How do I dry out a beer?
  • jlwjlw
    So here is the situation. I'm brewing my saison tomorrow or Saturday and I just placed my order for ingredients with the LHBS. Only to find out he isn't carrying Wyeast 3711 or doesn't have it in stock. The thing about 3711 is it gives the classic Saison funk and dry's the heck of the beer too. I've been able to get previous saison's down to 1.001 with out adding anything during fermentation.

The yeast I will be using will take it down to around 1.020 so considerabley sweeter.

I'm already mashing at 148* for 90 min. So I guess I could add sugar to the fermentation process to help dry it out? Any other ideas?

Will be using WLP 565 this time around. So if you have any experience with the yeast let me know. Based on what I have read it may stall around 1.020 but if I keep the temp high it will dry out without adding sugars.
  • ThymThym
    I wouldn't change the mash or fermentable sugars. Let this yeast do its thing, then pitch a champagne yeast to finish it off.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

I wouldn't change the mash or fermentable sugars. Let this yeast do its thing, then pitch a champagne yeast to finish it off.

yup, this is what i was going to say!
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah. I did some more research on the yeast and I think I will be ok with temp time and patience. 3711 blows through fermentables fast with no risk of stalling. Seems like this one will do the same with hot ferm temps am if it does stall just let it keep going for a couple of weeks and it will get down to sub 1.0009 range.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    jlw said:

Yeah. I did some more research on the yeast and I think I will be ok with temp time and patience. 3711 blows through fermentables fast with no risk of stalling. Seems like this one will do the same with hot ferm temps am if it does stall just let it keep going for a couple of weeks and it will get down to sub 1.0009 range.

Start with a reasonable temp and work up.
    Sign here______________________________
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah, the common thread seems to be let it warm up on its own. Think I will pitch it around 70 to 75 and see what happens. My other saison's have turned out great with this kind of approach. I'll wrap it in a blanket and set it in the sun.
  • scoobscoob
    I have had great luck with the higher heat ranges, I brewed a saison a few years ago with 565 I think, it fermented in the garage with temps topping 118 towards the tail end.

It was dry as can be, funky as hell and aged well..
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    Your garage doubles as an autoclave.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

I have had great luck with the higher heat ranges, I brewed a saison a few years ago with 565 I think, it fermented in the garage with temps topping 118 towards the tail end.

It was dry as can be, funky as hell and aged well..

@azscoob

I've been thinking too about how to get this guy good and warm. Next week our temps are only supposed to get into the 70's. I think this a new thread.

• scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

Your garage doubles as an autoclave.

Ha!

It's funny because its true!

If not an autoclave, it's at least good as a pasteurization chamber!
    Jesus didn't wear pants