Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
    Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 33.4 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
    9 lbs                 Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        69.2 %       
    3 lbs                 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        23.1 %       
    1 lbs                 Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         3        7.7 %        
    1.75 oz               Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        23.6 IBUs    
    2.00 oz               Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           8        0.0 IBUs     
    1.00 oz               Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 mi Hop           5        9.8 IBUs     
    1.10 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        6        -            
    1.0 pkg               French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.00 Yeast         7        -            

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
    ----------------------------
    Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time    
    Mash In           Add 16.25 qt of water at 162.9 F        148.0 F       90 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.09gal, 3.59gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:

Use Wyeast 3711 Saison yeast. This yeast strain will chew through anything. Let this yeast ferment hot you will not be disappointed in the result as this yeast puts off fantastic esters.
  • jlwjlw

This is my original Saison recipe. After doing some reading about the history of saison's I wanted to come up with a recipe that was true to the style.

Grain bill is simple.

Friends love this beer. One friend who doesn;t evben likesaisons loves this beer.

I'll brew this again in January and let it bulk age for a couple of months and then bottle condition for a couple of months so it is ready to drink in June or July when the wether gets hot.

• jlwjlw
    I guess it's time for an update here.

I brewed this 6 weeks back and you may recall that my LHBS did not have 3711 so I used WLP 565. It was definitely a slower fermentation and did not dry out as much as 3711. I thibk it finally got down to 1.006 to 1.004. 3711 would have taken down to 1.000-1.002 in less than two weeks. 565 stalled and then I had to give it a good swirl to rouse and cranked the heat up for two more weeks.

I kegged this last night and my first thought was I smelled vinegar and thought uh oh somethings wrong. I asked my wife to also smell and she was confident there is no vinegar smell but more of a liquor smell and I think that may be attributed to it being very green. The sample tasted ok and was definitely sweeter than 3711. It has the funk of a saison so I will be curious to see what this is like in a couple of weeks.

Next time I brew this beer I will go back to 3711.
  • CZsCZs
    While waiting for the rest water to heat up - I saw this - Styrian Goldings is such a go-to for Saisons - I haven't used Fuggles yet - what's that like? I love 3711 - are you letting this just free-rise outside in the heat or inside? If you make a low ABV saison -4% range - it'll eat it in less than a week's time. I would use that sucker for cleanup on anything if you aren't worried about being exact to style. It is the Jason Voorhees of strains - you can't stop it!
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

While waiting for the rest water to heat up - I saw this - Styrian Goldings is such a go-to for Saisons - I haven't used Fuggles yet - what's that like? I love 3711 - are you letting this just free-rise outside in the heat or inside? If you make a low ABV saison -4% range - it'll eat it in less than a week's time. I would use that sucker for cleanup on anything if you aren't worried about being exact to style. It is the Jason Voorhees of strains - you can't stop it!

I like the fuggles for the earthy tones you get. When I put this recipe together I did a lot of reading about traditional saison's and that earthy funk of is what I was going for. I was kind of envisioning that farm in Southern France I guess.

I would normally let it free rise, but we hit such a cool spell that it wouldn't get up much higher than 75*. So I put the heater on it and cranked it up to 90*. This beer was in primary for four weeks and dry hopped for two weeks.
  • ceanntceannt
    I love fuggles....
    Styrian Goldings is actually a Fuggles variety...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I love fuggles....

Yep, which may have been why I chose fuggles originally.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I love fuggles....

this. all day.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    Going to try a slight variation today and put the send hop addition in at 10 or 5 minutes.
  • jlwjlw
    75% efficiency. Not bad, considering I have a had a few barely make 70%.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

75 to 80 is about where I like to be. Higher than than and you overwash and get tanins. 70 is typical for me if im doing a high gravity batch without a long boil
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

75 to 80 is about where I like to be. Higher than than and you overwash and get tanins. 70 is typical for me if im doing a high gravity batch without a long boil

Interesting I didn't know about the. Over wash.

Brew day went really well. Sitting in the fermenter. I'll start ramping up temp in another day or so. All the way way up to 85*.
  • jlwjlw
    @ceannt here is my recipe. It's traditional (historical) i guess you could say.
  • ceanntceannt
    Thanks @jlw
    I just grabbed my notes. The recipe I formulated is pretty similar, but with a higher percentage of Vienna, and just a touch of wheat malt.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.