Going all grain with sanke kegs
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm looking for advice. I intend to start brewing all grain. I have collected three sanke kegs and will use those. I use one for a boil kettle now so will use the others as MLT and HLT. Any suggestions on pieces of equipment to include, single tier, two tier, how many pumps, burners, insulating MLT, false bottom, etc. I am moving to all grain slowly and will not make a huge investment all at once, but rather piece it together as money allows. Ideally with a few key pieces at first I would be able to start all grain brewing before I achieve my 'ideal' setup eventually. Baby steps. :D
  • C_BC_B
    With some cheap Quick Disconnects and high temp hose you can do one pump easy. You can even batch fly sparge with one pump if you go multi tiered.
    I have zero experience mashing in a keg. I would think temp stabilization would be tricky to get. Maybe go with a false bottom then direct fire with an inline thermometer after the pump?
    Also, I think recirculating while you chill is where it's at. From what I've read it can really make a difference in the 5 minute to flameout hop addition. You can do this with everything you already have plus the pump regardless of what type of chiller.
    Baby steps is the right way to approach it. Once you get going, you will undoubtedly change your mind about something. My goal with my system is to be able to make a modification or two then brew with it. Then make a couple more changes.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    For holding temps, buy an insulating foam bed roll from a sporting goods store. Makes a huge difference.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

For holding temps, buy an insulating foam bed roll from a sporting goods store. Makes a huge difference.

Can you fire the mash tun if it has the bed role on it?
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Can you fire the mash tun if it has the bed role on it?

Bedroll? No. Some other type of non flammable high temp insulation, yes.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lake, you use sanke kegs don't you? Do you insulate and fire them? I guess it doesn't get that cold in SoCo.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Are you dead set on using the keggle as an MLT? Unless you plan on eventually going to a HERMS or RIMS system, then it may be more problematic trying to keep temps due to the high heat losses. Why not do what I do and use a cooler for the MLT and keggles for the BK and HLT?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Ace_Club said:

Are you dead set on using the keggle as an MLT? Unless you plan on eventually going to a HERMS or RIMS system, then it may be more problematic trying to keep temps due to the high heat losses. Why not do what I do and use a cooler for the MLT and keggles for the BK and HLT?

I guess I'm not set on it, but was planning on it. Would it make it that much easier? Simpler is better I know.
  • C_BC_B
    Ace_Club said:

All of this. Even with RIMS and HERMS unless you go direct fired RIMS there isn't a need for it to be a keggle/kettle.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Ace_Club said:

I guess I'm not set on it, but was planning on it. Would it make it that much easier? Simpler is better I know.

Are you doing any grain now? Other than specialty grains? What do you use as an MLT now?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I don't. Just steeping grains in BK. also a mini mash, but did on stovetop and quantity was small, so no MLT yet.
  • scoobscoob
    I currently use a couple turkey fryer burners to fire my kegs, I have a HLT, and a boil kettle, I use a cooler as my mash tun and have never had an issue with it, great temp stability, and enough room to do a 5 gallon batch of 1.110 beer, if I had a HERMS or RIMSsetup it might be different
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    I use a keggle as a mashtun. It is not fired or heated in any way. I have a layer of bed roll insulation around it which helps maintain temps, but I really need to coat it with a couple inches of spray foam insulation since it is difficult to maintain temps for the mash duration.
  • ThymThym
    I had planned to go to a herms setup, which is why I didn't really worry about insulating it originally. But I doubt I'll be converting to HERMS anytime soon. So, a can or three of Great Stuff should do the trick.
  • ThymThym
    If you plan on direct firing the mashtun, you will need to use a hightemp insulation, like fiberglass mat or batting.