Scottish Stout
  • ceanntceannt
    I have never been satisfied with my stouts… they haven’t been “bad”, just have never lived up to my standards. This has been very frustrating for me. I have always pretty much stuck to the “classic” proportions for an Irish Dry Stout… and even with higher gravities they have fallen short. I therefore threw everything I have ever read about the style in the trash, and started from scratch. I normally keep my grain bill simple, this one turned out way more complex than I had ever intended… but everything in it is there for a reason…
    OK… for a five gallon batch….

SUMMARY

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.074
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.019
    (Bitterness) IBU = 43
    (Color) SRM = 47
    (Alcohol) APV = 7.2%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 241

Grain:
    Pounds: Type:

11 Golden Promise

0.4375 Chocolate Malt (7 oz)

0.6875 Roasted Barley (11 oz)

0.4375 Flaked Barley (7 oz)

0.4375 Flaked Oats (7 oz)

0.1875 Peat Malt (3 oz)

0.4375 carafa III (7 oz)

0.25 Crystal malt 90 (4 oz)

Hops:
    2.5 ounces Fuggles (4.3 AA) 60-minutes.

Add 1/4 cup of Bourbon at bottling.
    S-05 yeast.

Mash at 155 degrees (4.5 gallons strike water at 171.2 assuming grain is at 70)
    Sparge twice with 2-gallons each at 170)
    Boil first runnings for 10 minutes before draining first sparge.
    Sparge rests of 20 minutes each.
    Ferment in Primary only for a minimum of 5 weeks.

I may even resort to adding some rice hulls this time…. Need to think on that…
    This is “on-deck” for my next brew day…. So, what do you think?

Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh… thought I would throw a little beer history stuff in here….
    Originally all Stouts were what is today categorized as “Dry Stouts” … called Stout Porter the beer had much higher gravities than the Brown Porters of the day, and the Roasted Barley gave them much more roasted character. Sweet Stouts came about from the practice of back sweetening… often by adding treacle to the glass, and later by the addition of lactose to the keg (later with crystal malts). After the advent of Black Patent Malt and the birth of Robust Porters, Stouts started to degrade… and gravities dropped to session strength. The RIS is probably closer to the original Stouts, but with a somewhat different grain bill, and more hops. The use of un-malted barley and/or oatmeal was common in the old days to smooth out the astringent nature of the roasted barley. The original Stouts probably did not conform to the 60/30/10 rule, and were primarily Brown Malt and Roasted barley….
    Although not an attempt to re-create an historical beer, the recipe above is intended to capture qualities that sadly, no longer exist in the style…
  • C_BC_B
    Where do you come up with all this information? Amazing background.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

Where do you come up with all this information? Amazing background.

What can I say .... I like to read .....
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Treacle was also used in Old Ales.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    OK boys and girls ...... the ingredients for this beast have been ordered ....

Now if I can just keep from drinking the last of my cheap Bourbon ......
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    buy some nice bourbon to take your mind off it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

OK boys and girls ...... the ingredients for this beast have been ordered ....

Now if I can just keep from drinking the last of my cheap Bourbon ......

Ha!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Dang it..... looks like my stuff won't be delivered until Monday now.... it was supposed to show up today.... so no brewday this weekend!
  • LothosLothos
    damn it no brew day
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    Well.... ups delivered my stuff yesterday!
  • ceanntceannt
    unfortunately.... I don't think I have enough hops in the fridge... I forgot that I made some hop tea back when I had that nasty cold.... so I may have to make a run someplace..... its at least an hour drive one-way...... aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

unfortunately.... I don't think I have enough hops in the fridge... I forgot that I made some hop tea back when I had that nasty cold.... so I may have to make a run someplace..... its at least an hour drive one-way...... aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh....

Hahah :(

What do you need?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Hahah :(

What do you need?

Fuggles......... EKG or something would work though.... willamette even.....
  • ThymThym
    I've got an oz of fuggle, a ton of centennial and palisade
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

I won't take your last ounce .... but if I could get an ounce of centennial by this weekend ... I'd trade for a signed copy of my book ......
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

I won't take your last ounce .... but if I could get an ounce of centennial by this weekend ... I'd trade for a signed copy of my book ......

Pm me your address, I'll put it in the mail tomorrow
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

Pm me your address, I'll put it in the mail tomorrow

Sweet! Thanks man
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you should have gotten in on that group buy. i have a half pound of whitbread goldings just chillin in the freezer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

you should have gotten in on that group buy. i have a half pound of whitbread goldings just chillin in the freezer.

Yeah I know ..... I was just a hair too late on that
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

Centennial in place of fuggles? I've got a boatload of fuggles. And WBG. And if I ship it tomorrow, you'll have it Friday.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

Centennial in place of fuggles? I've got a boatload of fuggles. And WBG. And if I ship it tomorrow, you'll have it Friday.

OK .... cool
    figured for bittering only it might be ok .... but ....
  • ceanntceannt
    By the way .... what just happened here ... is the real beauty of this place ... where else would folks jump in like that to help a brother brewer out?
  • ceanntceannt
    OK ... I finally got this beast bottled ... after a very long primary it is smooth and tasty .... can't wait for it to carb up!
  • ceanntceannt
    So...... gave one a try.... carbed up in a little over a week (kinda worries me when they do that, means I will need to drink it fast, it will over carb in a couple months)
    I really like this one... roasted character is there, but not a bit "burnt"... very smooth.
    Will go on my "brew again list"
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

So...... gave one a try.... carbed up in a little over a week (kinda worries me when they do that, means I will need to drink it fast, it will over carb in a couple months)
    I really like this one... roasted character is there, but not a bit "burnt"... very smooth.

Nice. I really don't like the burnt roastedness that comes in many commercial stouts.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

Nice. I really don't like the burnt roastedness that comes in many commercial stouts.

this... I love roasted character, but an acrid astringent "burnt toast" flavor don't do much for me...
  • ceanntceannt
    My son drank one of these over the week-end.... he really liked it.
    He picked up on the smoke right off... (I can't taste it at all...) and said it really added to the overall flavor profile