BIAB, missing target SG
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    This discussion was created from comments split
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Hey guys. I'm in the midst of my first all grain BIAB session. I'm finished with 90 min mash and am heating up. I checked gravity and I'm at 1.012. My starting gravity before pitching should be 1.047. Should I expect that to rise as I boil off about two gallons?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i wouldn't think that much.

you do iodine test?
  • BenvarineBenvarine

i wouldn't think that much.

you do iodine test?

No.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I hit all temps well and it only dropped two degrees over 90 min.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    well, when done if your FG is still low, kick that shit up with some honey
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    was the grain old?:
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    or poorly crushed
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm planning honey actually, about 12 oz at flame out. I wonder how many points that adds? It was entered and accounted for in BeerSmith.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Grain is newly bought from store. I ground it at the store too.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    points shmoints! just add three pounds and move on!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    that's what i do
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Three lbs? Nice. I'm just wondering if I should add some DME.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

i'm too far gone to give good advice, other than the three pounds. that's for real.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i won't add honey unless its at least thre pounds
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

add it at flame out to make up whatever gravity points you lost due to efficiency.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Hey guys. I'm in the midst of my first all grain BIAB session. I'm finished with 90 min mash and am heating up. I checked gravity and I'm at 1.012. My starting gravity before pitching should be 1.047. Should I expect that to rise as I boil off about two gallons?

That far off is no bueno. Something has to be wrong. Mash temp, gravity reading, something.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Benvarine said:

add it at flame out to make up whatever gravity points you lost due to efficiency.

How do I figure how much to add?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

That far off is no bueno. Something has to be wrong. Mash temp, gravity reading, something.

i'm inclined to say it's an issue with sparging.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

what is your expected volume and gravity post boil at this point?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

uhhhh.....hello.....i already said 3 pounds
  • BenvarineBenvarine

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

No sparging. BIAB. I raised temp from 150 to 162 before pulling the bag. Heated slowly, took about 15 minutes. Two thermometers. Should I add DME?
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

BIAB right? He should get 80% of projected fermentables without rinsing the grain at all.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Expected volume 6.5 gallons. 1.047
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

No sparging. BIAB. I raised temp from 150 to 162 before pulling the bag. Heated slowly, took about 15 minutes. Two thermometers. Should I add DME?

i see. there are biab techniques that do include sparging. they increase the mash efficiency quite a bit.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

and you're at 1.012 now with 6.5 gallons?
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

I figure you need to add 5.7 pounds of DME to go from .012 to .047 for 6.5 post boil gallons. If your dm is .040 ppg.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Benvarine said:

No, I was at around 8 gallons at 1.029. I will be at 6.5, ideally.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

I figure you need to add 5.7 pounds of DME to go from .012 to .047 for 6.5 post boil gallons. If your dm is .040 ppg.

6.5 is probably preboil. adjust for 5 ish gallons post boil. you already know my stance on math.
  • C_BC_B

Benvarine said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

i see. there are biab techniques that do include sparging. they increase the mash efficiency quite a bit.

You are correct. I jumped the gun on assuming he was doing BIAB was no sparge.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I did do no sparge. But heated kettle with grain in the kettle to 162.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Now I'm confused. Tell me what volume and gravity you are at and what gravity and volume you want to be at post boil.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

6.5 is probably preboil. adjust for 5 ish gallons post boil. you already know my stance on math.

Ha! And yes I do.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Now I'm confused. Tell me what volume and gravity you are at and what gravity and volume you want to be at post boil.

if i'm reading this correctly, he should be at 6.5 gallons of 1.035 wort post boil and will need to boost it .012 points to get to 1.047
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

Same math as earlier adjusted to 5 gallons finished volume would 3.9 pounds. Toss in 4 at the end of the boil and call it good.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Here was my first post

are you boiling already?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Sweet. If I get to the end of my boil, know volume and SG at that time and am low, what is the formula to get it to my target?
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Here was my first post

are you boiling already?

Yes, about 30 min into a 90
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    This is live bitches.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

if i'm reading this correctly, he should be at 6.5 gallons of 1.035 wort post boil and will need to boost it .012 points to get to 1.047

To go 12 points up in 6.5 gallons is going to be ~2 pounds of DME.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm also adding honey post boil, around 12 oz. I'll take a reading after that dissolves. I guess I could check before that and add DME if needed, but leave room for honey.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Sweet. If I get to the end of my boil, know volume and SG at that time and am low, what is the formula to get it to my target?

I'm on mobile so I can't pull up the thread bit there is one out there. Basically gravity points turned into a whole number (1.012 would be 12 points) times the volume equals total batch points. Compare the expected to the actual using the same formula and divide the difference by 40 (DME's average oints per gallon). Confusing?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ok, assuming that preboil gravity was at 1.012 at 8 gallons, you would have needed to add ~6# of dme to get it to 1.038, which would put you at 6.5 gallons of 1.047 wort post boil.

those are your target numbers, correct?

have you started adding hops yet, because gravity will affect your utilization and throw off your ibus.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

ok, assuming that preboil gravity was at 1.012 at 8 gallons, you would have needed to add ~6# of dme to get it to 1.038, which would put you at 6.5 gallons of 1.047 wort post boil.

have you started adding hops yet, because gravity will affect your utilization and throw off your ibus.

Oh nice FZ... IBUs hadn't even crossed my mind.

i figured the gravity issue should be dealt with first, but as this is a live event, urrything has to happen at once.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I f'd up one number. I was actually at 1.029. I forgot to account for temp. I converted it but when I originally posted I wrote down the reading without being converted. I already added my first hops. I learning a lot from this, so it's awesome regardless of the outcome. And you guys rock.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

C_dubbs said:

Oh nice FZ... IBUs hadn't even crossed my mind.

i figured the gravity issue should be dealt with first, but as this is a live event, urrything has to happen at once.

Just dump stuff in, You've made beer before it's not hard.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Thanks Jerry. Good advice. My head is spinning a bit, the pints of oatmeal stout, stressing gravity and trying to do math. Learnin' is hard. And I might be getting a little too much CO in my garage.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

I f'd up one number. I was actually at 1.029. I forgot to account for temp. I converted it but when I originally posted I wrote down the reading without being converted. I already added my first hops. I learning a lot from this, so it's awesome regardless of the outcome. And you guys rock.

Just dump in 2 pounds right now. That's the happy median and your IBUs won't be totally jacked up.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

ok, that's much closer to what it should have been. in that case, you only need 2# of dme to make it up. i'd pull off a pint or three of the boiling wort, mix in the dme and return it to the kettle. then you can proceed as normal.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

Just dump in 2 pounds right now. That's the happy median and your IBUs won't be totally jacked up.

Unless you want them a little jacked...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

yes, but do it my way so you don't get clumps and subsequent scorching.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

it's not fry, he probably doesn't want 9% abv hop water.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

3 pounds! why is no one listening?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

it's not fry, he probably doesn't want 9% abv hop water.

sounds delicious
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.

wooo! last minute brewing adjustments. i haven't done this in a while.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

3 pounds! why is no one listening?

we don't belong to the hive mind.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.

Nor have I, but that's because it's not an adjustment if you don't start with a plan.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.

Nor have I, but that's because it's not an adjustment if you don't start with a plan.

i'm just too tuned into my system. i don't even measure water volumes or calculate temps anymore, but i almost always hit my targets.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.

i'm just too tuned into my system. i don't even measure water volumes or calculate temps anymore, but i almost always hit my targets.

Me too. I don't even weigh things out.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Ben, when you pulled the grain bag out did you hang it above the kettle to let it drain really well? also, you can pour the top off water through the hanging grain bag to get a psuedo sparge.

sounds a little late at this point, but definitely want to do that next time.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.

i still weigh out my grains and hops. i could probably get really close just by sight at this point, but i still use the scale just because.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

Ben, when you pulled the grain bag out did you hang it above the kettle to let it drain really well? also, you can pour the top off water through the hanging grain bag to get a psuedo sparge.

I did hang the bag. Didn't top up, started with all the water I needed. I just added 1.5 lbs of DME. Its all I had. I took photos, was planning a thread, I'll see how all this turns out.
  • ThymThym

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

This. Do this.

i still weigh out my grains and hops. i could probably get really close just by sight at this point, but i still use the scale just because.

if you aren't trying to have a repeatable process/product then it doesnt really matter.

i like to know what i did (or did wrong)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

I did hang the bag. Didn't top up, started with all the water I needed. I just added 1.5 lbs of DME. Its all I had. I took photos, was planning a thread, I'll see how all this turns out.

was the 1.047 with or without the honey addition?
  • C_BC_B

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Benvarine said:

was the 1.047 with or without the honey addition?

Sounded like beer smith says with. Which blows up my math. But makes the 1.5 lbs he added closer to right.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Damn. Final is 1.057. Guess the DME was overkill. Should have left it out.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Benvarine said:

That's not that far off is it? Also a good SG for most beer
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I don't really dig beers with a SG of less than 1.055 so I'd just note the recipe change and roll with it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

how much honey did you add? and what was the final volume? that seems a little high for 1.5# of dme added in.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Final volume around 5.5, added 12 oz honey. Put 5 in fermentor. I should not have added the DME. I would have been much closer to my target. I'll brew again in a few weeks and see what happens without adding DME. It is a good learning process and a totally new process and rig setup for me.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Final volume around 5.5, added 12 oz honey. Put 5 in fermentor. I should not have added the DME. I would have been much closer to my target. I'll brew again in a few weeks and see what happens without adding DME. It is a good learning process and a totally new process and rig setup for me.

I am thoroughly confused about this whole deal then....
  • ThymThym
    My guess is that the initial reading was a mis-read due to hot wort that hadn't been boied down, and may have even had some stratification in the kettle.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

My guess is that the initial reading was a mis-read due to hot wort that hadn't been boied down, and may have even had some stratification in the kettle.

yeah, this is the main take home point i think. tasking readings on hot wort on the scale of the average homebrewer and trying to use the equations to act for the heat is a minefield of problems.....largest being sediment layering (stratification) which is kind of impossible to avoid at that stage in a 5-7 gallon batch.

a refractometer kind of helps here, but not entirely
  • C_BC_B
    Another take home point here is to trust your system and don't freak out.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Another take home point here is to trust your system and don't freak out.

yeah, pretty much, dont freak out while brewing... ever. it's never a big deal, and you almost always end up with beer.