Help with plumbing a single tier rig please!
  • scoobscoob
    So I'm finally going to build a single tier rig and give up on the stack equipment and pray it stays method of brewing, I have a first sketch of the plumbing for it, I have one pump, two keggles and a cooler tun.

I think I have valves for everything, and the mash tun will have disconnectsand short lengths of silicone hose so it can be easily removed for cleaning mid-brew (good suggestion Lakewood!)

Have I missed something, should I move or add a valve, what say you?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Sketch 1
    2012-10-22 20.51.14.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    one thing that comes to mind is that you probably want to have a dump valve at the lowest point in the system, probably right at the pump. that helps to prime and drain. if you swapped the tee at the pump inlet for a 4-way cross fitting, you could add a drain valve there.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    otherwise this looks very similar to the valve arrangement i have
  • ThymThym
    oh, and i would switch the whirlpool return with the whirlpool feed. you want to return the wort at 1/3 to 1/2 height, and draw off of the very top of the kettle
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

one thing that comes to mind is that you probably want to have a dump valve at the lowest point in the system, probably right at the pump. that helps to prime and drain. if you swapped the tee at the pump inlet for a 4-way cross fitting, you could add a drain valve there.

Never thought of adding a dump valve, I will add that
    Lakewood said:

oh, and i would switch the whirlpool return with the whirlpool feed. you want to return the wort at 1/3 to 1/2 height, and draw off of the very top of the kettle

Aah ok, I will swap those up as well
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    i think you will have a pretty solid system there.
  • scoobscoob
    As long as I configure the piping so it's simple to dismantle for cleaning and whatnot
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    So I have redrawn the plumbing to reflect lakes suggestion of a drain valve below the pump, and i have swapped locations of the inlet and outlet points for the whirlpool.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

So I have redrawn the plumbing to reflect lakes suggestion of a drain valve below the pump, and i have swapped locations of the inlet and outlet points for the whirlpool.

I don't see it.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

Me either. I need a black light, STAT!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

Never posted it damn it! I'm such a tard!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

post away. i look forward to reviewing it.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

I look forward to using your design to build mine and claim it as my very own in what will soon become a YouTube build video.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

I look forward to using your design to build mine and claim it as my very own in what will soon become a YouTube build video.

Ha! - first one to the interwebz wins!
  • scoobscoob
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

Maybe I should post a YouTube video as well of the build!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

CB said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

That's really the only way to guarantee credit. Wear a kilt and build it outside on a windy day.
  • scoobscoob
    CB said:

azscoob said:

CB said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I don't see it.

That's really the only way to guarantee credit. Wear a kilt and build it outside on a windy day.

Done.
    Jesus didn't wear pants