Centennial APA
  • C_BC_B
    Here's the link to the Hopville recipe. I hate the copying and pasting from hopville. So click the dang link.
    What I can't figure out is when I double everything in this Bell's Two Hearted clone I get 42 IBUs where the stated recipe calls out 64 IBUs. So I adjusted the above recipe to 48 at least. Still not really enough, but I'm playing with it.
    Thoughts on the IBU shenanigans?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    the link provided took me to a very broken page in hopville, with no recipe... no bueno.

i put my thoughts about the ibu discrepancy on the other thread.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

the link provided took me to a very broken page in hopville, with no recipe... no bueno.

i put my thoughts about the ibu discrepancy on the other thread.

Oups. Link fixed. I should have caught that...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    in what world does centennial have AA of 5? not the one i live in. i think that's your problem.
    also, i would cut the bittering hops in half and convert them them to mad flava hops. then toss in even more flavor hops to get the ibu's over 70. that's just me though. i mean, if you wanna play with a big dog like centennial, don't leash him up, let him run wild.
  • C_BC_B

in what world does centennial have AA of 5? not the one i live in. i think that's your problem.
    also, i would cut the bittering hops in half and convert them them to mad flava hops. then toss in even more flavor hops to get the ibu's over 70. that's just me though. i mean, if you wanna play with a big dog like centennial, don't leash him up, let him run wild.

Yep. The ones I have are 11.5%.... I like where your head's at.
  • C_BC_B
    Really, flava flava is what I'm after. Not bitter bitter.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

Really, flava flava is what I'm after. Not bitter bitter.

then crank it down to one ounce bittering hops and go from there. don't increase your 20 minute addition any either. increase 15 a little and ten minute A LOT!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    but really, once you change those AA levels, your IBU's are going to shoot through the roof.
  • ceanntceannt

but really, once you change those AA levels, your IBU's are going to shoot through the roof.

Yup ....
    This is why I dislike software that uses n ingredient data base .... they are so often wrong .... even with grain .....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, but hopville makes it very easy to change, its not a static value.
  • C_BC_B

This. I was too lazy to get off my butt and look in the freezer when I plugged it in.
  • ceanntceannt

yeah, but a whole lot of folks don't bother to make changes.........
    see the post above.......
  • ceanntceannt
    and therein lies the danger.......
  • ceanntceannt
    my point is.... if you have to look everything up to check anyway..... and change the dang numbers if necessary... why have the database at all???????
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    because i don't know how to calculate ibu's, and even if i did, I would have to create a database to put the recipe in. Todd whatshisname has already done that with hopville as well as provide me with an online backup to store me recipes in.

on top of that, its free.
  • ceanntceannt

because i don't know how to calculate ibu's, and even if i did, I would have to create a database to put the recipe in. Todd whatshisname has already done that with hopville as well as provide me with an online backup to store me recipes in.

on top of that, its free.

Wimp
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    smarter not harder old man.
  • ceanntceannt
    Ha!
    That's why I made my spreadsheet .... but I enter all ingredient data my self .... that way I know its right!
  • C_BC_B
    Altered... Now its at 72.3 IBUs. Crap, I think that's enough. And I'm going to need more hops.... As is I have enough for the boil. No more. But, I'm thinking about using my false bottom for this one since the boil will be all leaf hops. Then get some pellet or whatever for the dry hops.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    now its sounding like a fairly tasty beer!

i would just bag all those leaf hops, but i don't have a false bottom, only a real bottom.
  • C_BC_B

i would just bag all those leaf hops, but i don't have a false bottom, only a real bottom.

That's probably a good idea if for nothing else to squeeze out all the worty goodness. I kinda wanted to try it see how clear I can get it using the same recirc to chill method but using leaf hops and a false bottom to filter out the break material.
  • C_BC_B
    How much should I expect to lose from a half pound of leaf hops?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

That's probably a good idea if for nothing else to squeeze out all the worty goodness. I kinda wanted to try it see how clear I can get it using the same recirc to chill method but using leaf hops and a false bottom to filter out the break material.

if you plan on dry hopping anyway, you'll end up with a haze from that. bag em up and squeeze every drop out.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

from a half pound, without any downward pressure to squish it out, just guessing i would say at least a half gallon, but probably more. and, especially with later additions, that's a bunch of your hop flavor stuck in there.

don't forget to dry hop it around 4-5 days after ferments starts. you want a little fermentation to be going when you dry hop for maximum nose.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

from a half pound, without any downward pressure to squish it out, just guessing i would say at least a half gallon, but probably more. and, especially with later additions, that's a bunch of your hop flavor stuck in there.

don't forget to dry hop it around 4-5 days after ferments starts. you want a little fermentation to be going when you dry hop for maximum nose.

Oh. I'm surprised its that much... I'll reevaluate that idea.
  • C_BC_B
    Mmk. This one is up next. What kind of yeast shall I use? American Ale 1272 plugged in now. But I prefer White Labs or dry. Maybe S04?
  • C_BC_B
    Or I could do a split batch again. WLP001 in one bucket and WLP007 in the other. What else could I compare?
  • C_BC_B
    And since I forgot to FWH the Pale Ale I did last I'm thinking about that here.
  • C_BC_B
    Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    52% 12 0 Briess 2 Row Pale Malt 2° 34
    22% 5 0 Briess DME Golden Light 5° 43
    17% 4 0 American Vienna 4° 33
    4% 1 0 American Crystal 20L 20° 34
    4% 1 0 Briess Carapils Mash 1° 34
    Specific Gravity
    1.064 OG
    (1.057 to 1.067)
    15.7° Plato
    1.017 FG
    (1.014 to 1.018)
    4.3° Plato

Color
    7° SRM
    13° EBC
    Gold to Copper

Mash Efficiency
    70 %

Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 13.3
    boil 20 min 1.75 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3
    boil 15 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 10.9
    boil 5 min 2 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 8.8
    boil 1 min 3 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 2.8

59.1 IBU

Alcohol
    6.3% ABV
    5% ABW

So here is after I changed to a FWH. The IBUs should actually be closer to 70.
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    Specific Gravity
    1.064 OG
    (1.057 to 1.067)
    15.7° Plato
    1.017 FG
    (1.014 to 1.018)
    4.3° Plato

Color
    7° SRM
    13° EBC
    Gold to Copper

Mash Efficiency
    70 %

Hops
    boil 20 min 1.75 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3

59.1 IBU

Alcohol
    6.3% ABV
    5% ABW

So here is after I changed to a FWH. The IBUs should actually be closer to 70.

To clarify.... 70 IBUs calculated traditionally. More like 59.1 IBUs to taste. Thoughts on the yeast selection?
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

Or I could do a split batch again. WLP001 in one bucket and WLP007 in the other. What else could I compare?

Yeah this question never got answered.
    C_B said:

And since I forgot to FWH the Pale Ale I did last I'm thinking about that here.

Oh right. This is the exact post where this entire thread went off the rails.
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    Specific Gravity
    1.064 OG
    (1.057 to 1.067)
    15.7° Plato
    1.017 FG
    (1.014 to 1.018)
    4.3° Plato

Color
    7° SRM
    13° EBC
    Gold to Copper

Mash Efficiency
    70 %

Hops
    boil 20 min 2 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3

59.1 IBU

Alcohol
    6.3% ABV
    5% ABW

I'm brewing this tomorrow. Except I'm going with pellet hops instead of leaf. my system can handle pellets. I don't feel like experimenting here. I just want beer.

• jlwjlw
    I like us-05
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

I like us-05

This
  • C_BC_B
    I bought 001 and 007 I think. Like every other planned brewday this one didn't get off the ground. X(
    I even thought it would.
  • ceanntceannt
    Bummer
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Bummer

Yes. But this time it is in the interest of better beer. It's 76.8 degrees down there.
  • C_BC_B
    I think that is one of the contributing factors to some of the off flavors I've had in other beers. Like the hot alcohol taste in the Wicked Angel that probably fermented WAY too hot.
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

I bought 001 and 007 I think. Like every other planned brewday this one didn't get off the ground. X(
    I even thought it would.

001 is one of my other favorites. I used to use it all the time until I realized us-05 was cheaper by $6 and was great to use.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_B said:

I even thought it would.

001 is one of my other favorites. I used to use it all the time until I realized us-05 was cheaper by $6 and was great to use.

Ah. Well I'll keep some 001 when I toss it in. The DME for the starter is cheap. And frankly, making starters triples the amount of brewing I do per year. I enjoy it.
  • C_BC_B
    Brewed. Yay. Low OG though...
  • C_BC_B
    Somewhere around 1.052. Might have something to do with the 18 lbs of shit in a 10 lb mash tun.
  • ceanntceannt
    Secret with a stupid thick mash ......
    stir .... stir .... stir ....
    Like every 10 minutes ... and let it mash for 90 minutes
    if you had a giant stirplate that could stir it slow for the entire time ... even better
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

if you had a giant stirplate that could stir it slow for the entire time ... even better

Well that would be considerably more stirring than the none that I did.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

Well that would be considerably more stirring than the none that I did.

oops....

well.... for future reference..... STIR!
  • C_BC_B
    the 007 is down to 1.007 with the krausen dropped and the 001 is down to 1.012 with a thick krausen still.
    I raised the temp up to 68. I think I'll go ahead and dry hop the 007.
  • C_BC_B
    Dry hopping with 2oz of Centennial leaf in the 007 bucket. I'll probably dry hop the other batch in the keg.