Foam control
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Boil really foamed up .... nice dark brown foam ... no boilover though .....but it got close ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Boil really foamed up .... nice dark brown foam ... no boilover though .....but it got close ....

How do you control foam?
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

Stir the heck out of it. Cut the heat back a bit. Pray.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

I use a squirt bottle with water. And stirring.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

This ......
  • C_BC_B
    I've got a half bottle of fermcap left. But it's outdated and I'm not sure about using it?
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

I've got a half bottle of fermcap left. But it's outdated and I'm not sure about using it?

Never tried it ...... always had pretty good results just stirring the surface tension vigorously
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

5 little hop pellets will kill the foam also. not enough to worry about changing ibu's. no matter how long your boil lasts.

i used to stir and spritz and all that shit, now i just plink in 5 pellets as the foam grows.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

5 little hop pellets will kill the foam also. not enough to worry about changing ibu's. no matter how long your boil lasts.

i used to stir and spritz and all that shit, now i just plink in 5 pellets as the foam grows.

I'll try that.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

I don't brew anymore.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

How do you control foam?

I don't brew anymore.

That's a pretty solid way to cure the foam.
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

When I used it, it seemed to work well.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I stir and just bought ferm cap for my starters, used it in the boil last week, but I brew 5 g in a keg, so lots of room, but I've been close before.
  • C_BC_B
    The batch I did Monday was just foamy nearly the entire time. It nearly boiled over at least a dozen times from hot break till I killed the flame. Of course that puts some of the hops in that foam and leaves them on the sidewall of the kettle where they'll do nothing.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

The batch I did Monday was just foamy nearly the entire time. It nearly boiled over at least a dozen times from hot break till I killed the flame. Of course that puts some of the hops in that foam and leaves them on the sidewall of the kettle where they'll do nothing.

you may need to boil a little harder. once you truely get past hot break, the foam should subside.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny