brew tech development
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    This discussion was created from comments split
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenSBenS

I have thought about doing something similar to brewtroller but with more personalized customization and a complete brewing package instead of the open platform they operate on.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I'm interested in BCS/Brewtroller type stuff. I hope to build a simple something for myself if I ever figure out which first step is in the correct direction.
    Sign here______________________________
    I have a laptop that is basically disposable. It's a pretty weak old dell but I'm hoping it will work. It is stripped clean running XP now. I'd have no qualms killing that and running Linux if needed and I got some know how.
    There has to be some sort of interface between the pc and the switches? What would that be?
    This probably sounds like a middle schooler asking Van Gogh how to sharpen a pencil.
  • BenSBenS

I have a laptop that is basically disposable. It's a pretty weak old dell but I'm hoping it will work. It is stripped clean running XP now. I'd have no qualms killing that and running Linux if needed and I got some know how.

You really wouldn't need to change the OS. Just need a usb powered micro-controller or printed circuit board(PCB) with input/output pins(I/O) to control your heat, pumps, etc.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS

There has to be some sort of interface between the pc and the switches? What would that be?

This probably sounds like a middle schooler asking Van Gogh how to sharpen a pencil.

Nah. You're good. You're exactly right, the interface is a micro-controller or a I/O PCB.
  • BenSBenS
    Mine operates using a micro-controller so I don't have to have a computer hooked up to it to operate. A PCB would, not a big deal though if you have an extra computer. Just depends on what you want.
    And I'd have to program? Or what software is out there?
  • BenSBenS
    Think of a micro-controller as a computer that sends signals to physical things to make them turn on/off how you want them to. Pretty simple right?
  • BenSBenS

And I'd have to program? Or what software is out there?

You would have to program or you could have someone make you a program if you tell them what you want to do, and what equipment you want/have to use.
    I need to get serious on this and actually do some research. Hell, just getting a good start on my RIMS/HERMS would be nice.
  • BenSBenS

I need to get serious on this and actually do some research. Hell, just getting a good start on my RIMS/HERMS would be nice.

It's easier than you think. Once I polish up my code and equipment, I plan on posting it all up here as a sample/tutorial.
  • BenSBenS

In many ways, automating your brewing is easier than making a RIMS/HERMS and makes it much more reliable.
    BenS said:

Think of a micro-controller as a computer that sends signals to physical things to make them turn on/off how you want them to. Pretty simple right?

I've got that much. Like my STC-1000s or MYPIN TA-7. You have an example of a multi-out unit?
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

I've got that much. Like my STC-1000s or MYPIN TA-7. You have an example of a multi-out unit?

Every hobbyist micro-controller I've run across has multiple out pins, many have analog outs and digital outs. Arduino, raspberry pi, TI stellaris, etc.
    Ok, I've looked at the Arduino stuff. I didnt think about that for brewing. Makes sense. Order from Sparkfun? I've read about counterfeit junk going out from eBay and such.
    I guess I'm confused as to how something like Arduino would be easier than a pre built PID for controlling mash temp and other simple operations. I understand when you get into powering valves and pumps to come on and go off by timers or sensors is a whole different ball game.
  • BenSBenS

Ok, I've looked at the Arduino stuff. I didnt think about that for brewing. Makes sense. Order from Sparkfun? I've read about counterfeit junk going out from eBay and such.

I use adafruit.com because their tutorials for all their parts are amazing. I've also bought components from amazon because of my free shipping. I'm sure sparkfun is a great supplier as well. The only place you will find counterfeit stuff is on amazon and ebay so know what you're looking at. I am using an Arduino Uno in my current setup.
  • BenSBenS

I guess I'm confused as to how something like Arduino would be easier than a pre built PID for controlling mash temp and other simple operations. I understand when you get into powering valves and pumps to come on and go off by timers or sensors is a whole different ball game.

Well, it's not going to be easier. But you can program as many PIDs as you want into the arduino (mash, hlt, boil) and not have to buy a seperate unit for each one.
    Ok. They have a load of different official suppliers. It's hard to pick one out of a list of 30 or more.
  • BenSBenS
    If you're really interested jeep, give me a couple weeks to write a tutorial and I'll post it up here so you can see what you'd be getting into.
    BenS said:

Well, it's not going to be easier. But you can program as many PIDs as you want into the arduino (mash, hlt, boil) and not have to buy a seperate unit for each one.

Ah, that makes sense.
    BenS said:

If you're really interested jeep, give me a couple weeks to write a tutorial and I'll post it up here so you can see what you'd be getting into.

Right on. Maybe I'll pick up an Arduino in the meantime. It's something I've wanted to play with anyway.
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

Right on. Maybe I'll pick up an Arduino in the meantime. It's something I've wanted to play with anyway.

If you're interested I would suggest it. They are fun to play with. You can find them (non-counterfeit) on amazon for $20 (Uno)
    BenS said:

BenS said:

If you're interested I would suggest it. They are fun to play with. You can find them (non-counterfeit) on amazon for $20 (Uno)

What do I need other than the board to get started? Any good info resources?
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

BenS said:

What do I need other than the board to get started? Any good info resources?

24Gauge solid wire (connections), breadboard (the bigger the better), and some LEDs to start. Arduino.cc, youtube has some awesome project videos, adafruit, good old fashioned googling
  • BenSBenS
    Oh, and a cheap pack of random sized resistors.
  • BenSBenS
    All of those things, besides the Uno, can be bought from your local radioshack. They are pretty cheap and you don't have to wait on shipping.
  • BenSBenS
    Radioshack also has lots of other parts. buttons, speakers, dials, etc.
    I have LEDs and resistors from some failed project long ago. I might even have 24g hookup wire. My birthday is coming up. This will most likely happen.
  • BenSBenS

I have LEDs and resistors from some failed project long ago. I might even have 24g hookup wire. My birthday is coming up. This will most likely happen.

22G will also work. Braided wire will also work. I've just found 24G solid is easiest to work with. A decent sized breadboard will cost ~$15. A small one can be found online for ~$5.
    What is "decent sized"? I thought the BB400 at ~$7 looked big.
  • BenSBenS
  • BenSBenS
    BB400 is not very big. Measure out the dimensions with a tape measure
  • BenSBenS
    Check out radioshack after work, they have most of the breadboard sizes in stock
    Is that an affiliate link? It should be for putting up with me on this.
  • BenSBenS

Nope, I just googled it. I made the same mistake when I bought my arduino. Got a teeny tiny breadboard that my fat fingers could hardly even use. Went out and bought a bigger one.
    BenS said:

Nope, I just googled it. I made the same mistake when I bought my arduino. Got a teeny tiny breadboard that my fat fingers could hardly even use. Went out and bought a bigger one.

There is an 830 marked down cheap and then it looks like it jumps to 2390
    I'm tempted to pull the trigger this afternoon if I can get it to just over the magic $25 mark.
  • C_BC_B
    BenS said:

I'm in no hurry as I have tons of other projects.... But please do make your write up as detailed as possible with all kinds of pics and stuff. Running my brew rig from a laptop (or whatever other controller) has given me a chubby from the first time I read about it.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    BenS said:

This might he my favorite part.
  • ThymThym
    one other option for using a computer is to utilize a parallel port for control, it's by far the cheapest way to command stuff if you have a computer with one on it. but they aren't very common anymore. and it's a bit trickier if you want to run closed loop
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Lakewood said:

one other option for using a computer is to utilize a parallel port for control, it's by far the cheapest way to command stuff if you have a computer with one on it. but they aren't very common anymore. and it's a bit trickier if you want to run closed loop

I wondered if that was a possibility. I clearly know very little about this stuff but that's a big reason why I saved my wife's laptop from becoming a goodwill donation. It an old Dell Inspiron 2500.
  • ThymThym

thats a good overview of what im referring to, and the GPIO board they reference is a good, inexpensive way to use your computer to control a few data lines.

as they mentioned, the 8 data lines are bi-directional, so you can read from them. but implementing the feedback is a challenge since you need to convert the signal from analog to digital and have a routine to decode it. that ends up being a bit of hardware, but not really out of reach if you're willing to dig in.

I've made all sorts of stuff with microcontrollers, and with computers using parallel ports. no matter what route you go there is a lot of opportunity to learn.
    Like I said, I have the parallel ported laptop. I need to find a cord to cut up and try switching some stuff. Care to point me towards a program editor? And it's VC++ that I need to be looking at?
  • ThymThym

Like I said, I have the parallel ported laptop. I need to find a cord to cut up and try switching some stuff. Care to point me towards a program editor? And it's VC++ that I need to be looking at?

i missed the part where you said the dell had a parallel port, sweet!

for compilers, i've been using visual studio for the most part. however, i had some great experiences with Borland a while back.

going the visual studio route, you will be held to a windows requirement of creating two separate applications, one will be a device driver which will handle the actual interface with the LPT port and the other program will be your GUI. It's not as bad as it sounds, but it does introduce some complexity.

if you can get a copy of Borland Turbo C++ you may be able to bypass the need for a device driver, though that will depend on the version of windows and how locked down it is.

i would actually suggest going straight to the visual c route. you may be able to write the gui in C# though the device driver likely needs to be written in c++.
  • C_BC_B
    I would love to be able to set up my brew rig to run through my laptop. That would be badass!

Lakewood said:

i missed the part where you said the dell had a parallel port, sweet!

for compilers, i've been using visual studio for the most part. however, i had some great experiences with Borland a while back.

going the visual studio route, you will be held to a windows requirement of creating two separate applications, one will be a device driver which will handle the actual interface with the LPT port and the other program will be your GUI. It's not as bad as it sounds, but it does introduce some complexity.

if you can get a copy of Borland Turbo C++ you may be able to bypass the need for a device driver, though that will depend on the version of windows and how locked down it is.

i would actually suggest going straight to the visual c route. you may be able to write the gui in C# though the device driver likely needs to be written in c++.

Wait. What the hell is all this?
  • ThymThym
    @jeepinjeepin

here's a c# tut. havne't tried it, but i would start here.

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/441815/Parallel-Port-Control-with-Csharp-NET-2-0

BTW, C# is fantastically easy to develop with, so use it if you can. there is an express version that is free and likely has all of the tools you need.
  • ThymThym
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9138393/write-to-parallel-port-in-windows-7

no driver needed inpout32.dll is going to handle everything for you.

this has me wanting to go dig up a laptop with a parallel port...
    Downloading sp3 for xp so I can run this stuff.
    I'm
    Lakewood said:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9138393/write-to-parallel-port-in-windows-7

no driver needed inpout32.dll is going to handle everything for you.

this has me wanting to go dig up a laptop with a parallel port...

I'm having some trouble finding a download link for this.
    Found it. Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express now.
  • ThymThym
    I would go with Microsoft C#.net express, it's wayyyyyyy easier to build apps in. That's what I use at work (not express but you know what I mean) for mosrt of my development work.
    Well dangit, I might look that up tomorrow. I have to be at work in less than 6 hours.
  • ThymThym
  • ThymThym
    so i decided to start writing a general purpose windows based automation control software. i dont have any hardware to pair with it just yet, but i think ben is working on that part and we may have something to offer in the marketplace in the not too distant future.

anyway, i'd like some of you guys to download the software and install it just to see if you think the interface makes sense.

the starting point is the HLT control simulation. it will add a PID and a water tank heater simulation and connect them for you.

from there you can add other devices and play around with connecting the devices up.

remember this is an early alpha build. there is a lot of polish to be put on it, but the general idea is in place.

let me know what you think.

http://homebrewforums.net/software/install.zip
    Well, it downloaded, installed, and opened. Good start. I created a PID but don't have any time to play right now. Hmmm, do I take the dinosaur to work and play?
  • ThymThym
    I started a bit of a re-write of the device definitions last night. I relized that while most cases can be satisfied by devices with a single input and a single output, a pid that can take a setpoint value control value from something like a time based scheduler for mash temp ramping would make it way more flexible.

So, a new package will be coming out soon.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

I started a bit of a re-write of the device definitions last night. I relized that while most cases can be satisfied by devices with a single input and a single output, a pid that can take a setpoint value control value from something like a time based scheduler for mash temp ramping would make it way more flexible.

That would just be a timer adjustment though right?
    I did take the dinosaur to work. Battery is shot. $20 for a new battery would be wasted on this machine.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

That would just be a timer adjustment though right?

im thinking an output scheduler. basically you can enter pairs into it and draw a graph of what you want the output to be over time, so you can use it to control something like the Set Point of the PID controlling the HLT so that it hold 135 for a certain amount of time then ramps to 145 holds that then ramps up to 170.

A normal timer is just on-off
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    this is all very cool stuff, but now someone needs to make a simple diy with pictures explaining how to set up the hardware.

this is all very cool stuff, but now someone needs to make a simple diy with pictures explaining how to set up the hardware.

Yes. How would it be setup? Parallel pins? USB interface? Magic?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Yes. How would it be setup? Parallel pins? USB interface? Magic?

more than just that, what stuff do i need to make all the things do brewing things.

an intro to intro automated brew gear, for dummies.
  • ThymThym
    The idea will be a preconfigured software and interface hardware kit, with instructions the specify where everything gets plugged in and what types of peripheral hardware (SSR, heating elements, etc) you would need for a couple of standard configurations. Then you can tailor it from that configuration if for instance you wanted to control valves for a chiller or something.
    What's the timetable on it?
  • BenSBenS
    Soon jeep. I will also post up my personal build as well in the near future, this is just a project lake and I have to make moving into automation easier.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

The idea will be a preconfigured software and interface hardware kit, with instructions the specify where everything gets plugged in and what types of peripheral hardware (SSR, heating elements, etc) you would need for a couple of standard configurations. Then you can tailor it from that configuration if for instance you wanted to control valves for a chiller or something.

Wow. That sounds like a winner. With a well enough written DIY thread and the help of you jokers I think I might try a little automation anyway. With a unit like that (and the help from you jokers) it's a lock.
    Good to know. I have my 1/2 barrels, 1" nps nuts for the elements, and weldless bulkheads and valves. Just some plasma cutting and soldering there. Or I do have burners but I'm trying to get away from that. I have my 10 gallon cooler and most of my parts for making it mashable. I have one pump and a plate chiller too. I need to get across the street to the scrapyard and salvage some stand material.
    I still dont quite get it. When I change values it doesnt seem to be responding.
  • ThymThym

I still dont quite get it. When I change values it doesnt seem to be responding.

the new install package includes a pre-configured machine. install the new version then extract the machine and view file to a directory on your hard drive. open the machine file.

here is a screen shot that describes a little bit about it
    ProcessMachine.png
    785 x 572 - 74K
    Ok, that make much more sense. You can send the hardware now.
  • ThymThym

as soon as @bens gets off his @ss and builds me a prototype...
  • C_BC_B
    Downloaded. Installed. Fucking around with it. How do I know I have the current version since you release a new every day?
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Downloaded. Installed. Fucking around with it. How do I know I have the current version since you release a new every day?

As long as you downloaded it today, it's current.

Well, as current as you can get. I have a newer version with a new pwm output device.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

As long as you downloaded it today, it's current.

Well, as current as you can get. I have a newer version with a new pwm output device.

K. I downloaded it when I postied. I'll play with it some more tomorrow. I messed around with it for a couple minutes and got some kind of error where the options were continue or close. It was time to be done anyway....
  • C_BC_B
    I'll replicate the error tomorrow of you want it.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Yes, please replicate and post the steps to reproduce it so I can fix it. Thanks!
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Yes, please replicate and post the steps to reproduce it so I can fix it. Thanks!

From memory...
    Had the HLT simulator open.
    Attempted to open value scheduler?
    Immediate error.

I think... If that doesn't do it for you I'll replicate and document tomorrow.
  • ThymThym
    K, I'll try, but the sounds like something I've done a hundred times. Were you starting from an empty machine?
  • C_BC_B
    I'm not sure. I played with it for maybe ten minutes.
    I downloaded from the link a page or two back, moved to the correct file on my c drive, opened the zip file, opened the setup file, clicked next until it was done, then opened the(ALPHA) program from the start menu--program files.
    On another note..... The interface I had up was different than the one in your screenshot. That's why I asked about the version. I'll screenshot and document tomorrow. What's the best program to rip a screenshot to? I usually use paint, but I hate paint.
  • ThymThym
    paint is what i use usually.
  • ThymThym
    if you just open the program and just add devices from the menu, then it wont look like the screen shot. the screen shot is a few devices added and configured and is what is saved in the Test.machine file in the zip file.

there are two files, there is a .machine file and a .machine.view file. the machine file has all of the device definitions and settings. the .view is a screen layout for the windows.
  • ThymThym
    oops. ok apparently i never opened a new scheduler after the last change...

anyway, bug fixed. new version is posted. there is now a help->about menu pic. current version is 1.0.0.4
  • ThymThym
    Lakewood said:

oops. ok apparently i never opened a new scheduler after the last change...

anyway, bug fixed. new version is posted. there is now a help->about menu pic. current version is 1.0.0.4

1.0.0.5 is up. includes a couple new devices and a demo machine file in the zip.
  • C_BC_B
    Cool. So there was a bug? Where is the link to the new version short of going back a couple pages and finding it?
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

I've been a bit busy dear. I'm going to put a couple hrs into this project every night after work this week though.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

I've been a bit busy dear. I'm going to put a couple hrs into this project every night after work this week though.

Yay!
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Cool. So there was a bug? Where is the link to the new version short of going back a couple pages and finding it?

Bug is a nice way to say I did something stupid.

http://homebrewforums.net/software/install.zip

new link, new installer.

http://homebrewforums.net/software/ProcessMachines/index.html
  • ThymThym
    @c_dubbs @bens @jeepinjeepin

uninstall your old version via control panel. then click on the installer at this link.
    this will install the latest version and includes an auto-upgrade check function. Each time you launch the application it will check for a new version and ask if you want to install the update or skip it.

http://homebrewforums.net/software/ProcessMachines/index.html

Good deal! I'm booked up the next 2 nights, but I bet I can find a few minutes to squeeze it in.
  • ThymThym
    Thanks for checking it out. I'm going to try to make a menu item that will download sample machines in the file menu so you can load a configuration from the web and then save as to your computer for modification.
  • ThymThym
    menu added
    When do you sleep, @Lakewood ?
  • C_BC_B

When do you sleep, @Lakewood ?

No kidding.