I have been really wanting to try an "all local" beer. I just received my order of rhizomes from arrowhead hops, seem to have some yeast getting busy from my grap vine (though this has not yet been proven), and water is easy. I just need to find a maltster in the area.

• ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

The prickly pear proved to be fruitless (pun not intended). Call me impatient, but after two days and no signs of anything I chucked it. However, I did also take some bark from my grape vine and just threw it in some ~1.040 wort (150ml).

Hot Diggity!!!!!! One day later

good deal!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

I have been really wanting to try an "all local" beer. I just received my order of rhizomes from arrowhead hops, seem to have some yeast getting busy from my grap vine (though this has not yet been proven), and water is easy. I just need to find a maltster in the area.

do it yourself!
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

do it yourself!

I am going to have a little more land to play around on ....
    I kinda like this idea.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Evan_B said:

Evan_B said:

do it yourself!

I kinda like this idea.

I've planted a 4x4 patch of barley and have been growing hops for a few years now. To make a five gal batch you don't need that much land. Then again I really don't know what I am doing at all. My past malting attempts have been a little funky.
    I've tried some wild yeast harvesting and failed bad.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Evan_B said:

Evan_B said:

do it yourself!

I kinda like this idea.

I've planted a 4x4 patch of barley and have been growing hops for a few years now. To make a five gal batch you don't need that much land. Then again I really don't know what I am doing at all. My past malting attempts have been a little funky.

speaking of, how is your basement lab going?

@Dr_Jerryrigger
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

Evan_B said:

do it yourself!

I kinda like this idea.

I think this is going to be a multi-year project for me. I have rhizomes that I plan to plant in the next few days, so I probably won't get a very large yield in the first year. I have been trying to think about what to do as far as barley seed. Colorado Malting Company sells bags of raw 2-row for planting, but theirs is from Colorado. Would that count as being local if I plant Colorado 2-row in California? Haha. I would like to try and find someone in California that will sell some raw 2-row.

As far as the yeast goes. Just added the 150ml starter to an additional 700ml of wort, and started up the stir plate. When I was pouring, the smell coming from the initial starter... ohhhh man, "funky" is an understatement. I wish I could attach a smell file to this post.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    @frydogbrews

Thanks for the grape vine bark idea:
    photo (5).JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    pretty, but how does it taste?
  • Evan_BEvan_B

It's different, that's for sure.
    It's got that "horse blanket" character as they describe it, but I am also get some citrusy tones and light balsamic vinegar.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Evan_B said:

@frydogbrews

Thanks for the grape vine bark idea:

since that idea was discovered using a grant from the National Science Foundation.....Thank you.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

It's got that "horse blanket" character as they describe it, but I am also get some citrusy tones and light balsamic vinegar.

neat. what are you thinking of brewing with it?
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

neat. what are you thinking of brewing with it?

I am unable to brew for a couple months as I work on moving. Once I can brew again I plan on making a bigger batch of a Rye Saison and splitting that up further and try different things. One I am going rack onto mulberries, one will get peppercorns, and I am definitely going to pitch my wild yeast into one.