Keg Oaking Fail
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from another thread.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    @azscoob
    Your fishing line tied to a bag sticking through the keg lid thing sucks. It sucks donkey wanger.

themonstermasher
  • C_BC_B
    I just had what will be referred to as the great keg oaking debacle of 2013.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

@azscoob
    Your fishing line tied to a bag sticking through the keg lid thing sucks. It sucks donkey junk.

yeah, that won't work. i've tried that.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    can never get the seal to form
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    even with 2lb monofilament
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    and lots of keg lube hoping it would seal the tiny gap
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    no dice
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    just tie it to the small post on the inside of the keg lid. gotta tie super tight though
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

@azscoob
    Your fishing line tied to a bag sticking through the keg lid thing sucks. It sucks donkey cock.

yeah, that won't work. i've tried that.

Pretty sure that is exactly what scoob said to do. Didn't work. And since this keg has been carbing in the basement at 40 psi it started to foam as soon as I took the lid off. Then really went foamy when I dropped the bag of oak chips in it. Bad news.
  • scoobscoob
    Not fishing line, waxed dental floss! Fishing line will never work, it's too thick!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

just tie it to the small post on the inside of the keg lid. gotta tie super tight though

i use cotton thread and tie it to the beer out diptube.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i use cotton thread and tie it to the beer out diptube.

boiled first, to sanitize.
  • C_BC_B
    I ended up tossing the keg into the bath tub, throwing a towel over the lid and pulling the pressure relief. Beer foam everywhere. Got the lid off, crammed the line in the keg, fighting the foam all the way and finally getting the keg sealed again. If this doesn't get infected it will be purely because of the alcohol in the beer.
  • scoobscoob
    Dental floss or thread, never had a seal issue, but I also have new seals in all my kegs
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Not fishing line, waxed dental floss! Fishing line will never work, it's too thick!

Oh.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

Dental floss or thread, never had a seal issue, but I also have new seals in all my kegs

i've got new o-rings in all my kegs, but some are still finicky when it comes to sealing.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I ended up tossing the keg into the bath tub, throwing a towel over the lid and pulling the pressure relief. Beer foam everywhere. Got the lid off, crammed the line in the keg, fighting the foam all the way and finally getting the keg sealed again. If this doesn't get infected it will be purely because of the alcohol in the beer.

if you're going to do that, use the gas in port and vent the air reaaaaally slowly.
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

F me. I'll try that next time. Maybe on an uncarbed keg.
  • scoobscoob
    You lube the o-rings up nice and good right?

Just like a balloon knot
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Mmmm lube
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

if you're going to do that, use the gas in port and vent the air reaaaaally slowly.

It was pretty much foaming like hell at this point. Venting slowly didn't matter.
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

You lube the o-rings up nice and good right?

Just like a balloon knot

Not enough I guess. But then again I used fishing line. A whole tube may not have been enough.
  • ceanntceannt
    And why did you carb the keg first again????,
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    That was a recipe for disaster from the git go
  • ceanntceannt
    Kinda like when the stewardess backed into the propeller .....
  • ceanntceannt
    Disaster
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

And why did you carb the keg first again????,

Because I thought about the oak/bourbon after I had the keg on gas. And it would have been a non issue if it had sealed.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    azscoob said:

2 lb mono is thinner than any dental floss i have ever seen. floss is around 6 lb size. still, even with brand new seals, i don't get an airtight seal. that's why i have tied to something inside the keg and not worried about it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

azscoob said:

2 lb mono is thinner than any dental floss i have ever seen. floss is around 6 lb size. still, even with brand new seals, i don't get an airtight seal. that's why i have tied to something inside the keg and not worried about it.

about 1/2 the floss i've used is flat, so it would likely form a good seal.
  • ThymThym

azscoob said:

about 1/2 the floss i've used is flat, so it would likely form a good seal.

my thoughts exactly.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • themonstermasherthemonstermasher
    Pics? You should have taken pics of this.

FuzzyC_BThym
  • pics or it didn't happen
  • C_BC_B

Pics? You should have taken pics of this.

I did not. Next time I'll have the wife snap a couple off.